Toyota Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm in the market for a LC Diesel.....I'm considering both JDM and Domestic (although domestic choices are slim). I actually have one Canadian 60 series local that is very up my alley, but I need to make sure of some things.

I don't really have the resources (knowledge, space and time) to comfortably rely on myself to do all the work, although I know the diesel is a relativly simple design and I am somewhat mechanicly inclined. Plus I have big hands.

I want to know what my options are if I need someone to fix or do work on my rig. Can a Toyota dealership get all the parts and do all the work for a Canadian 60 series? Any other options?

What about a JDM? Can a Canadian Toyota dealer get me parts?

I know there are some very good companies that could help me get the parts in North America, but I'm really concerned about who can work on it.

I am in Vancouver, so anyone preferably local. I have heard about a guy in victoria, although if I can't drive the vehicle he's pretty much worthless as I can't tow on a ferry.

Toyota Canada will NOT support any JDM vehicles. The ONLY way you can get parts for a JDM is if they match to a Canadian vehicle AND you know the part numbers. If you don't have that you need to go to your JDM importers for parts.

now I have heard Toyota has relaxed a bit with selling parts to jdms... but I do not know that forsure.

One aspect with getting parts at Toyota is a JDM VIN is not searchable on their parts search system.

Although I have come across many discontinued parts with my BJ60.

My Local toyota dealer in Northern BC is quite used to doing work on JDMs I am told. They have done a bunch of head gaskets on Prados.

If your buying JDM you have to be aware not all of them are going to be problem free. The Prado's have weak heads, and the 80s bottom end bearings...

If you want to go JDM buy from one of the big imports who service the heck out of them prior to you getting it.

Search in the diesel section for a thread called "master list of importers".

When you want to know something specific about a vehicle you find come here and ask... buy informed..

Now what does having big hands do for working on a cruiser ..... :)

now I have heard Toyota has relaxed a bit with selling parts to jdms... but I do not know that forsure.

I have no problem getting parts for my JDM BJ70 series. By telling Toyota or a local parts shop that it's for an '86 BJ60 I've been able to easily get parts for the drivetrain and chassis or motor. What they can't supply 4wheelAuto in Edmonton can usually get.

There will likely be parts problems with Prados or 80 series, since nothing like them came to Canada. [ya wouldn't want one anyhow]

If you want to go JDM buy from one of the big imports who service the heck out of them prior to you getting it.

I will 2nd that. Pay the extra for a top quality importer. I picked my truck up in Vancouver in November and drove it up the Alcan Highway, never had any trouble except for a couple of rock cracks in the windshield. The truck ran perfectly and was all set up for reliable, trouble free winter highway driving.
:)

I third the above - buy the best one you can get from a big name importer. I'd go with Luxury or Outback. For local service, ATEB is your friend. They do the service pack for all Outback sales anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom