Toyota Driveshaft conversion for FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone first post here so I hope this is in the right place. I. Got a 86 toyota pickup Xtra cab and am getting ready to do a SAS swap on it, today I picked up a matching set FJ80 front axle and a FJ60 rear axle out of a 91 Landcruiser. The question I have is how can I get the FJ60 rear axle mounted to my truck without having to swap the T-case? The existing rear axle on the truck has a centered pinion where as the FJ60 is offsetted way to the right, I had a guy telling me someone sells a drive shaft conversion that allows the Toyota shaft to still be able to bolt to the axle. Anyone ever heard of this?

Offset is pretty irrelevant, right, left, up, down is all the same, u-joints have a max operating angle, so it only matters as part of the total angle setup.

The diff or transfer flange(s) can be changed, there are multi-drilled flanges, so whatever drive shaft can be run. Cruiser Outfitters

You would probably have better luck posting in the hardcore or 95-older truck sub-forums.

Several people run offset diffs behind centered output tcases without issue. Check out this thread: Building An 80 Series Rearend For Desert Racing On A Budget.

As for driveshafts, you have a few options. •You might be able to mix and match Land cruiser and mini shaft pieces to fit your setup.
•You could redrill the land cruiser flanges to match or buy custom drilled flanges.
•Contact a driveshaft shop and have them build you a custom shaft with the correct flanges.

Cool looks like I was stressing for nothing! I almost didn't buy the rear axle, sure am glad I did!!

Why not put an 80 axle under both ends?
I got the Fj80 and Bj60 as a set, every one around my area wants $800 for the 80 alone, I got the 80 and 60 both for $250 also I figured the 9.5 pinon would be better for the rear? Feel free to school me if I sound stupid haha

Off set axle on the rear will have problems because of the fuel tank is on the right side.So even if you change out the transfer case now you have to move the fuel tank, keeping in mind the exhaust is on the left side

Off set axle on the rear will have problems because of the fuel tank is on the right side.So even if you change out the transfer case now you have to move the fuel tank, keeping in mind the exhaust is on the left side
My exhaust is dumped beafore the rear axle, thinking I should be able to flip it to avoid the tank and still have enough clearance for the exhaust

Alright so after Spending most of the night researching the internet I came across a thread talking about how if i flip the axle upside down to avoid my gas tank I'll have lubrication issues, any thoughts on that?

Yes, the diff is designed to fling oil in a particular pattern. Fill plug will not be in the right spot to meter out the correct amount of juice, not to mention having a drain plug on the top of your axle will make servicing a little difficult :hillbilly:

Yes, the diff is designed to fling oil in a particular pattern. Fill plug will not be in the right spot to meter out the correct amount of juice, not to mention having a drain plug on the top of your axle will make servicing a little difficult :hillbilly:
So what would you recommend I do to get around this problem? I found several threads where people flipped their axles but never mentioned this issue. As for the drain plug i was thinking about welding it closed and re drilling a new one

Don't know how hard it would be to do but pull the tubes out of the diff and swap sides.The internal axles won't care which side there on.The Diff would still be in its correct alignment .Would need some kind of gig to make sure its reassemble with the correct geometry.I have seen it dont on dana axles don't know if you can do it on a toyota one..........Hey just throwing that out there. Never mind I don't think you can remove toyota ones.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing anything with the rear axle you got. I would leave the stock rear axle you have in it.

80 series rear axles are more centered than 60 series axles. You could use your original axleshafts and build a centered cruiser rear axle using the center part of the 60 series housing and the tubes and shafts from your existing axle. I've done a few now and they aren't that difficult to make. You could flip the 60 housing and clearance for the ring gear but your current shafts are stronger than 60 series rear shafts.

Hard to follow what year exactly your FJ60 axle is (91 is what your 80 front axle came out of.... - what year is the 60 axle out of?). If your axle is from a 60 I think its 3.73 and your 80 front axle is a 4.10, so unless you plan on swapping gears, it isn't going to work.

FJ60 - 3.73 87 and below (4 speed stick tranny)
FJ62 - 4.10 1988-1990 (Automatic tranny)

Hard to follow what year exactly your FJ60 axle is (91 is what your 80 front axle came out of.... - what year is the 60 axle out of?). If your axle is from a 60 I think its 3.73 and your 80 front axle is a 4.10, so unless you plan on swapping gears, it isn't going to work.

FJ60 - 3.73 87 and below (4 speed stick tranny)
FJ62 - 4.10 1988-1990 (Automatic tranny)
Yes I will be re-gearing to 5.29s, the guy I got my axles from did not say what year the FJ60's were. Would I just be better off sticking with the stock Toyota rear axle? the only real big reason why I wanted the fj60 back there was so I didn't have to run monster wheel spacers to match the front FJ80

Don't know how hard it would be to do but pull the tubes out of the diff and swap sides.The internal axles won't care which side there on.The Diff would still be in its correct alignment .Would need some kind of gig to make sure its reassemble with the correct geometry.I have seen it dont on dana axles don't know if you can do it on a toyota one..........Hey just throwing that out there. Never mind I don't think you can remove toyota ones.

Have you looked at the 60 and 80 series rear axle? The housing is SOLID from end to end. This ain't no silly domestic Dana.

Have you looked at the 60 and 80 series rear axle? The housing is SOLID from end to end. This ain't no silly domestic Dana.
This is what I have. 100% solid 60

image000000(1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom