1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota, GET A CLUE!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by j7addict, Jul 22, 2005.

1. j7addict

j7addict

“Due to the early success of the diesel-powered Liberty, Daimler Chrysler is considering offering its diesel engine on other lines...”

Four Wheeler Magazine

Toyota, GET A CLUE!

2. calamaridog

calamaridog

Too bad they are only sold in 45 states due to emissions requirements.

3. LukeO

LukeO

I had heard in 2003 that Toyota was or is in the process of revamping one of their plants somewhere here in the US for production of diesel engines to be used in their trucks.

First I believe they were supposed to meet the demand for the hybrids though, which I understand currently they do not.

Who knows?

4. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle

That'll change in '06 with low sulfur fuel.

5. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    Albums:
    That could change today with biodiesel and/or SVO.

I'd still love to know why it is that the powers that be in the States continue to stick their collective heads in the sand...

6. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

The problem is, Diamler Chrysler is doing the diesels to compete with the Hybrids. So Toyota will build more Hybrids before they bring us diesels in the Tacoma/4Runner/FJCruiser.

The rumors about a diesel coming in the Toyota line comes from the replacement for the Tundra is supposedly bigger and may come with a diesel option in some sort of 1-ton platform.

7. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

man i sure hope that is true....if toyota puts out a 1 ton diesel....i'm buyin it.

8. j7addict

j7addict

The problem is that car manufactures are only seen better mileage as the only advantage of diesels over gassers...

:mad:

9. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

I completely agree. They could have made the arguement about milage way back in the late 70s when Australia and others moved to oil burners. Maybe a 3B powered 40 and more 2L powered minis could have changed Americas mind about diesels long ago. Now we just see them as something to tow with big trucks or as a way to save money at the pump on smaller cars...

10. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

it is something to do with the north american government, and how toyota didn't sell alot of BJ's in north america. Personally it is the only truck I will buy, I would love a new one even if it was 40 or 50 000.

11. j7addict

j7addict

New FZJ71s fully loaded sell for 25K in South America, brand new oil burners are also sold don't know for how much but shouldn't be much more.

12. UltraFJ40

UltraFJ40 ที่นี่และมี SILVER Star

A few of the problems are with Sour Mash Crude is that there aren't a whole lot of refiners that can convert the SM Crude to diesel fuel. I think Valero is the leading company when it comes to converting SMC (cheaper than Light Sweet Crude) to Diesel. Hope is in the future as they're planning an American expansion of these refineries throughout the next four to five years. If the "Not in my backyard nuts" will allow it.

With a restricted propulsion fuel, the desire to introduce diesels is lunacy for the manufacturers of autos here in the states. If the diesels flooded the US markets, diesel prices would jump way above the price of standard gas. It's already close because of our transportation, trucking and industrial systems. I'd go back to gas if that were the case.

I think this is one of the reasons they've held back introduction or even the possibilites of moving diesel into the US. It's not Toyota thats the problem, it's that there isn't enough diesel refining capability in the US to meet that type of demand.

If it happens, it will be a slow process. Afterall, Toyota has proven to be a more sound company than Daimler. Daimler blows, they can thank their acquisition of Chrysler for saving their tail over the past three years. These new Dodge and Chrysler products have been towing the rope for Mercedes. Check the sales, reliability and profit numbers specific to North America.

To sum it up, we have to wait for the refiners to come around.

Doug

13. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

You seem to know alot about what you are talking about, do you work in a refinery? The combustion engine has been obsolete for over 50 years, why is it that places like Japan and austrlia get diesels? Why are there refineries better than ours for producing diesel? I'm not saying anything you said is wrong, but it seems like an anwser I would hear from the government. I honesly don't think alot of people would buy them, people like there over powered, underengineered V6's and V8's, people like to hear the sound of there 200 dollar tires burning rubber on the pavement, personally I like the smell of diesel, and I like the sound of my mechnical injector pump. I like going to the gas station going up to the cahier and saying "I got the diesel there".

I honesly don't even want things to change to diesel, we would be better off getting out of combustion engines all together, JMO.

14. j7addict

j7addict

Not sure if what you said makes sence, but this article from Oil & Gas Journal seems to disagree with you:

“The slower growth in domestic gasoline refining came as the US imported 1.04 million b/d of gasoline and blending components in the first 6 months.

Imports represented more than 11% of total US gasoline consumption in 2005's first 6 months, noted Ronald J. Planting, information and analysis manager in API's statistics department.

"We saw a decline in US gasoline production growth but an increase in imports, resulting in slight growth overall," he said.

That contrasted with first-half diesel fuel deliveries, which rose 3.1% year-to-year to 3.01 million b/d from 2.92 million b/d. Planting said demand for low-sulfur diesel represents "fully one third" of the domestic motor fuels market as a result.

"Refiners responded to these developments in the first half of 2005 by running at very high rates and setting many new records," he said. Refinery utilization averaged 92.8% in the first half, compared with 92% in 2004's initial 6 months. API's statistics also showed that refineries ran at 96.6% of total capacity during June, down from 97.5% a year earlier.

"Production of diesel, as well as distillate fuel oil overall, reached new highs, as did production of jet fuel," Planting said. "Refiners' production of gasoline nearly matched the all-time high reached in the first half of 2004. Because of weakening demand and strong gasoline imports, gasoline inventories still ended the period at above-average levels."

15. Exiled

Exiled

Where is that? I lived for 24 years in South America and most new Land Cruisers of *any* kind sell for more than that. If you go to www.tucarro.com you can see what used Land Cruisers cost in Venezuela. A slightly used 2005 FZJ71, LX-trim (so not fully loaded. i.e. no lockers, no sunroof, standard seats) costs US$31,000, so figure a brand-new one would set you back maybe $33,000-$35,000. Add a few more thousand dollars for a diesel engine (diesel Land Cruisers are more expensive than petrol in most markets), and now you're looking at $38,000+ for a vehicle that doesn't even have a cupholder, or airbags, or ABS, or cruise control...

Present company excluded, I don't think Toyota is too far off by keeping these vehicles in other countries and giving Americans the bland, ultra-comfy, ultra-safe vehicles that people are lining up to buy.

16. Exiled

Exiled

It's not just the government, it's American SOCIETY. We're ingrained with the concept of POWER. "Muscle cars". "Doublecab duallies.."horsepower"...."V8"...."V10". Having the cheapest gasoline in the industrialized world has ALWAYS allowed us to run bigger displacement engines than everyone else. The automobile culture was born in the US and it's a part of our culture, we have always admired bigger cars, bigger motors, more powerful motors. Traditionally, that could not be accomplished with diesel engines. Cheap gas and phenomenal coverage of gas stations across the US territory impacted some of the more important benefits of diesel.

If the barrel of oil went down to $20 again, you'd see sales of higher displacement engines shoot up. Most Americans prefer the higher horsepower version, as long as they can afford it. This may be changing, but it won't happen overnight, probably won't happen in one generation.

17. UltraFJ40

UltraFJ40 ที่นี่และมี SILVER Star

Exiled: That dudes statement doesn't disagree. What I'm saying is that we can't have a flood of diesels, because we can't handle the demand for their fuel.

I think it's kind of funny that you can buy diesel Toyotas as close as Guatamala or the Dominican Rep, but you can't in Mexico, the US or Canada. Did special interest money make this happen?..............................I think so.

Like you said, we've been trained by the Car manufaturers. Americans would rather have a 350hp Camaro than a 110 hp Toyota diesel. Technology will get them here, it's just a matter of time.

Eric: I have an interest in Oil Companies. There are a number of companies who are aiming to build refineries that can use the Sour and not have to buy the Premium crude. But I'm with you, we need to get away from the comb. engine.

Doug

18. j7addict

j7addict

According to Toyota Venezuela's site, an FZJ71 LX sells for Bs. 64.7 MM Click Here including sales tax (actually I was in Venezuela 2 weeks ago and personally checked that). If you divide that by 2,700 (unless you want to sell your dollars to the government for 2,150) that's $24K.

On the same site, if you check the price for a corolla 1.8 GLI and do the same math, it sells for $20.1K. Way more expensive than a corolla LE, which sells in the US for $16K.

If you apply the same overprice to the FZJ71 LX, it should sell in the US for less than $20K. :crybaby:

19. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    What bank is giving you 2700?

20. Exiled

Exiled

I hope you're not using the regular bank rate because they're going to laugh at you when you try to convert 65,000,000 bs. Since automotive purchases are subject to the SENIAT tax, you have to use the official rate, as below (www.oanda.com):