Toyota electronic distributors...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Poser, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    So gurus..

When did electronic ignition start on USA 2F engines?

What are the differences, other than size, in the small cap electronic distributors, and the large cap distributors?

I remember a yellow-papered trails issue that had some of this info in it, but can not find it.

Bueller?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Thanks!

-Steve

2. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    78 had the full electronic ign and a small cap, 81- had the large cap. Differences? can't answer that one.

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/dist.html

Here is the real deal on 49 state US distributors from the beginning of time.

All early - 1987 have mechanical advance. Curves vary from year to year.

Early - 1968: Xtra small distributor, vacuum advance (correctly called "non-smog", also sold as "non-USA").
    >li>1969 - 1974: XS distributor, but w/ vac retard.

1975 & early 1976: small distributor, completely redesigned, very good quality points distributor. Vacuum retard.

Late 1976 & 1977: Same, but w/ vac advance

1978: redesigned w/ Med. size screwdown, waterproof cap, electronic ignition. Vacuum advance & retard.

1979 - 1980: dual diaphragm advance. One big advance stage for normal operation, small second stage for extra advance at hi-altitude

1981 - 1987 distributor body redesigned to use large cap. Same dual diapragm advance introduced in '79.

1988 - 1992 distributor redesigned w/ out advance. Distributor pickup is a crank angle sensor, advance curve is controlled by computer.

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks John!

So,

Am I correct in seeing that electronic ignition started in 1978, and that the small size distributor was used until the end of 1980?

So,

What all would a person need to aquire to use these smaller electronic distributors? Are these animals 'igniter specific', or will any do the trick?

Thanks!!

-Steve

5. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    well my 78 fj55 has the coil/ignitor set up, small cap electonic.

I will guess and say, whenever the fj60 1st came out(late 1980 I think) the switch to the large cap was at the same time, I will also assume that the fj40 switched at the same time. Large cap needs the dented side cover.

I don't know if the coil/ignitor is the same or interchangible but suspect it is as I have head you can use a mini truck coil/ignitor in place of the cruiser unit.....someone even mentioned a Chrysler unit that would work......but to me that just doen't sound like a great idea.......Lucas might be a better option ;)

6. folsom50

folsom50

Media:
    Just looked and part numbers are the same on coils and igniters for both small cap and large cap dis.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.