Toyota distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's an early style US (also known as Non-US) points distributor. Don't know if the Mel's Electronic Ignition module is included with the $275 price or not (seems like not).

The early distributors work fine. I have no knowledge on the Mel's Ignition. These distributors also work well with the OEM semi-electronic ignition system (ignitor).

Just installed one from Marks Off Road with the Pertronix module installed. Worked perfectly on my 71fj40 stock 1f. No more points yeah! Now I just have to get the carb ported (old setup was vac retard). Marks was considerably cheaper and a great guy to deal with. His web site is http://www.marksoffroad.net/.

Les

dfmorse said:
Has anyone used this distributor?

http://jtoutfitters.com/product/19100NUS

David in Denver

I've been using that distributor for 3 years now.
With the points...

There is nothing wrong with a points type ignition. Alot of people swear at them. I haven't had any issues with mine.

POints DO require maintenance. But when you are replacing the cap, rotor, wires and plugs it's really a non issue to check the points gap.

HTH
-James

how does that mel's setup or even that firecracker setup that JTO used to sell, compare to an HEI distrib?

i have the HEI in now works fine.

i picked up a non- usa distrib and the fire cracker stuff from jto yrs ago.
i would like to use the toyota stuff, if it's comparable to an HEI.

(hijack/off)

been trying to get feed back on this for a while, nothing ever turns up.

Thanks Brian and others. I have attempted to keep my 1979-80 FJ40 fairly stock all these years. After crashing thru the woods and starting a forest fire, I got rid of cat-converter. Then I plugged up a few of the 9000 hoses and installed the MAF Mallory points distributor and Jacobs capacitive discharge ignition system. The Jacobs makes a noted difference in how the FJ40 runs; but it doesn't make it a race car. I have had only one Jacobs fail in the 35 years i have been driveing FJ40's. As a side note, I have been studying Jim Chenowiths notes and my old manuals and have come to the conclusion that the 1980 FJ40 does not come OEM equipped with a ballast resistor, since it has a beautiful double advance reluctance (no points) type distributor.

This opens the question of converting to points type dizzy and installing a ballast or using a reluctance dizzy (like the DUI, JTO & MARKS system) and not installing the ballast. I am running points at the present time without ballast, but the FJ40 isn't being driven much since I'm doing body work and stuff. I've got about $5000 in body work so far. Looks almost new. Jeeze, what a money pit.

I think I'll go with the JTO with the Mels conversion to pointless (reluctance) on the 1976 Toyota dizzy to feed the Jacobs Omni Pak & wires. Oh, a note here on spark plug life. You can expect about 18,500 miles on Champion plugs. The Omni Pak Jacobs will eat plugs gapped at 0.045 inches, so change them out around 10k or so.

David in Denver, CO, USA

dfmorse said:
...I have attempted to keep my 1979-80 FJ40 fairly stock all these years...

Funny we pull the earlier distributors in favor of the 79+ models... The factory Toyota electronic distributors are VERY reliable and capable of pushing alot of Juice with the right coil...

cruiseroutfit said:
Funny we pull the earlier distributors in favor of the 79+ models... The factory Toyota electronic distributors are VERY reliable and capable of pushing alot of Juice with the right coil...

Kurt-
What coil do you like? I am about to put a 1978 distributor in my 1975 2F and was going to use the stock Coil set up.

petescoffee said:
Kurt-
What coil do you like? I am about to put a 1978 distributor in my 1975 2F and was going to use the stock Coil set up.

I am a fan of the OEM one, never really desired anything hotter... I do have some customers running hotter coils with their OEM ignitor/dizzy setups, havn't heard too much about them...

The non-USA distributors are great. I have one along with a distributor that does not have any smog attachment points. They complement one another well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom