Toyota Dealerships Performing Maintenance on 60s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is probably a stupid question. Do Toyota dealerships typically perform maintenance on the 60 series? Since these vehicles are 25+ years old, I wasn't sure. I've been taking my 62 to a local shop and they constantly disappoint. I realize the cost may be higher going through a dealership but I'd happily pay a little more for top notch service.

Thanks.

My local dealership not only worked on my 60, they said a lot of people take them there for work

Sons 62 just left dealership last week with all new AC. Installed and valves adjusted. Dealership had 2 other 62s waiting to go into the shop.

I am surprised at how many Toyota dealerships do not have timing lights, do not know that you must use Dextron fluid in the power steering pump, and, how many really dont appreciate our old Cruisers. I am an architectural photographer. I recently photographed 25 auto dealerships. It was the Ford, And Nissan Dealerships that were excited to see my truck, not the Toyota dealerships.

I am surprised at how many Toyota dealerships do not have timing lights, do not know that you must use Dextron fluid in the power steering pump, and, how many really dont appreciate our old Cruisers. I am an architectural photographer. I recently photographed 25 auto dealerships. It was the Ford, And Nissan Dealerships that were excited to see my truck, not the Toyota dealerships.

That's because the Toyota salespeople know they can't sell you a new vehicle anytime soon. When you do replace your 60, you'll just buy another Toyota truck, then they won't see you for another 30 years.

When I first got my FJ62, I had my mechanic do some work--new radiator and water pump, tune up, etc. Cost me about $1000. Then, I took it to my local Toyota dealer for a high and rough idle that my mechanic had no idea what was causing it. They were totally clueless. Then I found IH8MUD, bought myself a Factory Service Manual (FSM) and some new tools, and started working on this old girl myself. Guess what. I fixed the high idle by doing a simple adjustment that cost me nothing. I wish I had never taken her to a mechanic at all.

So, your dealership may have an older mechanic that knows these old rigs, or they may have a bunch of young guys that are clueless. You will want to investigate before you let them work on your rig. My recommendation is that you wrench on it yourself. There is a bit of a learning curve, but nobody is going to put the love and care into it that you will--and these rigs need a lot of love to keep going. So if you have deep pockets and find an honest and competent mechanic, then maybe that is the way to go. But I think most guys do the work themselves because it costs too much money to go the mechanic route.

If you need to take to a mechanic then agree with FJ60seth, find an older mechanic that has a good rep (talk to some hotrod shops if you need). Best bet though is to invest in the tools and time yourself as it will repay you in dividends later. I have yet to take my truck to a mechanic, haven't had any issues that I was not able to find a solution to here.

The dealer would not be a good choice to take a 60/62 for service IMHO.

I've been taking mine to the dealership in Mount Kisco, NY for two years now. Their rates are fair and they know what they are doing.

They know my rig by sight now and love working on it.

They told me that mine is the only 60 they've seen in years. When I bring it in, there's like three guys that work on it.

I may have just hit the lottery with these guys. I don't feel taken advantage from them.

Last work done was a full knuckle rebuilt on both sides. Very pleased.

I've been taking mine to the dealership in Mount Kisco, NY for two years now. Their rates are fair and they know what they are doing.

They know my rig by sight now and love working on it.

They told me that mine is the only 60 they've seen in years. When I bring it in, there's like three guys that work on it.

I may have just hit the lottery with these guys. I don't feel taken advantage from them.

Last work done was a full knuckle rebuilt on both sides. Very pleased.

If you get a chance, maybe post this information in the "Recommended Cruiser Mechanics in your Area" sticky, since there seems to be a dearth (yes, I had to look that word up to make sure it means what I thought it does...and also that I speeld it korectly) of info up here in the North East...

That's because the Toyota salespeople know they can't sell you a new vehicle anytime soon. When you do replace your 60, you'll just buy another Toyota truck, then they won't see you for another 30 years.

That salesman would be wrong, I bought a Prius 5 years ago. And I will probably replace it next year. Besides, doesn't it make Toyota look good for us to keep our old vehicles not only running, but running strong and looking great?

dealerships have to be setup to work/maintain the present year vehicles and probably those made in the last 5 to 10 years. Most people with older cars don't have work done at the dealer. The land cruiser is a low production vehicle, in the smaller towns...the shops may never see land cruisers. In many cases the dealer does not stock parts for old LC and as we know many OEM parts not available. A lot of people with older cars/trucks do not run OEM parts, they just go the cheapest way out.

Yah'll taking your rigs to a dealership...must have some deep pockets....

A month after I got my rig...(some 13 years ago) I took it to one of the biggest toyota dealership (if not the biggest) in the US (longo toyota)
They did s***ty work, charged me an arm, and their attitude sucked arse....

A few weeks later I found mud, and life has been sweet since !!!

Parts manager freaked over mine when I drove it in to pick up my daughter dropping off her FJC for a recall. Nobody else even had a clue. Most of the techs probably thought it was a Jeep Cherokee. Definitely find a shop with older vehicles and guys with timing lights. In my area local if I can't do it, it goes to a small local shop that the mechanics are gear heads that build and tune old cars and race. If you can find a good local cruiser guy to help you out is good, too. I got a lot of help from Darin (kryzyabncanuck) and I found him on here. He's over an hour away but all he does is cruisers.....find somebody like that nearby and they can help you with stuff specific to cruisers that you can't work through. Unless you are real lucky you'll just be paying some guy at the dealership to to do something for you and it will be the first time he's ever done it. Dealership time is expensive when you gotta pay some guy to learn what to do and the try to do it.

Don't. By all means, get parts from them, but don't take your car there.

The mechanic (ie the kid apprentice doing all the work, the one you never actually see or meet) is probably literally half the car's age.

I found a local mechanic, he's about 50 years old, 3rd generation professional gear head, smart, sober, and no personality disorders. I've seen everything in his shop from old MBZ diesels to newish Subaru's. He went through my smog system 4 years ago, and a month ago it passed with zero attention since then. I'd go to him for anything I didn't feel like doing, except for maybe transmission, transfercase or differentials. For those I might try to find a more specialized shop.

Some years ago, I was having problems passing CA smog. So I took the truck to my dealer. After they had it for a couple of days and it seemed like they were struggling, I offered to lend them my Toyota Emissions manual. They asked where I got it from...Several hundred dollars later, they could not tell me what was wrong with the truck. They suggested I needed to buy a new carburetor. But could not even tell me how much a new carb was worth. I took the truck home, replaced the CAT and the AIR pump, and it passed smog the next time.

I have been back to that dealer several times for parts. The parts guys are nice, especially since I usually come with the part no's, and pretty much know ahead of time which parts are still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom