Toyota Announcement on Land Cruiser Spare Parts (40 Series for Now...) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This showed up in my feed today, thought it was interesting. Very hopeful on that "later models" blurb.

Screenshot_20210801-213045.png

Screenshot_20210801-213136.png

Jason

1627879722625.png

...to get the OEM charcoal canister and driver-side rear view mirror assy for the 80

Wow I'm not all that surprised that this would be a post in the 80 series section. I'm torn on this decision.
Is Toyota is smart enough to continue making parts for vehicles they know they produced to a higher level and that are still on the road today?

Maybe they notice the low mileage examples that people are paying a premium for on BAT and the fact that some owners and celebrities are paying TLC 4x4 and other notable companies hundreds of thousands of dollars to modernize and restore older Land Cruisers (80 series and below)?

Perhaps do they notice the premium many owners including myself pay for OEM Toyota parts? The Japanese culture doesn't encourage resting on one's past successes or laurels, rather to look ahead and forward. So I'm baffled.

Maybe they just won't include the 80 series. We will all be watching here I'm sure. I find it interesting that a Toyota Engineer, Dan Rich, said on an old Overland Bound live stream on YouTube that he couldn't tell us the service life of the 80 Series Land Cruiser. I think that speaks volumes and maybe Toyota knew that the 80 Series generation of customers will need 35-40 to maybe even 50 years of parts to keep their vehicles going. Interesting stuff.

Here's the link to the video.

If there's a business case, Toyota would be foolish to not pursue it in the 40 series case. BMW does the same thing with the 2002. There's a certain cult level of people who actually have money that would make it worth Toyota's effort. Toyota simply needs to let new contracts with their existing supply chain using intellectual property they already own. Currently probably still have a few old-timers on staff who know that "rubber molding extruder number 3" needs a quick rap with hammer on the left side to release the part, etc or can still call Mr. Kanagawa or Mr. Saito up at his retirement house and ask a few questions. To wait much longer would erode the industrial base to the point of not being able to economically reconstruct it....

I do not think the 60 and 80 enjoy the same level of "Gotta Have It" iconic status. Frankly, despite the badging, a lot of folks ask "Oh, is that an old 4Runner?" and that's an indicator. Lots of LS Swaps and the like. Values are rising, yes, but without solid data, I can conjecture that we're in the bump of "I'm in my peak earning years and I can now afford that which I lusted for when I was young with two kids in diapers and trying to balance mortgage, groceries, and that quarterly trip to Applebee's" and that once this bubble passes (folks in their late 40s to early 60s), values will plateau or fall. It's happened with Deuce Coupes, Tri-5 Chevies, Chevrolet AD trucks, and other once-hot markets that have plateaued and in some cases, declined as the demographic that wanted them ages away and dies.

Last edited:
Given the nod to the 80 heritage in the marketing of the new 300 series, I'd say this is very hopeful. Toyota knows that every vintage Land Crusier still on the road is an advertisement for the values inherent in newly produced vehicles they are selling. Thus, selling parts is a direct boost to what it has to offer in new production.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom