Toyota 90915-YZZD3 Oil Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gretsch

SILVER Star
Threads
Don't flame me here. I know this has been covered a 100 times but wanted some current opinions on what folks thought about the 90915-YZZD3 filter for a stock 2F motor. Reading around the forums on the subject, it seems folks say it will work OK but a larger WIX 51773 would be better than the smaller 90915-YZZD3 filter. I have run WIX in the past but was ordering some parts for an oil pan replacement from Toyota and decided to get the 90915-YZZD3 filter while doing so because they had it and I figured a Toyota filter would work great as its, well, Toyota. Just want to get some real time today thoughts on if the smaller Toyota filter would be OK for a 190,000 mile 2F or if I should get the bigger WIX filter. Does the larger WIX offer more volume thus making it preferred for a 2F? As always thanks in advance for the help.

I had the wix on for the last oil change but then ran into a lot of horror stories on wiz quality and engine damage. I got the small toyota filter and it’s fine and on there now. On my last Rockauto purchase I picked up a large can Bosch filter to try. But I think @ToyotaMatt has the yoga big cans on his site. If not Matt then it was another mud vendor ...maybe city racer

OK thanks here. I think if I am not mistaken, @HemiAlex has some of the big cans for sale or did anyway. I thought about reaching out to him for one of the bigger versions but I was in parts mode with my Toyota order and went for the little one through the dealer. If the smaller one is fine then I might just go with it since I have one. Wondering why folks say to use the bigger filters if the smaller ones will do.

I used the YZZD3 with no issues for a few years. I did just switch over to a Union Sangyo C-110 big can style, FWIW. $5/ea on frsport.com.

OK thanks here. I think if I am not mistaken, @HemiAlex has some of the big cans for sale or did anyway. I thought about reaching out to him for one of the bigger versions but I was in parts mode with my Toyota order and went for the little one through the dealer. If the smaller one is fine then I might just go with it since I have one. Wondering why folks say to use the bigger filters if the smaller ones will do.

when I was searching mud threads on oil filter options I came across one that talked about the small and big can filters. I think the poster cut open both and compared the filter elements inside. I think the small filters work fine and it could mostly be mental....bigger must be better.....but as long as the filter is flowing enough oil across an appropriate amount of filter element then it should be fine

Excellent. Thanks Seth. I'll roll with what I have and maybe see about the larger one down the road. The smaller one just seems easy to get through Toyota which is appealing. So if it works fine then I'll go with it. Thanks for the help.

Excellent. Thanks Seth. I'll roll with what I have and maybe see about the larger one down the road. The smaller one just seems easy to get through Toyota which is appealing. So if it works fine then I'll go with it. Thanks for the help.

If you are changing your filter every 2500-3000 miles you should be fine. I'll cut my small filter open after the next oil change and see how the inside looks.

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but were not the F engine designs (along with many other similar engines) placed the filter vertical, above oil line, and upright in order to regularly field change the filter interstitial to oil changes? As such, a more frequent filter change with the smaller YZZ (and it is cheap compared to the 41010 was) should be perfectly good, no?

Mobil One oil filter. Walmart $10.

This is what I now use. For a long time I used Wix 51773 (on recommendation of Jim C). Then the bad press on Wix filters caused me to seek another option.

No issues with the Toyota yzzd3 for me for the past couple years. Changes every 3k miles and they’re inexpensive!

Currently sold out of 15600-41010 filters with no replacements in hand.

Ive moved away from mobil filters due to them being made in china for the most part now. I had mobil cartridge filter come apart on me with another vehicle.

Ill go to the dealer for my next filter, and it will be small.

I got a Bosch big can filter off Rockauto to try. It was about $20 iirc. I think the little Toyota filter was $15 at the dealer. Maybe it was less I bought it last winter.

China...Korea not sure, but according to Bob is the oil guy, Mobil one filters are made in Korea.

Ive moved away from mobil filters due to them being made in china for the most part now.

My last m1-302 was made in china.

I’ve had excellent luck with Mann filters. Im chasing down the Mann W940/81 as a possible German made filter to tide me over. Its a direct cross to a 15600-41010

Man cheaper than the one I got from the dealer:

Is this the real deal?

No. Look at what the replaced by number is.

Yeah understood. Just did not know if they were just saying they have the 15600-41010 but its since been replaced by the YZZD3 version just to let folks know or if when you order it you will get the YZZD3 filter. Still its a better price for the YZZD3 than I paid through local dealer. Maybe after shipping it would be roughly the same.

Yeah understood. Just did not know if they were just saying they have the 15600-41010 but its since been replaced by the YZZD3 version just to let folks know or if when you order it you will get the YZZD3 filter. Still its a better price for the YZZD3 than I paid through local dealer. Maybe after shipping it would be roughly the same.
Comparable to Norwalk here on the west coast, $3.73. Genuine OEM Toyota Oil Filter | 90915-YZZD3 | Toyota Parts Giant
It's somewhere around $7-$8 if I swing by my local dealer. (Concord, CA)

My last m1-302 was made in china.

I’ve had excellent luck with Mann filters. Im chasing down the Mann W940/81 as a possible German made filter to tide me over. Its a direct cross to a 15600-41010
I like Mann filters too, if you find a source for this one in the USA I imagine they'd sell well on Mud. I didn't see on their site if it's a paper or synthetic element though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom