Toyota diesel conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So to start i have a 74 FJ40 with a F and H42 4 speed tranny. I would like to stick a toyota diesel into it. I been reading and it seems that a H series diesel will work the best for me, aparently they share the same engine mounts and bellhousing and tranny input shafts. Correct me if I wrong, toyota diesels are new to me. I would like to keep my tranny and t-case. Also i would like to run saginaw steering so would a sag. pump bolt onto these diesels? Any info on these diesels would be great!

Better off to go with the later 2H for a bit more power.I think they have a pump on the engine.
Here is an engine bay pic of an aussie ex army HJ45
100_0149 (Small).JPG

Ok so if the 2H can bolt onto my motor mounts, does this mean I can put a 1HD-T in also? The only reason I asked is cause I would like to run a turbo diesel. Also is there any 12v ones out there, or do I have to switch the alt and starter?

Yeah, I been looking at that one too, I guess the bigger numbers on the 1HD-T destracted me. My main consern, is that it can bolt upto my 4 speed. Motor mounts can be fab. and welded on.

Yes...Like Wayne says...if you want to use your tranny...2H or 12HT is it.

I think Lowenbrau has a parts HJ60 still for sale that could supply you with a donor.

They are all going to be 24V in Canada, and the Japanese takeouts are 24V as well. You can switch things over to 12V.

hth's

gb

Cool so I think the 12HT would be my choice, gotta have a turbo. I won't need the engine for a while. I still gotta get wread of my old F engine. I think I will be switching it over to 12V, less hassle in the long run. I'm doing a frame up rebuild on my cruiser, so when I need the engine, I'll put the word out. Is there any sites that have info on the 12HT? Thanks.

I MIGHT be able to get 12v "H/2H/12H-T" electricals here in Honduras.

BC Cruiser said:
Cool so I think the 12HT would be my choice, gotta have a turbo. I won't need the engine for a while. I still gotta get wread of my old F engine. I think I will be switching it over to 12V, less hassle in the long run. I'm doing a frame up rebuild on my cruiser, so when I need the engine, I'll put the word out. Is there any sites that have info on the 12HT? Thanks.

what kind of info . ?

my suggestion is to buy the shop manual and you will have everything you need plus:
bore and stroke: 91.0X102.0
displacement 3980cc
compression 18.6
max power 135ps/3400 rpm
max torque 32.0 kg/2000 rpm

BTW, i just found yo a perfectly good 2H (if you are interested in a motor and turbo after) for $1500 still in the truck running excellent. he is swapping in his "free" 12HT
cheers

Not hijacking, just second in line.

I do not want to hijack BC Cruiser's deal, but if he ends up going factory turbo and does not want the 2H, then I am very interested. Please pm me about the 2H, miles? Does the tranny stay in the orig. truck? or come with the engine? Do you know where this engine will mate with the 3f? that is in my '88 FJ62- at the transmission ? or do i need a new transmission for mating at the transfer case?. I am in Colorado, and would be happy to look into shipping if you are interested in facilitating. Thanks.

BC Cruiser said:
Is it easy to up the hp and torque of the 12HT? Also can they be intercooled?

12H-T 135 HP from factory .. how much more with intercooler, not sure .. but maybe up to 155 - 160 it depends about setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom