Toyota Landcruiser Troopy 1990 FJ75 3F problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Newbie here :) I have a problem with my 1990 Troopcarrier 3F Engine. I’m a troopy owner for two months and recently the car loses revs while parking & driving. It’s very weird just happens sometimes feels like the engine shuts down / loses revs but just for seconds. I would really appreciate any help just starting with cruiser so I have very little knowledge. I can provide a video of it just dont know how to post that :)
Thanks

9BF27AC7-5BEA-4522-A267-D009404EF3B4.jpeg

Welcome, and congratulations on the new to you Troopy.

This is a pretty huge, wide open range for possible causes to what you are experiencing. From the one picture, it appears that the troopy is well maintained and looked after, so do you have a history of documents or receipts for maintenance?

You want to start with knowing what has been completed to date IE: Full tune-up, any VSV replaced, fuel filters, air filter, plugs, wires, carb rebuild, etc...

Then you want to start inspecting all the little vacuum lines, plug wires, plugs, filters, etc and replace as necessary. Could be simply due to some bad fuel, or needing some little part replaced, but it could be related to fuel delivery, air supply, or spark. Pretty wide range of things to look at. I wish you good fortune in your sojourn! :cheers:

i'll second to start with a complete tune up if you dont know the history

for example you could chase what you think is a carb problem, only to find out later and frustrated it was bad points gap or a cracked spark plug insulator.

Welcome, and congratulations on the new to you Troopy.

This is a pretty huge, wide open range for possible causes to what you are experiencing. From the one picture, it appears that the troopy is well maintained and looked after, so do you have a history of documents or receipts for maintenance?

You want to start with knowing what has been completed to date IE: Full tune-up, any VSV replaced, fuel filters, air filter, plugs, wires, carb rebuild, etc...

Then you want to start inspecting all the little vacuum lines, plug wires, plugs, filters, etc and replace as necessary. Could be simply due to some bad fuel, or needing some little part replaced, but it could be related to fuel delivery, air supply, or spark. Pretty wide range of things to look at. I wish you good fortune in your sojourn! :cheers:
Hi mate, thanks for your reply. Yes I have books about maintenance ect. She was already at the mechanic for Engine seals ... the problem just appeared after it came back from them. We thought the ignition coil changed it but it wasn't the problem. Just add a video of it in the following link if it helps :)

i'll second to start with a complete tune up if you dont know the history

for example you could chase what you think is a carb problem, only to find out later and frustrated it was bad points gap or a cracked spark plug insulator.
we had everything major done by a mechanic so it probably more of a small issue like a cracked cable or anything very hard to find

Hi mate, thanks for your reply. Yes I have books about maintenance ect. She was already at the mechanic for Engine seals ... the problem just appeared after it came back from them. We thought the ignition coil changed it but it wasn't the problem. Just add a video of it in the following link if it helps :)

If the problem started just after having it at the shop, I would start with taking it back to them to see if they had disturbed something or did not put something back the way it should be.

Otherwise, help me out here, but the speed does not seem to change in the video, does the engine stall/lose power as well?

It seems to completely cut out, I would start with checking your grounds. It seems like something is not making very good contact.

I just got my 3F as well and with our vehicles at this age I did simple ones first and they are maintenance item
- Replace all fluids for peace of mind
- Replace spark plugs (found spent electrode/gaps)
- Inspect carbs (found perished accelerator pump)
- Replaced points (found dry distributor with "age dust")
- Adjust valves
- Replaced fuel filter

All went very well until few days before roadworthy inspection and I had major issue with timing gear (see other thread). Mine is at 516,000km so if yours is near that I'd replace the timing gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom