Toyota Driveshaft conversion for FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Defintitely not a 60 series axle :hillbilly: You'd have leaf spring perches instead of those round coil ones, you would also not have any tall brackets sticking off the housing. Looks like you got an 80 axle. This is a 60 axle:

attachment.php

You defiantly have FJ80 front and rear axles. - 4.10 gears in each. I still wouldn't use that axle vs the mini truck one you already have (due to the non centered diff, drum brakes and it being a "non full float") (if it was a disk brake full float W/Elocker from a 93 and up FZJ80, then possibly I'd try and make something work). Your 86 mini should have the wider rear axle vs 85 mini and the rear axle width should be fairly close to the front width of the 80 (close enough where you would not need a spacer, or i'd run a spacer).

For your original question on the driveshaft using the 80 rear axle. I think and I could be wrong that you could use the front part of the drive shaft from your mini truck (slip yoke part) and slide it on to a driveshaft for the rear axle from a 80.

Its been a while since I did anything like this, so I can't remember 100% if that would work (spline wise). Worse case senario is you could have a custom drive shaft built out of the toyota pieces (front mini, rear 80 and have it retubed)

Or you could get your rear output flange from your stock mini truck tcase drilled out to match a 80 rear drive shaft or I am pretty sure several vendors sell these already (Marlin/Trail Gear) pre drilled. For some reason I want to say the rear driveshaft bolts on a 80 are slightly bigger than that of a mini truck drive shaft so you can't just bolt it up - Again, I could be wrong as I am going off memory from rigs we built 15+ years ago.

How about just getting a 14-bolt, shave it down, and be done with it?

Thanks for all the info guys! Sure am educating me on this stuff, I appreciated all the input but I think I'm still going to put the 80 rear axle in. I'll be getting in touch with a shop to make me a set of custom drive shafts, I'll probably end up moving the gas tank to the driver side to avoid hitting the drive shaft. Only reason why I'm being so stubborn on having the matching set installed is because I do not like "mix matching" parts lol

... Got a 86 toyota pickup Xtra cab and am getting ready to do a SAS swap on it, today I picked up a matching set FJ80 front axle and a FJ60 rear axle out of a 91 Landcruiser. ...

... because I do not like "mix matching" parts lol

Humph... :hillbilly:

On the bright side, the 80 axle doesn't have as much offset as the 60 axle. Sounds like a lot of work for little, if any, gain. The 80 diff is larger, arguably stronger, but has less clearance, higher chance of hanging up and is heavier. The mini diff is well proven, already fits and is the same size as the front 80 diff. :meh:

Most Toyota driveshafts have the same splines, so can be mixed, but then have to remember what joints it uses. I would change/drill flanges to use the mini or whatever shaft, IMHO cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom