Toyo Open Country AT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I searched the 100 board and it seems like the Toyo Open Country AT is a fairly good tire. I was intending on purchasing the Nitto Terra Grapplers but they do not offer the size I need for the hundy 275/70/R16. So if anyone has had any experience with the Open Country AT here in AZ I would be real interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on that tire. I really do not want to go BFG because my father has split the sidewall on his tires three times within the last two years. I dont really want to go MT because its going on my wife's vehicle and she does mostly highway commuting so that will kill the life span of an MT. Any one have thoughts or ideas on other tires that work well here in AZ I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, :cheers:

Justin

Try a 265/75/16. It's about the same height and a little narrower.:idea:

Toyo AT and Nitto TG are basically the same tire. Nittos are typically a bit cheaper.:hmm:

Thanks for the info. I will have to look in to how much a set will run me.

Know a couple of users who have had good results with them, also heard great reviews on the Open Country H/T for family truckster type use.

My friend runs the Toyo Open Countrys on his Full szie GMC deisel and has liked both the on and off road performance. He is on his second set. They have been good to him - no issues at all.

When I was shopping for tires I looked at all of them in the store and felt and measured the thickness of the sidewall. The side wall on the Toyo AT is very thick and felt much thicker than the BFG AT's. The advertised 3-ply side wall that companies promote is more of an advertisement sales scheme it seems. You really need to see them in person to feel the difference and where the thickness is on the tire. They all differ and so do the rubber compounds.

I have only torn 3 sidewalls on tires off road driving in my life and all 3 were side wall tears in the same weak spot. Not only do you have to look at the thickness of the sidewall in person but also examine the compound of the rubber and the quality of it. A softer compound will mold and flex more where a harder compound like the BFG AT's seems to be more resistant to small punctures but will tear rip open easier to larger impalement's.

I have noticed this because the softer tires have Choia always stuck in them or fling more of them everywhere, and harder tires have nearly nothing stuck in them and fling very little Choia or none. I know this having Choia hit me in the face, arm, and twice cactus in the ass that was flung into my seat that I later sat on.

The Toyo AT had a very thick sidewall and also a reasonably soft compound. The only reason I didn't get them was because of the lack of side wall lugs, and I didn't like the way they looked, plus a 4 day wait for them to order my size.

Another thing to take into consideration is that many brands have promotions going on such as $50 off a tire or buy 3 get one free. For me it came down to time, money, and function for what I use my 80 for (mostly light trails and camping exploring).
l_f7db3cf920f748999a8945d8000d0081.jpg

Hum that is almost a mirror image of where my dad tore open his BFG all terrains. I am really looking for a basic all terrain for my wife's rig because honestly it will see light trail use if that. So I guess the question is do I stay the OE size and get the open country AT or do I drop to a 265 and get the Nitto AT. I guess I will be busy pricing them out this weekend and hopefully I will get it done this weekend.

When I was shopping for tires I looked at all of them in the store and felt and measured the thickness of the sidewall. The side wall on the Toyo AT is very thick and felt much thicker than the BFG AT's. The advertised 3-ply side wall that companies promote is more of an advertisement sales scheme it seems. You really need to see them in person to feel the difference and where the thickness is on the tire. They all differ and so do the rubber compounds.

Agree, somewhat, maybe?:hillbilly:

None of the manufactures list the cloth/ply spec, one would think that cordura nylon would be tougher than ladies nylons? So it becomes 3ply of what, agree good advertising.

IMHO, if you plan to wheel in AZ, you are going to cut tires, part of the deal, period. Tire durability is about more than ply count and how stiff they feel. A softer tire will better conform to terrain, often make better traction, sometimes stretch/flex over points, be more difficult to cut. I ignore advertising and prefer to go with local knowledge of what works in the local terrain.

I have differed to the knowledge of the group about my next tire buy because you guys have been wheeling the Nitto tires pretty dam successfully. That said its just a matter of do I stay stock size and get the Open Country or do I drop to the 265 and get the Nitto. If it was my truck I would be running the Cooper SST and would call it good, but its the wife's and she would be rather displeased to have her stock ride destroyed because of mud terrains. My main concern is running in to an install problem with switch to the 265 size. I think I read in another tire thread that when you took your rig to discount they would not install a new tire on it because it was too skinny for the wheel in their opinion, yet you have had no problems what so ever with the tires coming off the rim. So this is where I am hung up at. I can get the Open Country in the factory size and maybe skirt the issue of having to deal with an issue like you did. Yet some say that the Open Country just isn't as good as the Nitto. So that where I am at. I have found a couple good deals on Ebay for the Nitto. I am still searching for the Open Country and am trying to see what kind of deal I can get on those.

Agree, somewhat, maybe?:hillbilly:

None of the manufactures list the cloth/ply spec, one would think that cordura nylon would be tougher than ladies nylons? So it becomes 3ply of what, agree good advertising.

IMHO, if you plan to wheel in AZ, you are going to cut tires, part of the deal, period. Tire durability is about more than ply count and how stiff they feel. A softer tire will better conform to terrain, often make better traction, sometimes stretch/flex over points, be more difficult to cut. I ignore advertising and prefer to go with local knowledge of what works in the local terrain.

Different stores may differ on the answer. I have had better results at my local Discount than some have reported at other locations. Just go in and ask to make sure. John

My guess: For your use it is a toss up, pick what is available. Toyo is the parent co, Nitto the subsidiary, so the two tires are very close, likely come from the same place. For a mama ride I would also look at the Open Country H/T and Dura Grappler, for the intended use, may last longer, ride better, etc.

I have to agree with Kevin. Nittos have been the choice here because they're typically cheaper.:hillbilly: Either would be a good choice for your needs.:D

So I am now thinking I might go 295/75R16 for the hundy. Looks like I shouldn't have any issues running these tires with out a lift. I am wondering if I am going to have a significant decrease in gas mileage. Any one running 295 size tires?

So I am now thinking I might go 295/75R16 for the hundy. Looks like I shouldn't have any issues running these tires with out a lift. I am wondering if I am going to have a significant decrease in gas mileage. Any one running 295 size tires?

Im 285 on our 100 and have been very happy. I have traveled with another 100 running the same tire in 295 and there was a noticeable power difference. We are still able to pull attached trailers without issue with 285s. MPG is around 15.5 loaded on a normal trip.

Im 285 on our 100 and have been very happy. I have traveled with another 100 running the same tire in 295 and there was a noticeable power difference. We are still able to pull attached trailers without issue with 285s. MPG is around 15.5 loaded on a normal trip.

Phil I was thinking about the 285 as a possibility but I think its a 32 inch tire. I would be wanting to take the hundy on some club runs and I thought I read somewhere that the smallest tire I would want to run on the trails here is a 33 inch tire and ideally a 35 inch tire.

Phil I was thinking about the 285 as a possibility but I think its a 32 inch tire. I would be wanting to take the hundy on some club runs and I thought I read somewhere that the smallest tire I would want to run on the trails here is a 33 inch tire and ideally a 35 inch tire.

It is all a compromise, bigger tires are better on the trail, but will take a hit on the road. If it is mama's daily, how much of a compromise is she willing to take? Remember, a happy mama is a good thing and messing with mama's car can be trouble.... :hillbilly:

Where do you want to go? We have been on several club runs in our 100, and been denied very little if any. Bumper clearance is your biggest limiting factor.

I have 295 TG's on my 100. They are getting a little long in the tooth, and in addition to the slight power loss, they are louder than the 275 Bridgstone Dueler H/T's I just took off after our road trip. How is your wife's tolerance for noise in a DD?

I am going to look at the 285s this weekend. Problem is I may end up with the hundy and may sell my 80 and my 4runner to fund a car purchase for the wife. The other part of that problem is if I end up moving to San Diego next year for law school I will take a beating with gas prices out there so I may end up having to trade the hundy in on a car for myself. I figure if I get about 16mpg when the AC if off which is not to bad but if I end up building the hundy with a lift and 35s and front and rear bumpers and a winch and drawers and a fridge plus dual batteries and sliders its going to be one heavy sob. So my gas would likely drop to maybe 14mpg. So I am kind of stuck right now not really knowing which way to go as far as tires goes. The 285 does seem like a good compromise though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom