Toyota 13b cam journal specs - what to do? Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am getting my Toyota 13b diesel engine freshened up as it lost compression in cyl 2 due to broken rings.

At the moment it looks like my crank is 0.01mm under the lowest tolerance, so I am getting it ground to 0.25mm undersize which is the next size bearing.

My cam journals are measuring 0.019mm under the lower spec limit, however my parts supplier doesn't have an option for oversize bearings or a new cam. Finding a second hand cam will be difficult.

What do Mudders suggest? should I put the new bearings in and call it good? look for alternative bearing from a different model engine that might work? search for a second hand cam shaft?

I have not had the engine builder check oil clearance (for this I think I'd need the replacement bearings to be measured rather than existing???)

I will be turbo-ing this motor, so I'd prefer to do things right the first time, but availability of parts is my limiting factor! I am using Engines Australia to supply the full engine kit. They have been recommended on this site quite often.

Any advice appreciated.

just did some quick calculations based on the upper end spec of the new cam bearings and I would end up with an oil clearance of 0.128mm (compared to a maximum 0.15mm from the FSM).

Does the cam have to be from a 13B? Maybe a 14B or 3B could be made to work. A cam grind shop would the one to consult.

I've managed to source a reconditioned 13b cam, and have another source measuring a second hand one to see if it's within spec.

My question still stands - as the fsm is unclear when I read it:
It seems to state:
Measure journals to see if they are within spec.
If not go to oil clearance section.
Oil clearance section has an oil clearance range as well as a maximum clearance (which I am within with new cam bearings).
The fsm states if you are outside the max get new bearings or cam.
Since I am within the spec (right on the upper limit but well under max) does that mean I need a new cam?

image.jpg
image.jpg

If your going this far I'd be tempted to get to the standard spec. no expert just my $.02.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom