Toyos Open Country MT VS Mickeys MTZ mud radial tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ809496TLC

80 series addict
Threads
Looking at these two tires for my next set and would like to get your comments. They will be use for highway and occasional trail/mud. TIA

I love my TOYO M/T's. Put on a brand new set, drove 6800 miles in two weeks. When I compared the difference in tread depth with the brand new spare, the difference was only 1/16'th of an inch. Starting at 11/16" my math puts them at half tread depth after 37,400 miles. Not bad for an M/T:meh: Good road manners, they were great this winter (factory siping), and are fairly quiet. I would however like to try a set of the new KM2's next.

I love my toyo MT's also. I just put them on my 3/4 ton chevy. The ride is very comfortable on the road.

I love my TOYO M/T's. Put on a brand new set, drove 6800 miles in two weeks. When I compared the difference in tread depth with the brand new spare, the difference was only 1/16'th of an inch. Starting at 11/16" my math puts them at half tread depth after 37,400 miles. Not bad for an M/T:meh: Good road manners, they were great this winter (factory siping), and are fairly quiet. I would however like to try a set of the new KM2's next.

Wish you were closer. I could have let you try my KM2s while I try your Toyos. :)

I love my toyo MT's also. I just put them on my 3/4 ton chevy. The ride is very comfortable on the road.

Balanced well?

I looked at both of these choices and picked the Toyos. I wound up buying the BFG KM2s instead because the back order for the Toyos was several months. I have been very pleased with the KM2s. They are very sticky and grab rock very well and are extremely quiet for a mud tire.

For really serious off-roading, I still think the Toyos are the best choice for a TLC. They are the heaviest tire 76 lbs vs 67 lbs for the KM2 in a 35 inch tire. This can be a strength and weakness for both tires. The Toyos are going to require more energy to get rolling and probably negatively affect your gas milage more than the KM2s due to the extra weight.

Toyos have the thickest sidewalls and probably better support a heavy vehicle like the LC when aired down. The tread are is wider on the Toyo which gives you a wider footprint but the KM2s stuff better because of the narrower tread area. Some say the KM2 is quieter on the road than the Toyo but I think that is mostly an issue of opinion. Both are good tires and so is the Micky Thompson.

I look forward to hearing your reasons making your choice.

Toyos suck. If you need to figure out why, buy a set so you can realize why Toyos were the rage in 2005 and nobody buys them now.

Neither of your selections really fit your intended usage terribly well. How did you settle in on these two tires?

I had a set of MTZ's on my last rig for a short period of time (bumped up to a larger size tire) and they were great. They hooked up fantastic in the rocks on a few trail runs I took them on. I would consider them again if I was looking for a more aggressive tire.

The toyo's are made of a much harder compound than most other MT's from what Ive seen. My brother has a set on his truck and they feel hard as a rock compared to my old MTZ's and KM2's.

Last edited:
Toyos suck. If you need to figure out why, buy a set so you can realize why Toyos were the rage in 2005 and nobody buys them now.

Neither of your selections really fit your intended usage terribly well. How did you settle in on these two tires?

Forget it Nay, I'm not buying Trxus mud terrain. :D I like the way they look. Read several reviews about them and that's how I chosed these two. Present tires I currently use for my LCs are: KM1s, KM2s, Boggers, Nittos Mud Grappler

Thanks Chris.

I looked at both of these choices and picked the Toyos. I wound up buying the BFG KM2s instead because the back order for the Toyos was several months. I have been very pleased with the KM2s. They are very sticky and grab rock very well and are extremely quiet for a mud tire.

For really serious off-roading, I still think the Toyos are the best choice for a TLC. They are the heaviest tire 76 lbs vs 67 lbs for the KM2 in a 35 inch tire. This can be a strength and weakness for both tires. The Toyos are going to require more energy to get rolling and probably negatively affect your gas milage more than the KM2s due to the extra weight.

Toyos have the thickest sidewalls and probably better support a heavy vehicle like the LC when aired down. The tread are is wider on the Toyo which gives you a wider footprint but the KM2s stuff better because of the narrower tread area. Some say the KM2 is quieter on the road than the Toyo but I think that is mostly an issue of opinion. Both are good tires and so is the Micky Thompson.

I look forward to hearing your reasons making your choice.

I haven't checked lately, but availability was one of the reason I went with KM1s instead of the Toyos. I'll have time to wait this time and hoping it won't be too long. :)

I have the mtz on my daughters 80. they are incredible in the mud, rocks, and trails. Spent a week in colorado on all types of trails. We have lots of loose rock/gravel tails around here. They work fantastic.They are loud on the road, not sure they wear real well as a DD, and they suck on snow. Have done several snow runs and I did not like them. Couldn't hold a line as I kept sliding sideways while all the other 80's did fine. The only other truck that had troubles was a 40 on Mtz's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom