Builds Toyota HZJ75 Troopy interior build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.polarsteps.com
In August, my wife and I will be leaving on a year long world trip. The trip will take us from Rotterdam to India, then we'll ship the car to Kenya and travel down the east coast to South Africa and finally ship the car back to Holland.

We recently bought a 1996 HZJ75 for the trip. Technically the car has been prepared by the previous owners, has a pop-top roof, but the interior is not up to our liking.

My idea is to build the interior with the handytube speedframe system and hpl panels

I've done some designing and would appreciate your input and feedback on my initial ideas.

regards Paul

Slide1.JPG

Sounds like a great adventure, nothing to add to the design, but looking forward to your trip.

Nice plan .
Make a calculation of kg of the cabinet .
It is all dead weight .......

Bye Renago

Looking at your plan , I would like to point out that if you move the water tanks under the car you save a lot of volume .
Under the car you can easily make a tank instainless steel that can hold a lot of water .
Plus it will be out of the way for life time , and give a lower center of gravity .
Just add a small pump .
I have extra tanks for 300 L under the car

Just my 2 cents

Bye Renago

Hi Renago,

I totally agree, I'd love to get the tank out of the cabin and under car, but unfortunately I don't have the welding skills to make a tank and stainless steel tanks for the HZJ75 from suppliers are too expensive. Is there space to mount a standard affordable plastic tank under the car like in this picture?

IMG_2558.JPG

There is plenty of space under the car .
In order to use it , I would recommend to scrap the huge silencer , and move the exsaust pipe towards the leaf side of the car , under the passenger door .
Once done that , water , diesel ecc can be stored under the car easily .
Making a SS tank is not that expensive .
If you are in Rotterdam , near the port you should find some small artisan that can make it for you .
You can also attach , several plastic tanks together .
Advise use also the space above the drive shaft !.

Ps welding SS is also quite easy !

Bye Renago

Hi fellow Dutchman, you probably saw Renago's topic where I put some pictures of how I built my interior?

I used the handytube system as well, and I had it ordered on size, and also in color, this way I have it almost all white, with a comparable wooden top layer (beukenhout). Only the connectors are light gray.
I used aluminum composite plate (ACP), but HPL is probably lighter? (but not stronger)

We will place such a standard plastic water tank where our original spare wheel used to be. Maybe I will cover it with something, if I'm afraid of small stones coming from the wheels.

We also drove to India/Nepal before by the way. Are you part of the Dutch Landcruiser Club ?
You can check for travel inspiration:
www.lovetheworld.nl (NL to India)
Har & Mar op reis (East coast Africa)

Although you can maybe find more recent info.

Hi Renago, I have a side exhaust, so I'll do some measuring and see if i can find a suitable standard plastic tank for under the car. Keep you posted on the progress

Hi Hiace4wd,

Nice to find fellow Dutch people on here, cool to read your similar trip.

I saw your pictures of the interior in Renago's post - looks like a great way to build the interior, i'm just a bit held back by the price. I suppose you did quite some research before ending up with handytube.nl?

I prefer the feel of HPL to ACP (cold), so thats my only consideration.

Still have to sign up for the LC club Netherlands

Well I just really liked that I could order on size and color, this made the build up really quick.
I checked and the coupling blocks are much more expensive than others (but they don't have all the options).
But the aluminum bars are not that expensive compared to others.
So yes, in the end more expensive than others, but really easy to use with ordering on size.

I found it hard to cut the ACP in a nice manner, to get a good finish. I think the HPL will be easier to cut.
Or I shouldn't have used a mini cutter. It is really about how deep the blade is, so the angle at which the material is touched.

Hi Hiace4wd, did you only glue or also rivet the acp panels to the profiles? how is it holding up?

I only used glue. It is hard to use exactly the right amount of glue though (it is easily too much), but it holds up fine. I used "Zwaluw Hybrifix"
In the past I have used Sikaflex, for example for glueing solar panel to my roof.

But the connectors between the bars can be a bit looser depending on the type that you choose (you can have them with and without metal reinforcement)
So on some points I added some screws to keep them in there place. Usually you can do that out of view, inside the cabinet.

At one other place I made a panel that is removable, so it is attached with magnets, also out of view. And it already fits nicely so it is already sort of stuck without magnets. This panel also holds up fine on bad roads.

How is the HPL panels on the inside? The drawback of the ACP panels is that you may choose with panels but the inside is black. So you have to have a very exact fitment in order to not see the black panel edges. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. When it does, and in my case with 3mm it is exactly flush with the tubing, the result is awesome.

Last edited:
Kinda understatement!
Paulrotterdam I hope you have a great trip. Thinking and planning now to ship my 60 to Rotterdam from Canada to drive through Europe. When are you leaving? How long do you plan to be on the road?

Last edited:
nice car Jonathan .

ref Paul , how is your interior progressing ?
I am interested as I must start moving as well .

bye Renago

Nice desing ;)
We had a 40 liter water tank unter the car with the normal exaust. That was a plastik tank you can order at Reimo or similar. We now have a 50 Liter stainless stell tank, made by a small cruiser shop, but is expensive.
If you fit a sidepipe you could use a 80 Liter platik tank or order a 140 Liter Tank from tourfactory, they also have a sidepipe ;)

We had a 19 Liter tank in the car for a season- thougt it would be great to have some colder water in the summer and warmer in the winter - but it was apita to always refill so that we now have 50 liter unter the car and 35 liter in the front bumper ;)

Hi Renago, I was only able to start this weekend with the build. Did general stuff like taking the old interior out, laying a plywood floor, fitting a new windshield, tinting rear windows etc. I'll start work with the cabinets in two weeks.

I ordered all my aluminium material precut from Handytube.nl. The 25mm tubes look very sturdy and I suspect 20mm would have been fine too (not sold in this webshop, but available online). I'm happy I paid extra for the anodised finish, looks the part. I'm putting in steel-core connectors on the 'outer corners' based on Hiace4wd advice to prevent flex, 'inner corners' are normal nylon connectors.

I ordered HPL material for the panels. 5mm for the horizontal, 3m for the vertical. The 3mm seems a bit flimsy and i'd probably order 4mm next time. However all the boards are still uncut - that might influence the flex.

I'll keep you updated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom