TOYO MT vs KM vs KM2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at 33 X 10.5 x 15s, my BFG 33 x 9.5s have had it...

what say the masses about these three tires? I am looking for decent road manners, and off road capability.....

or any other suggestions??

I have had my KM2's on the road a few times and they felt like all terrains.

I have a set of Toyo Open Country MT's on one truck and a set of BFG KM2's on the other; here is my 1-minute review of each:

Toyo's are strong but HEAVY (E-rated in my size). The tire for sharp rocks or anywhere punctures or sidewall gashes are a concern. Very long life for a mud tire; I have 50-60,000 on mine and they still have enough tread left to pass inspection. Never ever had a single flat in all that time. Balanced well, good highway manners though highway whine increases with age. Good traction on rocks and sand when aired down enough, good in snow, nothing special in mud. What I don't like about them is that they are so stiff that they don't soften easily when you air them down - have to go down to 10-11 psi, and that on a heavy truck (FJC). They knocked a few mpg off of my fuel economy because they are so heavy.

The KM2's I have on my 40, I like these tires a lot on that truck. They took a lot more weights to balance than the Toyos but ride very well on or off road. Road noise not bad but I only have about 5,000 miles on these so far. Good traction on rocks & sand, did fine in the one snowstorm I drove them through, haven't tried them in any serious mud so I can't say there. They air down easily, and steer really easy in this size (33x10.5x15) on my non-power-steering 40. No complaints on these tires so far. I hope they last a long time and are puncture-resistant (no flats so far); if reasonably so I will most likely buy these tires again for the 40.

i have 35X12.50 KM2's on my 67 and almost daily drive it here in Orlando. These tires run great on the road. they balanced very well and I cant hear them over the normal Cruiser noises.. No shimmys or shakes... and i run with no power steering... i am very impressed coming from a set of goodyear MTR's that I never could get blanced right..

I've got Toyos on my FJ and KM2s on my Defender. Both are great. I think the Toyos have better on road manners and will last longer than the KM2s.

Toyos are a much beefier tire and probably worse for mpgs.

I might be heading to an all terrain in the future on the FJ since it's my daily driver/long distance wheeler.

I have KM2's as backup offroader set for the K5. They originally came off after I found that I liked the MT MTZ more. The last two winters here in MD have proved they are just right for my application. I do run 315/75/16 which 35 x 12.5" equiv for DD, except for my 74 which is 38 x 15.5" wide.

I've run 285/70/R17 KM2's on my dual-purpose FJC for 3 years/30k miles and have been pleased with them both on and off road.

I'll put another set of the KM2's on the FJC when the current set wears out, and will probably go with a set of 33x10.5x15 for the 40 in the near future as well.

The KM2's I have on my 40, I like these tires a lot on that truck. They took a lot more weights to balance than the Toyos but ride very well on or off road. Road noise not bad but I only have about 5,000 miles on these so far. Good traction on rocks & sand, did fine in the one snowstorm I drove them through, haven't tried them in any serious mud so I can't say there. They air down easily, and steer really easy in this size (33x10.5x15) on my non-power-steering 40. No complaints on these tires so far. I hope they last a long time and are puncture-resistant (no flats so far); if reasonably so I will most likely buy these tires again for the 40.

X2. I have been very impressed with their on road manners so far (maybe owing to the fact that the previous off-brand MTs were terrible.) They have been up to the task of anything that I've wanted to do off-road. They probably give up a little in that department to the more aggressive tires, but the KM2s are hard to beat for a tire the does everything pretty well.:beer:

I have 33 10.50 X15 toyo MT's on my FJ40. they are nice in every way. The steering is also not bad at all with my "armstrong PS"

So I went with the Toyos, I think I must have an issue with my alignment, I'm finding the truck wanders easily as compared to running it with the winter tires or the 33 X 9.5 X 15 BFG MTs...

I see all the comments about road manners, I'm all over the place if I'm not constantly on it when booking it down the highway...

Not Toyos or KM2s, but I have the yokahama geolander m/ts, very well behaved on the road as my truck is a DD. Have not had them off road yet. I bought them because TR had a great sale and I like the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom