Toyota Dealer refused to flush AHC system on 2001 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did mine today using a couple random YouTubes. It was less eventful than I thought it would be. I don't have a proper bleeder hose with the attachment to affix it to the valve and figured I could just hold a basic hose onto it with my hand while it bled. I went 3 for 5 on that. So I had some fluid to clean up afterward but no big deal. Just don't be looking right at it when you turn the valve, it's a high pressure for a few seconds and you don't want a faceful of it.

Mine was the same dark brown as everyone else's. As far as I know that first batch of fluid lasted 20 years and 210,000 miles. This batch won't be left in there as long. AHC seems a little peppier.

Unfortunately dealers often give this exact response. On the bright side, you probably don't want them working on it anyways. ;)

I have a flush video shot, but not edited. Maybe 2022.

Not helpful for op but for those in the Denver area, we're offering AHC services at the ADGU shop in Frederick/Erie.
Just realized that I think your video about front diff bushings was what I followed for that job yesterday. Thanks!

As a former Toyota Technician, 10 years, I can say that there are several reasons this happened.

#1. Toyota service department will have little if any experience with AHC. Only the last of the 100 Series Land Cruisers had AHC and then only a few of those. These vehicles are now 14 years old. Combine that with the very low production numbers and the likely hood of someone who has serviced this system is almost zero.
#2. Until recently many Toyota dealers would not or could not do Lexus service work. Our local Lexus dealer (Flow Lexus) would not sell us parts. Our parts depot (Southeast Toyota) could not or would not sell my dealer Lexus specific parts.
#3 The idea that a service department does not want older cars because the margins are low is crazy. The older cars make the service department and the parts department tons of money. Technicians would much rather service and repair an older vehicle than a newer vehicle. The service schedule of newer cars has been stretched so far that most of the best paying work is often at or over 100,000 miles. The service department is a huge profit center for a dealership.
#4. The best reason for the service managers answer in this case is no one in the service department knows what AHC is. These service advisors and even the technicians know what the do the most of. That means Camrys, Corollas, Rav4s... basically every other Toyota before Land Cruisers. Most techs I've known don't even like working on Land Cruisers. They are big, heavy and require you to climb all over them to work. The dealership service department would rather turn a customer away than have an issue on a seemingly simple service.
#5 As 100 series enthusiasts we think everyone should now all about AHC. Just remember that Toyota/Lexus only brought 95,554 Lx470 into the US during the complete 100 series production. In comparison they sold 430,000 Rav4s last year.

Just my 2 cents, thanks

I do AHC myself and I am all thumbs. Amd I like my Lexus dealer.

Dealerships are not interested servicing 20 years old vehicles period!!!They want you to buy a new one with warranty and they will fix it ...They make money with sales of new vehicles not fixing 20year ones....
Actually, the sales of the cars barely keep the lights on. All the profit comes from the warranty work in the back they bill Toyota for.

Did mine today using a couple random YouTubes. It was less eventful than I thought it would be. I don't have a proper bleeder hose with the attachment to affix it to the valve and figured I could just hold a basic hose onto it with my hand while it bled. I went 3 for 5 on that. So I had some fluid to clean up afterward but no big deal. Just don't be looking right at it when you turn the valve, it's a high pressure for a few seconds and you don't want a faceful of it.

Mine was the same dark brown as everyone else's. As far as I know that first batch of fluid lasted 20 years and 210,000 miles. This batch won't be left in there as long. AHC seems a little peppier.
The newer fluid is less viscous and moves more freely.

Physics is phun!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom