ToyBox Questions & Radiator Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They said the 4.70:1 ToyBox and a SM420 with 4.11 diffs would yield 3hundredsomething:1. Exactly how low is 3xx:1 anyway? I have a feeling its really low. Also, is the 420 the lowest transmission we can fit without extensive modifications? And.... How is the toybox controled? If it adds a extra stick, then I would have 4 sticks (i have PTO)?

Radiator: Mine has spung a leak, and when I resto is, what is the best choice for a replacement in a restoration for the closest to OEM rad. Or do they still sell OEM rads? :)
Thanks!
-Trevor

Trevor-

Your math is a little fuzzy....

7.05x4.7x4.11 is only 136:1

Now, if you are going to run this through the low range gearing of a Land Cruiser transfer case you will get:

7.05 x 4.7 x 1.99 x 4.11, (low range from a four speed tcase) will net you 271:1

7.05 x 4.7 x 2.3 x 4.11, (low range from a three speed tcase) will net you 313:1

I do not know if I would go with a 4.7 Toybox behind a 420 and EXPECT a one-piece Land Cruiser transfer case to live...I am sure that it could happen, but that is a lot of tourque going through something that has proven to be marginal with just a 420 in front of it...

The 420 is a good tranny option, as is the 465. These swaps have been done for years and there is ample reading material out here on them.

300:1 is low....and in all reality, rarely needed. The 4.7 gearset for the crawler boxes was made for the 4cyl and v6 mini's that do not have the same low end tourque that the Land Cruiser six produces, or a V8 can supply.

Yes, a Toybox is controlled with another shifter lever, and that will add one to whatever your count is now.

You can get an OEM radiator from cruiserdan out here, or there are aftermarket options. Go with a four core.

Good luck!

-Steve

Ooooh, neat-o. Ok, thanks. One more q. What exactly do the transfer case savers do? They look like they hold something together. Am I right?

The t-case savers are really just steel reinforcing plates that stiffen the aluminum housing at it's weakest points. They do seem to work moderately well, but it still can/t compete with a split, or an orion, atlas, d300 or others.

Hm... Why have I only heard of ther orion... What other replacement Xfers are there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom