Towing with wheel spacers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I run a 2000 LC with a 1.5 OME lift and Tough Dog shocks. E load rated 18" K02s. No rear bumper, but sliders and front bumper/winch going on by the end of the year.

I want to install Bora 1.25" spacers.

My question - I tow a 5100lb (dry weight) travel trailer. It tows great, have a weight distributing hitch with sway control.

Is it safe to trailer using the Bora spacers? Can't think of anything worse than breaking a spacer at 65 mph on the highway!

Thanks!
Mark

Not sure on Bora but i run the Slee/Spidertrax and tow without issue. I drag my son’s 80 all around the Midwest (6400) + trailer (2700) = 9100 w/ 700 tongue weight. I’m running 305/70R17 tires, King rear coils, 30mm spacers and AirLift bags inflated to 25psi when loaded. AHC is set 1.25” higher than stock and is in spec as configured...the 100 tow’s great. I wouldn’t attempt crossing a pass in CO but these rigs are great little tow rigs. Just keep the tranny fluid fresh and watch it’s temp. The Scangauge 2 can be configured to pick up the trans temp and it may hit 200’ish up a long grade in hot weather but recedes within seconds heading down the other side. My 2011 F150 5.0L Auto 4x4 on 35’s w/ HD tow package runs a little hotter on similar runs w/ same load. No load distributing hitch on ahc equipped but have used one with coil sprung rigs. We spent a couple hours at a local Cat Scale fine tuning our load/placement of the 80 on trailer to find the optimum distribution. The 100 was way more stable w/ 700 on the tongue vs 500 or 600 with this heavy of a load.

49630B1E-F1B6-48D3-AF48-23B10CD18188.jpeg

347B5BBF-6898-4DF9-BB52-91B048746CF5.jpeg

I run a 2000 LC ...
I tow a 5100lb (dry weight) travel trailer. It tows great, have a weight distributing hitch with sway control.
/QUOTE]

What model Travel Trailer?
I tow a 3,000 lb Rpod 180 and it tows very nicely.
My 2002 tows on flat ground with OD - course I switch it off on inclines.
Thinking of upgrading to a bigger Travel Trailer.
Good to hear you tow 5100lb just fine.

It's probably 5500lb with water in the tank. It is a North Trail 21FBS. Tows nice, I leave the OD off most of the time. I use Torque Pro on my phone with a Bluetooth OBD adapter to watch the trans temp real time. It runs between 150-180 degrees based on load, with a fresh fill of Toyota WAS.

Excellent info!

Not sure on Bora but i run the Slee/Spidertrax and tow without issue. I drag my son’s 80 all around the Midwest (6400) + trailer (2700) = 9100 w/ 700 tongue weight. I’m running 305/70R17 tires, King rear coils, 30mm spacers and AirLift bags inflated to 25psi when loaded. AHC is set 1.25” higher than stock and is in spec as configured...the 100 tow’s great. I wouldn’t attempt crossing a pass in CO but these rigs are great little tow rigs. Just keep the tranny fluid fresh and watch it’s temp. The Scangauge 2 can be configured to pick up the trans temp and it may hit 200’ish up a long grade in hot weather but recedes within seconds heading down the other side. My 2011 F150 5.0L Auto 4x4 on 35’s w/ HD tow package runs a little hotter on similar runs w/ same load. No load distributing hitch on ahc equipped but have used one with coil sprung rigs. We spent a couple hours at a local Cat Scale fine tuning our load/placement of the 80 on trailer to find the optimum distribution. The 100 was way more stable w/ 700 on the tongue vs 500 or 600 with this heavy of a load.

View attachment 1576619

View attachment 1576622

It's probably 5500lb with water in the tank. It is a North Trail 21FBS. Tows nice, I leave the OD off most of the time. I use Torque Pro on my phone with a Bluetooth OBD adapter to watch the trans temp real time. It runs between 150-180 degrees based on load, with a fresh fill of Toyota WAS.

Cool. I also have Torque Pro and the ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 and I also have Techstream I use with a WinBook tablet.
Last week (cold weather) I towed my 3,000 lb trailer I read around 139F with Techstream
and in August towing (hot weather) I was thinking I was getting around 155F using Torque Pro.

Hmmm. I do wonder if I have my Torque Pro set up properly for monitoring Transmission Temperature.
Did you have to install an addon to get Torque Prop to show Transmission Temps???? Also, do you use strap on towing mirrors?

Last edited:
Cool. I also have Torque Pro and the ELM327 bluetooth OBD2 and I also have Techstream I use with a WinBook tablet.
Last week (cold weather) I towed my 3,000 lb trailer I read around 139F with Techstream
and in August towing (hot weather) I was thinking I was getting around 155F using Torque Pro.

Hmmm. I do wonder if I have my Torque Pro set up properly for monitoring Transmission Temperature.
Did you have to install an addon to get Torque Prop to show Transmission Temps???? Also, do you use strap on towing mirrors?

Buy these, don't mess with anything else. There are the best-made cheaply priced item I've ever bought, they go on and off easy, don't shake at all. Completely surprised by how great they are for the price. Only one mirror in each box, so buy two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile-ma...rectFailed_an_em&c=Redirector_EmailRedirector

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom