Toyota Dealerships Performing Maintenance on 60s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0133.jpg
40.jpg
blue40.jpg
BJ73.jpg
Like any other business, it depends on the individual store/dealer. We love older Toyotas (esp cruisers) and work on them constantly whereas the dealer down the road would rather not.

Some recent pics

Last edited:
Mine sees the local Toyota dealer regularly. They have a mid-fifties tech who works exclusively on my 60. The service manager lusts after my rig every time I bring it in and it's very clear they truly enjoy working on my 60. I think it comes down to the individual dealer.

...via IH8MUD app

my local dealer, who I have also gotten OEM parts for the last 20 years, will work on my Cruisers.......I get a lower shop rate than they give most others, as well as parts for wholesale.

however they don't have any older tech's anymore, most were born after even our 90 FJ62 was made, which in the last years has caused some issues.

Last summer, took the 62 in for AC recharge, few years ago did the same with the 86 FJ60, took my own R12 and they had no issue, but when I took the 62 in, the old timer that had the r12 stuff had retired. So the 62 got 134 conversion for under $200, same time they put a new OEM muffler on.

Problem came when I asked them to put new belts(I hate 62 belts) on when doing the AC, Week latter it squealed like a pig when the AC was on, took it back, it seems the "tech" thought the AC idler adjuster was installed upside down, so he turned it around, so now you had to remove the PS pump to adjust. Few weeks latter, same issue, took it back. Forward a year(200 miles latter) the AC squealed again.......took it back. Got a call a week latter it was done. Happens I was coming though town with a buddy towing a 32 Airstream, he just dropped me off at the dealer. Got in the 62 and TURNED the AC on(press button).......and it squealed again. 2 techs came out.... and said "we were working next to the tech that worked on it and it never made a noise" I then had to explain to them.......you have to TURN the AC ON! you should have seen the look in their faces! They gave me a rental car. because I ended up stranded at the dealer when they said it was done( I just took it home and parked it)

So as it turns out no one had EVER turned the AC on in all the times in was there! I of course turned it off when I took it in because it squealed.

In the end it was the bearing in the AC idler pulley(which I had suggested many times may be the issue) They also put the tension bolt back in the correct way(per pics and diagrams I provided)

all that said......I got treated great, never charged for any of the work(besides AC charge and muffler) or the new pulley, I guess its just comes with having "kids" working on older cars. Service writer was very embarrassed. I never got upset....I laughed allot though

I do have a exhaust manifold gasket leak in the 60....which I am not willing to do myself, so its going to an old school shop that has worked on my rigs since 1987.

you need to know when you need help or you're in over your head. you either whistle up the local TLCA club, OR, a mechanic. the older my vehicle gets the braver i get. about 15-years ago i asked a mechanic to "check the carburetor please, perhaps it has a vacuum leak on one of the hoses?" to which he replied, "i've only been a mechanic for 15-years sir, i've never seen a car with a carburetor"...which is about the time i became my own mechanic. let me suggest someone you can trust and someone you can learn from...get the factory service manuals and some basic tools. you already have a computer and the forums. genius is where you find it - young or old, dealer or independent.

of course, all of this goes out the window if it's your daily driver or the wife's car....

I remember pulling mine onto the dealers lot for the first time and a sales guy came out to see if I was ready to get rid of my cool old Land Rover for a new toyota.... He couldn't believe it was a toyota. As in literally walked around it to see that it said toyota on the back.

I remember pulling mine onto the dealers lot for the first time and a sales guy came out to see if I was ready to get rid of my cool old Land Rover for a new toyota.... He couldn't believe it was a toyota. As in literally walked around it to see that it said toyota on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom