Toyota Historical Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FS35V and BH28 ambulances

070804_8.jpg

Another ambulance, shamelessly ripped from a Japanese site.
This one is the FS35V, based on the 1961 RS32 Crown.
Unlike the FS45V which had a 6 cylinder Crown as its base, the FS35V had to shoehorn the 6 cylinder F engine into a space that previously only held a 4 cylinder R engine.
Google Translate (don't look at ref [2] :eek: )
The site also has some nice links to the early Mitsubishi Jeep.

AMBULANCE-BH28.jpg

The BH28 ambulance pre-dates the FS35V.
This was based on the RH sedan, with chassis extension, van body and B engine.
Note the 3 portholes on the front flanks which denote the custom front end to hold the longer engine (same front end as the FH26 patrol car).
Google Translate

Barn find of the oldest existing Toyota *(74 years old) in Wladiwostock/ Russia.
(The AA in the Toyota museum in Japan are replicas build in 1986)
A dutch museum in Den Haag bought it,
LOUWMAN MUSEUM - MUSEUM
found the article today in the german newspaper FAZ, enjoy
dsc00910wtjr.jpg

Cheers
Peter

*...pretty sure they don`t customize it ;) , hope they did not restore this unique Toyota AA.

Last edited:
i've been doing some reading on this AA...and i now agree with most that .....its not a 36 AA.

some things that jump out are:
1) the grill is wrong
2) wipers on bottom instead of top
3)hubcaps dont have toyoda stamping
4)front marker lights
5) not the right rims
6) not the right bumpers
7) way too much ground clearance

I bet this is one of the 50 that were produced arter the war in 1947 from spare parts for military use. or one of the government use cars built in 1944...the "Large B".

IMHO this is still the oldest one :D in a japan museum its a Toyoda ABR ....there was a total of 353 AB phaetons which include the military ABR version as seen here:
800px-ToydaABR_njm 1936 abr.jpg

Last edited:
Johnny it`s a AA,
they do some customizing during it`s live in Russia
The museum did a lot of research before they bought the AA, because
they were suspicious.
This museum have a lot experiences in old cars, look at their fund of old cars, took them more than a year before they bought the AA

Toyota Europe exhibited this "russian AA" in her european headquater befor the AA went back to the museum. Toyota wanted the AA too.

Cheers
Peter

A reason for "russian customizing" was that they couldn`t get spare parts from japan or another western country during the communist regime. If something was broken they must use what they can get or build their own parts.
Cheers
Peter

i've been doing some reading on this AA...and i now agree with most that .....its not an AA.

some things that jump out are:
1) the grill is wrong
2) wipers on bottom instead of top
3)hubcaps dont have toyoda stamping
4)front marker lights
5) not the right rims
6) not the right bumpers
7) way too much ground clearance

I bet this is one of the 50 that were produced arter the war in 1947 from spare parts for military use. or one of the government use cars built in 1944...the "Large B".

I agree that a lot of things speak 'not' an AA. But, a lot of things do. Time and the hand of man have altered the car from it's original build, so it's hard for us to make assumptions or conclusions from the photos we've seen.

I would be a lot more convinced if Toyota (Japan) would put in an official word. Last year I contacted friends in Japan, who have contacts within Toyota, and at that time Toyota seemed to be quite disinterested in the car. I haven't enquired since, so maybe Toyota's opinion & interest have changed since then.

IMHO this is still the oldest one :D in a japan museum its a Toyoda ABR ....there was a total of 353 AB phaetons which include the military ABR version as seen here:

Where is this one located? I'd like to maybe check it out next time I'm over there.

I think I was stuck on the fact they were calling it a 1936 AA...I think thats just wrong and is more likely a later car from 38-39 when japan was in china/russia fighting...

either way IMHO its an early toyota....just not a 36 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom