Toying with the idea of buying a LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I have a 2005 LX470 that is really my wifes car (I bought it for her). I have a 2008 BMW 750Li, but I've been bitten by the mud bug and I think I want to get an LC to turn into an offroad rig. The LX is in really nice condition and I think it's too nice to beat the hell out of. Hence my dilemma.

What is the best year to buy for a DD/weekend warrior? I know about the upgrades on the 06 and 07 (engine, brakes) but I've been finding very few LC's in 06 and 07 with standard suspension, all have AHC. I want standard suspension. I also want navigation and a 5 speed...so probably 03-05 is the sweet spot.

Any help/advice would be appreciated guys, thanks.

sounds like you already know what you want and have done your homework, what's your actual question?

Is there anything to be warned away from on any years? Does one year, or version (98-02) (03-05) (06-07) imparticular stand out as being better than any other? Nav is easy to retrofit, so do I even care? 5 speed huge advantage over the 4 speed? I already know I don't want AHC, that's pretty much my only requirement.

I wouldn't be scared of the AHC, use it until it fails then replace with the suspension of your choice.

Check out the Slee UZJ100 newbie guide. If you scroll down a little bit it goes over each model year and the differences between them

Some highlights (these are for US versions):
98 - 99 - Rear Lockers were optional. 2 pinion front diff
00 - 02 - No factory lockers, front diff went to 4 pinions. VSC and ATRAC added
03+ 5 speed transmission and more output from the V8.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

Edited - Thanks for catching that TwiceWithHair. Sorry for the mis-info.

Last edited:
this is funny, I just picked up a LC recently as the wife did not want me to mess with her LX. She was not thrilled that I have 3 vehicles but she prefers that vs. having sliders and a lift thrown on hers.

I like the a-track but wanted old dash which is easier to put new nav in ect. Also wanted non-vvti and no AHC to keep it as simple as possible. Ended up with a 2000 and could not be happier.

I wouldn't be scared of the AHC, use it until it fails then replace with the suspension of your choice.

Check out the Slee UZJ100 newbie guide. If you scroll down a little bit it goes over each model year and the differences between them

Some highlights (these are for US versions):
98 - 99 - Front & Rear Lockers were optional. 2 pinion front diff
00 - 02 - No factory lockers, front diff went to 4 pinions. VSC and ATRAC added
03+ 5 speed transmission and more output from the V8.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm

Edited - Thanks for catching that TwiceWithHair. Sorry for the mis-info.

Great info, thank you.

I think an 04 or 05 would be best. Then I will have some ability to mix and match on the wifes 05.

You're on the right track - 03 to 05 are the best years with the modern interior like your LX, but without AHC. 03 is the last year of tranny dipstick / fill tube. But 04+ have the rear cam in the dash. I love my '03 black / tan. It was hard to find one without all the fake wood on the insides and gold on the outside. By some random luck, the one I bought had no fake wood and black pearl emblems.

When shopping for mine, an '03, I also targeted '03-'05 for the same reasons cited here. I gave up quickly trying to find one meeting all my criteria that also didn't have gold and wood. Thankfully both of those are pretty easily remedied if they aren't your cup of tea.

Mod the '05 you already have and buy the wife a 200.

Sounds like price isn't an issue... or is it?

Nah, I'm willing to spend up to 25k for a great hundy I can keep for many years.

Mod the '05 you already have and buy the wife a 200.

That plan was on the table, but we looked for a nice lc 200 and couldn't find any nice private sellers close by. Lots of them were priced over 40k and had very high miles (over 80k). Our LX only has 109k on it...barely used.

I'm eyeing a Black Garnet Pearl 07...

If you're going to have a shop install a lift, it's probably an extra $500 or so to remove the AHC completely. I wouldn't let that scare you away.

Personally, I'm playing around with the idea of keeping my AHC and just going to stronger torsion bars and coils when I add bumpers/sliders. That's quite a bit cheaper than a full lift kit and I'll still be able to get into my garage with it.

I'm eyeing a Black Garnet Pearl 07...

Looking at the scratches in my black LX I would say go for a lighter colour if you plan to offroad it. Though the forest is extra aggresive here...

For 25 grand you can buy your wife a lovely used Porsche and put an icon suspension kit in the cruiser that you already have. Just sayn.

Found an 04, one owner, bought at the dealership that is selling it, all service records, 90k miles, thunder cloud gray/gray, nav, roof rack, running boards, looks pretty good. 20k

Did it have the 90k service?

Yep, done 2k ago at 90k. All the service has been done at this dealer and it was purchased there brand new!

Got all the records, tires are good, brakes (front rotors and pads, rear pads) done 8k ago, they just put a new battery in it. Thing is cherry!

I put a down payment and I'll be picking her up tomorrow, gents! I'll be sure to post up pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom