Toyota killing off 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are killing off the '70 series to sell more HiLux! Here the mine simply keeps buying more HiLux pickups as they are basically scrap after a year or two!

It's funny everytime I hear the word hilux I think of the top gear video where they durability test the hilux pickup. However the newer version is much more like a bubble mobile tacoma then a real truck!

It's funny everytime I hear the word hilux I think of the top gear video where they durability test the hilux pickup. However the newer version is much more like a bubble mobile tacoma then a real truck!

...... " However the newer version is much more like a bubble mobile Tacoma then a real truck" ........
This should be interesting....:D

I just don't understand how Toyota would kill the 70 series for some stupid reasons like electronics and abs etc... from what i understand there is a big market for the 70 series around te world... for example here in Venezuela ALL the goberment trucks are troopys even though Toyota Venezuela doesn't sell them anymore because of political issues with the imports... and as Venezuela there are a lot more countries like Africa, Australia, arab etc and that's leaving outside all organizations around the world that use troopys everyday for múltiple purposes....

A just can't see the hilux replacing a 75 series even with a diesel engine... here in Venezuela post of people uses hilux because is the only 4x4 with the fortunner but is just not comparable for heavy duty work.... all the people that have hilux if they have a farm or any other hard work they have 75 series... for daily drive hilux for hard work 75 series... that simple!

It will always come down to cost - and a company like Toyota hasn't got to where it has by making cost-ineffective decisions. In the example used, the Australian Mining Industry* requirements changed to need ABS and airbags a few months after the next Gen 7x design was signed off, and more than likely, tooling had been put in place. No doubt they would have simply ordered a ROI report on if it was cost effective to a] re-tool for the next Gen or b] continue on without the 7x. Only time will tell.

Sucks but there ain't no Japanese businessman getting nostalgic cause Farmer Joe can't drive his Cruiser to the pub every week.

It's funny everytime I hear the word hilux I think of the top gear video

Even here at Marlin Crawler I have to be careful when using "Hilux" as the majority of our customers are not familiar with this name and thus it jeopardizes our search engine ranking. But as for me, I've been wheeling my 1981 HILUX here in the states since I built it in 2004 :D

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg

Thanks to my friend Kelvin for sending me these SWEEEEEET Hilux badges from down under!! :D :D

a company like Toyota hasn't got to where it has by making cost-ineffective decisions.
X2. Chrysler must be making a profit on the Wranglers as they are still in production, so there _is_ a market for live axle 4WD trucks here in the US, so I attribute either the "cost to play" is too high for Toyota to jump into the Jeep-dominated market, or they are content in making profit to soccer moms and grandmas who drive their Toyota Tacoma's to the grocery store at 3pm every afternoon to pick up cat food. Clearly it's the latter.

BigMike

Just saw this. Horrid news.

I hope there is enough demand and riots that they are forced to retrofit current safety/electronics to make it legal stateside. :deadhorse:

All this Hilux/Landcruiser talk reminded me of the first Hilux ad that was played here in NZ, The Rough guy in the Ad is Barry Crump a bit of a NZ Icon.

The new Hiluxs dont last in the mines, we have two of them that the safety officers use. They go underground once a week maybe, and they end up replacing there suspension bushes, cvs etc alot more regularly. Theyll just become like most vehicles these days. Disposable. If Toyota are goin to supply Hiluxs cheap enough to big mining companies they may just get replaced every 6mnths etc instead of yearly/two yearly like the Cruisers. I know our last 75series on site costs $4000 a month in maintenance. Hate to think what thatd be if it was replaced by a Hilux.

Hello All,

One reason i am having Crushers overbuild my troopie is that i just don't trust new cars. Mercedes, since somewhere in the '80's (a bit of a guess), started building cars to a price point, instead of engineering them to a standard. Volvo, about the same. Mercedes' reputation has suffered for it, if you keep an eye on the automotive press.
I don't ever want to have to buy a car again once the troopie's on the road (mind you, if i fall into a pile of money, i'd have a car collection). I prefer to spend on replacing worn-out parts with ones that are known to be reliable instead of buying an entire new car every x number of years. A car is an expensive thing to acquire, so why keep spending to replace the whole thing? I am biased; i've no interest in light-weight half measures.
I haven't found a satisfactory answer so far, and long live heavy duty Cruisers.

I would like to see Toyota replicate that advertisement with their new $70,000.00+
Land Cruiser. The driver would have to put a lid on his cup of cappuccino. :D

One reason i am having Crushers overbuild my troopie .

and where is your Troopie .. ? ( we need an thread update )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom