1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota electronic distributors...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Poser, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    So gurus..

When did electronic ignition start on USA 2F engines?

What are the differences, other than size, in the small cap electronic distributors, and the large cap distributors?

I remember a yellow-papered trails issue that had some of this info in it, but can not find it.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Thanks!

-Steve

2. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    78 had the full electronic ign and a small cap, 81- had the large cap. Differences? can't answer that one.

3. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/dist.html

Here is the real deal on 49 state US distributors from the beginning of time.

All early - 1987 have mechanical advance. Curves vary from year to year.

Early - 1968: Xtra small distributor, vacuum advance (correctly called "non-smog", also sold as "non-USA").
    >li>1969 - 1974: XS distributor, but w/ vac retard.

1975 & early 1976: small distributor, completely redesigned, very good quality points distributor. Vacuum retard.

Late 1976 & 1977: Same, but w/ vac advance

1978: redesigned w/ Med. size screwdown, waterproof cap, electronic ignition. Vacuum advance & retard.

1979 - 1980: dual diaphragm advance. One big advance stage for normal operation, small second stage for extra advance at hi-altitude

1981 - 1987 distributor body redesigned to use large cap. Same dual diapragm advance introduced in '79.

1988 - 1992 distributor redesigned w/ out advance. Distributor pickup is a crank angle sensor, advance curve is controlled by computer.

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks John!

So,

Am I correct in seeing that electronic ignition started in 1978, and that the small size distributor was used until the end of 1980?

So,

What all would a person need to aquire to use these smaller electronic distributors? Are these animals 'igniter specific', or will any do the trick?

Thanks!!

-Steve

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    well my 78 fj55 has the coil/ignitor set up, small cap electonic.

I will guess and say, whenever the fj60 1st came out(late 1980 I think) the switch to the large cap was at the same time, I will also assume that the fj40 switched at the same time. Large cap needs the dented side cover.

I don't know if the coil/ignitor is the same or interchangible but suspect it is as I have head you can use a mini truck coil/ignitor in place of the cruiser unit.....someone even mentioned a Chrysler unit that would work......but to me that just doen't sound like a great idea.......Lucas might be a better option ;)

6. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    Just looked and part numbers are the same on coils and igniters for both small cap and large cap dis.