Toyota KZJ78 Australian Japanese Import (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

im in Australia and the kzj78 is not factory imported here so I need to understand what alternatives is can use for parts/70grafes etc.

for example I’m trying to fit a towbar but I can’t find anyone who sells them for this model. Surely another model will fit?

also 8 need an English owners manual so I can determine towing specs among otherthings.

all help appreciate.

I can't help you with a towbar or manual but I can help you with the general parts question. Go to ToyoDIY.com and sign up; it's free. From the website you can do a few different things. You can, for example, using your year and model or VIN look up parts on your vehicle by diagrams, description or number. If you have a part number you can also, from the home page, search for that part number and it will tell you every model that it was used on. Hope that helps.

Hi all

im in Australia and the kzj78 is not factory imported here so I need to understand what alternatives is can use for parts/70grafes etc.

for example I’m trying to fit a towbar but I can’t find anyone who sells them for this model. Surely another model will fit?

also 8 need an English owners manual so I can determine towing specs among otherthings.

all help appreciate.
The Kaymar rear bar for 76 Series Workmate will fit nicely. The towbar is rated at 3,500 kg trailer weight and 350 kg ball weight. See here:
Kaymar Rear Bars, Wheel & Jerrycan Carriers

Nic Cardin @divemedic has fitted one to his PZJ77 here in US. Your rig should be the same and we have fitted tht kit to LJ 77s here. See here:
Kaymar 76 Series Workmate fitment for 77 Series

Finally, you can swap out the 24 gallon fuel tank for a 34 gallon item from Long Range Automotive - with removal of the under-floor toolbox. See here:

Hi all

all help appreciate.
Hi D kzj78,
I’m in the exact same boat in Australia just got my Kzj78 a week ago and trying to figure out the towing situation. I’m hoping as your post was from a 2 years ago you might have gathered some wise information you could share TIA :)

Hi D kzj78,
I’m in the exact same boat in Australia just got my Kzj78 a week ago and trying to figure out the towing situation. I’m hoping as your post was from a 2 years ago you might have gathered some wise information you could share TIA :)
The factory frame mount in the center isn't real strong. I think the best way to setup for towing is either a custom receiver hitch bolted to the outer frame rails or the Kaymar bumper upgrade has a receiver hitch built into it.

The factory frame mount in the center isn't real strong. I think the best way to setup for towing is either a custom receiver hitch bolted to the outer frame rails or the Kaymar bumper upgrade has a receiver hitch built into it.
Thanks green thing, that’s what I’ve gathered from what I’ve read so far. When you say the factory mount in the centre isn’t real strong are you saying don’t tow with it at all or only use is for light loads? I’m only looking to tow a small 3m poptop caravan probably 1000kg fully loaded.
Hopefully I can find someone in Australia willing to do a custom receiver hitch as I have chrome bumpers so the kaymar bumper upgrade would ruin the aesthetic.

The kaymar bumper saved me once already when an old lady clipped the end of my bumper one day in heavy traffic when she was changing lanes and all I had to do was remove the paint from her car that was on the bumper. To me personally, the kaymar doesn't ruin the aesthetic and the hitch is built in very well.

While I love the look of the OEM bumper, it doesn't do much for protection and is a rust magnet and also damage multiplier IMHO.

@KZJ78 lover like many others, I also installed a curt bolt on receiver hitch that matches the bolt pattern but I think that crossmember is really only designed for pulling your rig out of a ditch, not for any significant towing. I installed mine solely for the purpose of a bike rack, and it works ok for that. Surprisingly, a bike carrier with 4 bikes on it twisted the frame rail some vertically on a recent road trip, I was kind of surprised it was that weak. I personally would recommend a more robust receiver hitch mounted to the outer frame rails if towing anything more than a couple hundred pounds. There are some universal kits you could buy and install yourself or a local fabricator could easily do something I would think. I'll be going the Kaymar route eventually like @FJ73Texas said, its just way stronger and serves many other purposes. kinda $pendy though.

KZJ78 tow hitch.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom