Toyota 1HD-FT vs 1HD-FTE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The mecanical conversion/FTE swap populatity in NZ/OZ is driven by stuff previously mentioned above plus supply factors.

The 1HDFT only ever came new in 80s and for a comparatively short period. Toyota didn't make that many of them and the tend to stay in the trucks they were born into, and they seem to be mostly in JDM trucks which NZ and Oz have been importing for ages (triggered by govt deregulation of the manufacturing industry here).

Conversely 1HDFTEs came in 100 series and 70 series trucks of which there are heaps of in OZ.

All this means that if you are looking to upgrade from a 1HDT or 1HZ then chances are you wont find a 1HDFT, but 1HDFTEs are easier to come by. I've been keeping an eye out for a 1HDFT for several years, and I've seen 1 pop up in that time, but have seen several 1HDFTEs.

Also remember that rebuilds are really expensive on these engines, meaning that a few grand to sort the really basic wiring or swap a manual pump for a 1HDFTE is pretty good value.

Backing up slightly, my question is, how much better is the 1HD-FT than the 1HD-T? I know the 1HD-FT has more power than the 1HD-T, but is it just as reliable? Does it run better?

Everyone seems to like the FT more than the 1HD-T, but in stock form it makes only 4hp and 14ft-lb more. The FTE makes significantly more power and torque, but is also more difficult to swap due to the electronic engine management.

I understand the FTE makes a lot more power, but I'm interested in a mechanical fuel pump. I'm trying to decide between an 80 with a 1HD-T, or one with a 1HD-FT. Seems like the latter might be a better choice due to less of an issue with the BEB problem.

Backing up slightly, my question is, how much better is the 1HD-FT than the 1HD-T? I know the 1HD-FT has more power than the 1HD-T, but is it just as reliable? Does it run better?
FT is a heaps better engine. It’s smoother, heaps better air flow, heaps more power potential and never suffers from BEB issues. It seems 1HD-T have an inherent design flaw in that the piston pulses seem to create premature BEB wear - it’s not the just the bearings that are at fault (especially seeing as the 1HZs of the same period didn’t suffer from the same issue). FTs aren’t known for this.

1HD-Ts have issues with the IPs where they develop a lumpy idle especially on a hill, some pump shops can’t fix it. FTs never had this.

FTs have better pistons and better heads. Where the FT suffers is the stock turbo lacks - it’s actually a step back in drivability with less low down torque and slower spool up. It really benefits from an upgrade. It has heaps of potential for more reliable power whereas the 1HD-T runs out of puff pretty quickly due to lack of air flow.

Frankly I would never consider a 1HD-T - I’d save my money and keep an NA 1HZ. I would consider an FT (if I didn’t have an FTE already)

FT is a heaps better engine. It’s smoother, heaps better air flow, heaps more power potential and never suffers from BEB issues. It seems 1HD-T have an inherent design flaw in that the piston pulses seem to create premature BEB wear - it’s not the just the bearings that are at fault (especially seeing as the 1HZs of the same period didn’t suffer from the same issue). FTs aren’t known for this.

1HD-Ts have issues with the IPs where they develop a lumpy idle especially on a hill, some pump shops can’t fix it. FTs never had this.

FTs have better pistons and better heads. Where the FT suffers is the stock turbo lacks - it’s actually a step back in drivability with less low down torque and slower spool up. It really benefits from an upgrade. It has heaps of potential for more reliable power whereas the 1HD-T runs out of puff pretty quickly due to lack of air flow.

Frankly I would never consider a 1HD-T - I’d save my money and keep an NA 1HZ. I would consider an FT (if I didn’t have an FTE already)

The reduction in drivability with the FT was tuning for emissions. It basically runs leaner.
Easily tuned and turbo upgrades are everywhere.

Very detailed and important info. I sure appreciate it. I have decided to go with the FT, since that will put me in the later model ('97) of which I'm legally able to import. I can always do a turbo upgrade, should I feel the need to do it. I don't doubt for a moment that the HZ is the more reliable of that engine class. Hopefully, I can get one in a 70 series, should the opportunity arise when convenient for me. I currently have a nice 1HD-T that's going to be transplanted into my 1980 FJ40.

Everyone seems to like the FT more than the 1HD-T, but in stock form it makes only 4hp and 14ft-lb more.

These are only the peak factory figures and they don't tell the full story. If you overlaid both torque and power curves you'll find the FT is much nicer and holds on longer in the RPM whereas the DT torque drops off. Also the FT at the time had to meet stricter emissions which is why the DT can look better in the low rpm area but if the FT was allowed to have the same low down fueling it would be on top.

Where the FT suffers is the stock turbo lacks - it’s actually a step back in drivability with less low down torque and slower spool up. It really benefits from an upgrade. It has heaps of potential for more reliable power whereas the 1HD-T runs out of puff pretty quickly due to lack of air flow.
It's not the turbo. It's the tuning due to the emissions regulations at the time. The DT was allowed to be tuned much more aggressively down low compared to the FT. All things being equal the FT would be better everywhere

Very detailed and important info. I sure appreciate it. I have decided to go with the FT, since that will put me in the later model ('97) of which I'm legally able to import. I can always do a turbo upgrade, should I feel the need to do it. I don't doubt for a moment that the HZ is the more reliable of that engine class. Hopefully, I can get one in a 70 series, should the opportunity arise when convenient for me. I currently have a nice 1HD-T that's going to be transplanted into my 1980 FJ40.
No worries. Not sure the 1HZ is more reliable than an FT - if its oil is as clean as an FTE (not sure if this is the case?) it could be a high mileage potential.

I would say the HZ is more reliable just from a standpoint of it being more simple. Less to go wrong. Of course, it's all subjective.

perhaps part of the reason turbo kits for 1hz's exist is because of those known issues with 1hdt's but lots of people say a 1hz's main issue is the indirect injection whereas 1hdt had direct injection.

perhaps part of the reason turbo kits for 1hz's exist is because of those known issues with 1hdt's but lots of people say a 1hz's main issue is the indirect injection whereas 1hdt had direct injection.
No, it’s because the 1HZ is utterly gutless, and was in many different models from 1990 to 2006. The 1HD-T was only in 80 series and only between 1990 and 1996 (give or take a year or two - I’m not an 80 series expert). The 1HD-T doesn’t over heat, crack heads and crack pistons like a 1HZ-T, but it doesn’t make more power when tuned up either

1hz is still fitted new to some 79's for some markets I believe. But I hear you re power output. My 80's still-original 1hz is a fighter and it doesn't give up, but it wouldn't be anywhere near original factory spec now.

Back to the topic - 1hdft without electronics seems like the right answer but an import 1hdft motor ex-Japan is going to cost A$15k minimum (probably more). It would need to be the last engine my 80 gets so-to-speak since it's more expensive than the insurance value of the entire vehicle. This is a conundrum we all face with aging vehicles needing (or wanting) a motor replacement and in the face of a government and industry push to adopt 'toxic' electric vehicles.

i would never even consider a 1HZ over 1HD T.

i personally cannot think of one advantage.

I've only ever driven my 80 with a 1hz. No experience with 1hdt or 1hdft equipped.

It's interesting to read about the technical issues of 1hdt vs 1hdft vs 1hdfte - as a motor to replace the 1hz I was thinking initially that a 1hdt is the immediate go-to choice (being that it was a standard motor in 80's so a relatively easy sway-out) but there's a lot of evidence that 1hdft (not fte) is probably the pinnacle. It's just the cost factor vs insurance value vs keeping the vehicle or getting another one.

Here, 80's got 1hz or 1hdt mostly. 1hdft and fte were in 100/105 series, maybe 120's and 150's also.

Until this thread, I'd not been aware of any important tech issues with 1hdt besides the well-known BEB problem.

I've only ever driven my 80 with a 1hz. No experience with 1hdt or 1hdft equipped.

It's interesting to read about the technical issues of 1hdt vs 1hdft vs 1hdfte - as a motor to replace the 1hz I was thinking initially that a 1hdt is the immediate go-to choice (being that it was a standard motor in 80's so a relatively easy sway-out) but there's a lot of evidence that 1hdft (not fte) is probably the pinnacle. It's just the cost factor vs insurance value vs keeping the vehicle or getting another one.

Here, 80's got 1hz or 1hdt mostly. 1hdft and fte were in 100/105 series, maybe 120's and 150's also.

Until this thread, I'd not been aware of any important tech issues with 1hdt besides the well-known BEB problem.
I would say FTE is definitely the pinnacle, the EFI aside it’s a better engine. It has better pistons, better valves, a better head (better coolant flow) and a stiffer block. Although the EFI system results in a more reliable long term package (pump seems to go for much longer than the full mech ones) I can see the attraction of fitting a mech engine. If you really want “the pinnacle” then a mech converted FTE is the go. Given the price of FTs and the price of bare FTEs it also makes financial sense - you basically end up with a better engine and new fuel system for the same price as an original FT that’s 10 years older… there’s a couple of pump shops that are very familiar with the conversion and only need a 1HZ pump body to build an FT pump - diesel central is one, can’t remember the other

Also, 100s, 79s and coasters were the only ones to get FTEs from factory. No prado ever got a straight 6

These are only the peak factory figures and they don't tell the full story. If you overlaid both torque and power curves you'll find the FT is much nicer and holds on longer in the RPM whereas the DT torque drops off.
How would the FT be any better low in the rev range? The only advantage from more valves is flow which would only be evident at high rpm, no? Genuinely curious. If you have curves for both motors I'd love to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom