Toyota Dealer refused to flush AHC system on 2001 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just tried to get my AHC flushed, since to my knowledge it hasn't been flushed at any point in the last 224,000 miles. Figured it would be a good baseline maintenance item for the truck. The Toyota Service Manager refused to flush it, claiming that it is a sealed system and does not need to be flushed. I just wanted some opinions from you guys. Should I go to an independent mechanic to try to get it flushed? I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I'm willing to try doing it myself also.

The service manager is wrong. The sad truth is that these trucks are getting old enough that you often have to work on them yourself or find an independent that specializes in LC/ Toyota. The guys with knowledge of these trucks that worked at dealers when they were new are largely long gone. I ran into the same issue with my old LR Disco. The old techs were gone and they current guys had never turned a wrench on one.

Flush it yourself, super easy.

Of course the service person/manager is incorrect, many are. AHC fluid isn't something they deal with often.

Dealership ignorance

Thanks for the responses guys. I really don't understand why a TOYOTA service manager has no idea about AHC. He wasn't particularly young either. Do you think a regular independent mechanic would be able to do it? I'll call around and get quotes. I just don't want to mess up the system by trying to flush it myself.

You may find an independent mechanic that is familiar with the AHC system, but it is a very straight forward procedure that you can manage yourself. There are several threads here on Mud that detail the procedure. You could also check you local Mud clubhouse for members in your area that can lend a hand.

Why wouldn't they be able to do it? It's a simple DIY project that will take you ~30 mins to perform.

I'd be willing to be they won't know the procedure. Hopefully they put in Toyota fluid (else you could have other issues)

Thanks for the responses guys. I really don't understand why a TOYOTA service manager has no idea about AHC. He wasn't particularly young either. Do you think a regular independent mechanic would be able to do it? I'll call around and get quotes. I just don't want to mess up the system by trying to flush it myself.
Because it's not something they deal with and they don't care. Most service managers don't have much technical backround. All they think about are CSI surveys and keeping things moving.

Turkey baster, 10mm wrench, a bucket, some clear tubing with a specific ID, 3 bottles of AHC fluid, time, and directions are EVERTHING you need to do the job yourself.

Turkey baster, 10mm wrench, a bucket, some clear tubing with a specific ID, 3 bottles of AHC fluid, time, and directions are EVERTHING you need to do the job yourself.
1631383893394.gif

It's a shame on Toyota. AHC had been on their flagship SUVs for both Toyota and Lexus for 10 years. They don't have any excuse not to be familiar with it :mad:

Pathetic showing, truly- Ditch dem dang dealers! Just did the same job myself, and I would add to the must have list gloves and clothes and catchment to avoid/ be prepared for an oil bath. Glasses would be wise. I used 4 quarts, genuine Toyota AHC, bought off eBay. Could cheap it with three, but I feel confident I got a full flush.

. I just don't want to mess up the system by trying to flush it myself.

This is precisely the reason they didn't want to do it either. Afraid something will go wrong with it and then they'd be on the hook.

Any person able to pop the hood and see a 'reservoir' for the fluid would know it ISN'T a "closed system". They just didn't want to fool with it.

Dealerships are not interested servicing 20 years old vehicles period!!!They want you to buy a new one with warranty and they will fix it ...They make money with sales of new vehicles not fixing 20year ones....

You might try a Lexus dealer. All the LX470s had AHC i believe

I just don't want to mess up the system by trying to flush it myself.
You won't. Follow the directions here and ask any questions you may have.

If this is your first foray into wrenching, then an AHC flush is a good place to start. You have a 20 year old vehicle- you're gonna have to wrench on it at some point. If you plan to offroad it, the driveway is a better place to learn than the trail.

Just tried to get my AHC flushed, since to my knowledge it hasn't been flushed at any point in the last 224,000 miles. Figured it would be a good baseline maintenance item for the truck. The Toyota Service Manager refused to flush it, claiming that it is a sealed system and does not need to be flushed. I just wanted some opinions from you guys. Should I go to an independent mechanic to try to get it flushed? I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I'm willing to try doing it myself also.

I can tell you that your experience is common on the other side of the world as well!!

Previous replies have said all that needs to be said.

My Australian Owner's Manual specifies AHC Fluid replacement every 5 years or 100,000 kilometres (60,000 miles). If you can find a USA Owner's Manual it will say something very similar. Personal opinion: Replace AHC Fluid twice as often as this schedule.

Don't sweat it. Alternatives are DIY or find a willing and trustworthy independent mechanic.

Here are some good starting points for further information:

Great video and "Cheat Sheet" here:
AHC Info - https://www.yotamd.com/blogs/news/ahc-info

Comprehensive thread here:
The ABCs of AHC - How to Measure, Flush, and Adjust all in one place - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-abcs-of-ahc-how-to-measure-flush-and-adjust-all-in-one-place.1211999/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom