1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toyota 350

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by mustardfj40, Feb 11, 2004.

1. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Who knows...

We find out tonight if they can get the pole for the truck race Friday night at Daytona...

3. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i think it's pisser about that, there was an article about toyota entering that comp. they had to build a new engine to run cause their "lexus" V8 was too high tech for the USA comps :)

4. jl

jl

Bad Religion,

Do you have a link to that article. I don't want another urban legend to be created because of this forum :)

5. Cruiser_Nerd

Cruiser_Nerd That 25 Guy. Moderator SILVER Star

Not an "urban legend", unless of course you might think that a fuel injected DOHC V8 is not more technologically advanced than a carbureted pushrod V8 ...... Oh yeah the domestics have the same problem, not like they're even remotely based on production motors.

Anyhooow......should be in chit-chat. Oh yeah , any NASCAR V8 is hardly primitive technology.

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

bad religion - After spending ten years on American ovals I can tell you that the rules are written to make a level playing field. When each and every manufacturer makes a DOHC V8 in a production car I'm sure the NASCAR boys will be hot to trot. In the meantime if Toyota wants to play an American game they'll need to abide by the same american rules everyone else is using. A few American car manufacturers have already made DOHC motors but aren't allowed to use them in NASCAR.
    8)

7. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

I read that US truck buyers want more power than the current v8 (2UZ engine) in the Tundras. A 350 would definately give more torque and hp and hopefully Toyota would take the advantage of the R/D of this 350.

/td

8. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

this article was actually a print article in an australian car magazine, motor i think it was, could have been wheels. i just thought it funny that a company that has a brilliant DOHC V8, and one of thebest power / weight V6's in the world have to go back and design a primitive engine :)

9. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=11374;start=msg104180#msg104180 date=1076642848]
    this article was actually a print article in an australian car magazine, motor i think it was, could have been wheels. i just thought it funny that a company that has a brilliant DOHC V8, and one of thebest power / weight V6's in the world have to go back and design a primitive engine :)
    [/quote]

First, there is not anything about those race engines that is 'primitive'..

Second, Toyota wanted to compete in a certain game....

Do you not get it?

They wanted in on the noteriety of that sport here in the USA.

Toyota has been very competitive in many of the other motorsports venues that they are involved with, if not dominated them, other than F1, and given that they have only been running competitivly for two years, had the team together for three, and are only one of two teams in that sport that MAKE EVERYTHING IN HOUSE on thier car(Ferrari is the only other), it says a lot for them to be where they are. Will only be a matter of time, and Mclearen/Mercedes and Williams/BMW, will have to watch out for that Toyota team...along with Dodge, Chevy, and Ford on the oval tracks here in the USA...

:beer:

10. mustardfj40

mustardfj40

I beleive some of the nascar rules are the engine has to be push-roded, carburated, built in the usa,...That's why previously only Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Pontiac competed in the event. Since A DOHC V8 won't qualify for nascar, Toyota has to come out with this puppy.

/td

11. xumFJ40

xumFJ40

Steve,

I see your point...and agree. However I think that you are missing the irony that bad_religion_au is trying to point out. You have to find it funny that a company that prides itself on inovation and who's R&D department left such "simple" engines in long in their past had to start over so to say to acheive what they are currently doing...

12. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh,

I understand his point...

13. moT1

moT1

Nothing primitive about Nascar engines?
    They're 16 valve pushrod V-8s with carburetors for God's sake!
    That WAS cutting edge technology, ----- about 1920!
    NASCAR is the only major motorsport series in the world where most of the fans driving to the track have more advanced engines in their cars then in the ones they are coming to watch.
    I would say that compared to the Toyota F1 engine, their new Craftsman Truck engine is a tractor motor, but that would be an insult to tractors!
    moT

14. HI^C

HI^C

I enjoy this discussion,

My uncle is running a supercharged tundra, custom made headers which are now being produced from his prototypes. runs 14's it might be under 14 by now, on a fully loaded xtra cab 2wd tundra.

15. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

[quote author=moT1 link=board=1;threadid=11374;start=msg104322#msg104322 date=1076686225]
    Nothing primitive about Nascar engines?
    They're 16 valve pushrod V-8s with carburetors for God's sake!
    That WAS cutting edge technology, ----- about 1920!
    NASCAR is the only major motorsport series in the world where most of the fans driving to the track have more advanced engines in their cars then in the ones they are coming to watch.
    I would say that compared to the Toyota F1 engine, their new Craftsman Truck engine is a tractor motor, but that would be an insult to tractors!
    moT
    [/quote]

I agree completely, except for the minor point that it is the only motorsport that uses outdated technology to keep the Americans from being blown ito the weeds. Motorcylce flat track racing is the most manufaturer-biased racing series ever. Everything is geared toward trying to make Harley-Davidson a contender. KTM and Suzuki are taking over where Honda finally left off and are giving HD a big run for their money.

I think NASCAR cars shouldn't even have factory names on them. If they let production cars run, we'd have limited edition racers back on the street again and real innovation in racing again. I don't call tuning an antique to produce a couple more horsepower innovation, i call it tuning.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">