Toyota BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ron

Threads
Hi,
> I wonder if anyone can help us,
> We have raised the suspension 4ins on our BJ40[1979]
> and fitted 35x10.5x15 Simex Extreme Trackers
> and have a problem with the tyres hitting the front
> fenders when the suspension bottoms out or the axle is
> aticulating over rough tracks.
> we need the axle travel as we do a lot of off road
> jungle trecking
> we have tried fitting longer bump stops but the ride
> off road is not good as it bottoms out on the bump
> stops
> we have 3ins clearance on the drivers side n 4ins on
> the passenger side,bump stops to axle [its right hand
> drive]
> if you can help or know some one we can contact we
> would appriciat it
We are from Sarawak ,East Malaysia
> Thanks n Regds
> Ron Brown

i dont know how much you enjoy the fenders you got but you could take a sawzall to them. you could put a add-a-leaf on the front springs, longet shackles on the front. those are just suggestions though.

Shackles would help but you would also need to shim the axle to maintain the factory steering angles. Add-a-leafs or any other form of added spring will stiffen the ride some too.

I would of thought that the Extreme Trekker 35x12.5 :cheers: would only contact the Relay Rod on full steering lock and the Top inside Lip of the Guards aswell on full spring compression. ??? - Wind the Steering stops out as much as possible. :slap:

we have 3ins clearance on the drivers side n 4ins on
the passenger side,bump stops to axle [its right hand
drive]
With my stuffed Leaf Springs(Not Lift Springs), I have about 75mm or so from the top of the Axle Housing to the Bump Stops at resting height. :-* :flipoff2:

Thanks all,
we will try out the mods you mentioned by this w/e
regds
Ron

Ron, If you don't mind me asking - What are the cost differences between the MT117 280/85 16 and about the equivilent size in a Extreme Trekker and Jungle Trekker II?
In Australia the Silverstone MT117 is less than $250.00 each fitted and balanced, Where as the Simex in about that size is more than $400.00 not including fitting and balancing. :doh:

What made you choose the Extreme Trekker over the Jungle Trekker II?
Do you think the Silverstone's are even comparable to the Simex's?

:cheers: - I have Silverstone AT-117 in 31x10.5 and have been excellant thus far. :)

Jonathan
thanks your help. the Silverstones are around RM 350 for
MT 117 and the Simex equivelant size is around RM 400, the 35x10.5x15 Extreme Treckers are RM 510, all fitted n balanced
We use the Silverstones SQ773 on our other BJ n never had any problems with them.
for this year we wanted to get 2in more of lift so we chose the Simex as Silverstone dont make a 35 dia tyre for our rim sizes or we would probably have used Silverstone,after this trip maybe we will stay with Simex on this BJ, the extreme Trecker does not spin so much on the timber roads, the jungle one does on the thick clay,[going by my friends car] we had much more controll than he did
The Mud on the timber roads this Rainy season is verry bad some places 1.5mts deep, we came back last week from a 5 day trip n never got stuck n a lot of the time on the jungle roads we did not even have to use 4wd
we have lockrite lockers back n front

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom