Toyota diesel vs Cummings diesel... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Scro do you have the Princess now? Are you in Austin?
I bought princess and she is currently being rewired/motor work at a shop next to Kelly Saad’s shop in Arizona. Then she gets a paint job. I’m south of Kerrville.

Are you doing the swap or paying someone?
Diesel swaps RARELY pay for themselves, unless you are insanely frugal, do all the work and plan to do travel where diesel/range is a necessity, there really isn't a compelling reason to swap a diesel into a 60 other than....you want it. Which is 100% legitimate reason :cool:

If paying someone I'd do R2.8 and call it done. New engine, decent power and all reports are good so far. Long term reliability still unknown. It's going to be $$$
I'm assuming tranny swap at the same time?

I love Toyota diesels. Completely agree with @bottombracket and his opinion.

The 1HZ is the safe/logical choice. They are still making it. Not the most powerful, but can be turbo/intercooled, decent MPG, parts all over, a great reliable engine. Not 100% sure, but it's possible there are factory motor mounts from an HJ61 to bolt the 1HZ into a 60...could be wrong on that. H55F tranny bolts directly to 1HZ and splitcase and then done.

12HT are sweet and can be bolted into an FJ60/H55f, but a short run motor, so parts will be harder to find. Have @roma042987 rebuild it and don't worry about it for 300~400,000 miles. They sound awesome!

3" exhaust 12HT

a 13BT is just a 4 cylinder 12HT, short run motor so parts harder to find, but it scoots my BJ74 around just fine, 4600lbs and gets me a 20mpg average. I just rebuilt mine last year after 300,000miles (previous owner had a radiator hose blow on highway blowing headgasket) And I was able to get every part I needed for a full rebuild, usually in 4ish days and I live in the middle of nowhere. Any good machine shop can work on these. They are old school diesels and very similar to an Isuzu 4BD.
Unless you find a rebuilt one for a good price, I wouldn't search out this or a 3B/turbo.

1HD/HDFT would be awesome. Pricey, but great!

I'm also a fan of the Isuzu 4BDT family. Tons of availability and people in the US know how to work on them.

I don't have any issues with a 4BT either, a bit loud and unrefined and can be really shakey/vibration, but great engine overall. Low mileage or rebuild and you have a great engine with tons of power potential and good reliability where any truck mechanic can work on it. You can find them cheapish like @Hojack said and make tons of power, but there will be quite a bit of fabwork involved over a Toyota that has some factory bolt in parts.

If you are buying ANY used diesel, due diligence required. Personally I would be hesitant putting a used high mileage motor in Cummins/toyota without knowing some history and having a rebuild in the back of my mind.

ANY swap will bring up all sorts of extras that you maybe didn't think about, radiators, injection pump rebuilds, hoses, driveshaft modifications, power steering, lift kit, A/C, exhaust, turbo rebuilds, noise/sound deaden-er so be ready for all those extra gotchas.

Good luck!

Are you doing the swap or paying someone?
Diesel swaps RARELY pay for themselves, unless you are insanely frugal, do all the work and plan to do travel where diesel/range is a necessity, there really isn't a compelling reason to swap a diesel into a 60 other than....you want it. Which is 100% legitimate reason :cool:

If paying someone I'd do R2.8 and call it done. New engine, decent power and all reports are good so far. Long term reliability still unknown. It's going to be $$$
I'm assuming tranny swap at the same time?

I love Toyota diesels. Completely agree with @bottombracket and his opinion.

The 1HZ is the safe/logical choice. They are still making it. Not the most powerful, but can be turbo/intercooled, decent MPG, parts all over, a great reliable engine. Not 100% sure, but it's possible there are factory motor mounts from an HJ61 to bolt the 1HZ into a 60...could be wrong on that. H55F tranny bolts directly to 1HZ and splitcase and then done.

12HT are sweet and can be bolted into an FJ60/H55f, but a short run motor, so parts will be harder to find. Have @roma042987 rebuild it and don't worry about it for 300~400,000 miles. They sound awesome!

3" exhaust 12HT

a 13BT is just a 4 cylinder 12HT, short run motor so parts harder to find, but it scoots my BJ74 around just fine, 4600lbs and gets me a 20mpg average. I just rebuilt mine last year after 300,000miles (previous owner had a radiator hose blow on highway blowing headgasket) And I was able to get every part I needed for a full rebuild, usually in 4ish days and I live in the middle of nowhere. Any good machine shop can work on these. They are old school diesels and very similar to an Isuzu 4BD.
Unless you find a rebuilt one for a good price, I wouldn't search out this or a 3B/turbo.

1HD/HDFT would be awesome. Pricey, but great!

I'm also a fan of the Isuzu 4BDT family. Tons of availability and people in the US know how to work on them.

I don't have any issues with a 4BT either, a bit loud and unrefined

Unrefined is my middle name
I bet! How many times have you pulled up to the gas pump before realizing?lol
Not once yet and clearly explained to wife remember it’s diesel. I also bought a diesel sticker for the inside fuel door.

What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting in these swaps?

I am dreaming about doing something similar, I am scared what our truck will feel like with a hardtop RTT and a bunch of gear loaded up. The MPG gain would just be an added benefit, but it has me curious.

F919C054-5AEE-4F22-B2B2-D4662119BBA9.jpeg

I’m getting 21.5 to 16.5 mpg. Averaging around 18. Carrying a RTT and rear tire carrier puts me just under 6,000 pounds. That’s with very hilly terrain and backroads on my daily drive.

A few years ago a FJ60 with what sounded like a 4BT pulled up next to me at a stop light, just in front of me.

1. It was loud at idle.
2. It was REALLY loud when he pulled away. So loud that I remember saying "Holy Crap" out loud when he drove away.
3. It belched black smoke when accelerating

I too (in the past) toyed with the dream of swapping in a diesel, but after experiencing that nightmare, I shelved that idea for good.

Granted it was a 4BT (I think/ definitely a four banger and not the modern R2.8) but the experience definitely left a rank taste in my mouth - from 50 feet away.

So, did this infamous truck actually have a 4bt, or you just think it did? Sounds like another armchair type analysis to me.

Any diesel (or any car for that matter) can be made obnoxious with the wrong owner.

Last edited:
18-22mpg in my truck over ~60k miles driving it hard enough to wear out a transmission in that time. It's kinda loud, but the power is addicting. Extra insulation in the interior is essential. 8 years and no regrets. A 4bt is plenty for a 60 IMHO, I don't see a 6bt working well. 30% more weight, 30% more power in a 6bt over a 4bt. A 4bt weighs as much, or more, than a 2f, and it makes plenty of power.

I did a 2h swap in a FJ60 a few years ago. Great engine, but it's a dog. Turbos are required IMHO.

Last edited:
18-22mpg in my truck over ~60k miles driving it hard enough to wear out a transmission in that time. It's kinda loud, but the power is addicting. Extra insulation in the interior is essential. 8 years and no regrets. A 4bt is plenty for a 60 IMHO, I don't see a 6bt working well. 30% more weight, 30% more power in a 6bt over a 4bt. A 4bt weighs as much, or more, than a 2f, and it makes plenty of power.

I did a 2h swap in a truck a few years ago. Great engine, but it's a dog. Turbos are required IMHO.
I’m actually looking at a 60 Right now with a 6BT,NV4500 5 speed-Shop installed. So you think the 6BT isn’t worth it?

Regarding the power thing, a stock 4bt with a stick behind it can turn Toyota axles into shrapnel if you drive it enthusiastically. Over 300ft/lbs at 1200rpm. Do some power adders, and run 35"+ tires, and there's no sense in keeping toy axles if you build from scratch. Keep that in mind when planning a swap.

The 6bt is a medium duty engine, in both size and reliability. It's huuuge. The 4bt is a perfect compromise, tons of power and killer reliability, in a smallish package.

Last edited:
I’m actually looking at a 60 Right now with a 6BT,NV4500 5 speed-Shop installed. So you think the 6BT isn’t worth it?

I've never driven one, nor seen a 6bt swap in person. What I can say is that my 4bt makes a ****ing ton of power, and weighs a bunch. I can't see a benefit of the 6bt over the 4bt in the J6X chassis.

I'm sure that truck you're looking at is dope, but drive it first. I had to put fj60 rear springs up front to hold up my 4bt reliably, and the 6bt weighs probably 300# more.

I'm doing about 19-20 mpg on a non-turbo'd 1HZ. It will go down when I turbo it though.

The 1HZ swap is straight forward and Georg's engine mounts save you a ton of time.

Here's my 60 build thread to give you an idea on what's involved: Builds - Back in a 60 series - 1HZ Swap

Big disadvantage with a cummins is that they're so tall, you have to run a good amount of lift to make everything fit. Not an issue with a 1HZ or 1HD variant, or with an Isuzu 4BD variant.

A great source for 1HZ and HDT engines and engine/tranny combos is @joekatana . His prices are good and he won't steer you wrong.

When I first started my 4BT swap I wanted to stay as close to stock height as possible. I drove the 60 around for a couple weeks but dribbled/ massaged the oil pan on the diff enough to go the SOA route like the rest.
After driving the 60 now for almost 2 years, it’s the most fun and enjoyable vehicle I have ever driven. I can say when you do it yourself and have friends and the support here on MUD it makes a swap even more rewarding. I learned so much as this was my first ever conversion. Thankfully for me I have savings and didn’t go in debt trying to build my 60.
The SOA part of the build was the longest and most knowledgeable time as I had @boots4 to work with. He’s a wealth of knowledge. Not only did he help me but taught me as we put stuff together. I wanted a safe daily driver for myself and the family. My 60 drives just as well if not more comfortable now than when I bought it when it was stock.
Personally the motor isn’t that loud. I can carry a conversation inside just as well as before. As Johnny stated some people’s opinions on diesels is just bad experiences.
My dad never liked the 12V Cummins because they sounded like a log truck. I always loved that sound. I put a muffler on my exhaust. It’s still got enough diesel sound but nothing that bothers me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom