Towing with the 8 speed transmission question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought this one as I wanted a unit that worked with iOS via BT (some iOS compatible are only WiFi I believe). It comes with a “free” enhancement pack so you can get the Toyota specific PIDs.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6
I have the non plus version of this that I use on my Navigator for FORscan programming but it won’t work on iOS or Toyota... looks like I’ll be stepping up to the plus. Thanks for saving me from the rabbit hole.

I bought this one as I wanted a unit that worked with iOS via BT (some iOS compatible are only WiFi I believe). It comes with a “free” enhancement pack so you can get the Toyota specific PIDs.

OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6
I have the same one. I’m curious which VID you use for the gear the transmission is in. I tried a few but none ever changed from 0. TC lockup and temps work fine for me.

I have the same one. I’m curious which VID you use for the gear the transmission is in. I tried a few but none ever changed from 0. TC lockup and temps work fine for me.

It’s this one:

Status of the Shift Status / 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th

This is the ODB monitoring screen I use. Blue ring is TC lockup.

@linuxgod My experience towing with this setup is A LOT less than yours, but mirrors your observations.

Only difference is I use D when towing except when I need S - and I have gauges to know when I need it.

Generally 6 or 7 when towing, but I have seen 8. The 8 speed transmission will lock the TC down to 2nd gear (yes, I have seen that).

I aggressively downshift on steep grades to ensure engine braking (down) and TC lockup (up).

You’re spot on with the RPM bands, in my experience.

View attachment 2602379
Nice. Do you mind sharing how you got the TC lockup to show? I wonder if it's 8-speed specific or if I just missed it? I'm surprised you can lock up the TC below 5th gear... the FSM implies that isn't possible (at least through the 2018 MY). See below. I wonder if that changed with a software update, or if the TC lockup status isn't entirely correct (i.e. it's reporting that TC lockup is "available" but not necessarily "engaged")?

BTW for those with the 8 speed I looked up some values you can use when setting up your gauges. This is what the FSM says about transmission temp for both the 6 and 8 speed:

Min sensor temp -40F
Max sensor temp 339.8F (171C)
ATF light come son at 302F and goes off at 275F
If ATF > 266F and engine coolant > 203F then the transmission will lock-up into 3rd gear until ATF temp < 230F and engine < 203F

For the 6 speed: When the ATF temperature is normal, transmission lock-up occurs in 5th or 6th gear with the shift lever in D or with the S6 range selected, in 5th gear with the S5 range selected, and in 4th gear with the S4 range selected.

For the 8 speed: When the ATF temperature is normal, transmission lock-up occurs in 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th gear with the shift lever in D or with the S8 range selected, in 5th, 6th or 7th gear with the S7 range selected, in 5th or 6th gear with the S6 range selected and in 5th gear with the S5 range selected.

Seems like 266-301F would be "yellow" and 302F+ would be "red". How you set up your gauge warning ranges is of course up to you.

Side note: Here's a slightly old screenshot of my default dashboard. (I've updated my ranges so the numbers end in 0s now). GPS speed is nice since oversized tires put my 5% under on the speedo. Nevermind the gear - 1-6 shows up correctly, but P/R/N are weird. 14th gear is apparently parked.

1614865367774.png

Nice. Do you mind sharing how you got the TC lockup to show? I wonder if it's 8-speed specific or if I just missed it? I'm surprised you can lock up the TC below 5th gear... the FSM implies that isn't possible (at least through the 2018 MY). See below. I wonder if that changed with a software update, or if the TC lockup status isn't entirely correct (i.e. it's reporting that TC lockup is "available" but not necessarily "engaged")?

BTW for those with the 8 speed I looked up some values you can use when setting up your gauges. This is what the FSM says about transmission temp for both the 6 and 8 speed:

Min sensor temp -40F
If ATF > 266F and engine coolant > 203F then the transmission will lock-up into 3rd gear until ATF temp < 230F and engine < 203F

For the 6 speed: When the ATF temperature is normal, transmission lock-up occurs in 5th or 6th gear with the shift lever in D or with the S6 range selected, in 5th gear with the S5 range selected, and in 4th gear with the S4 range selected.

For the 8 speed: When the ATF temperature is normal, transmission lock-up occurs in 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th gear with the shift lever in D or with the S8 range selected, in 5th, 6th or 7th gear with the S7 range selected, in 5th or 6th gear with the S6 range selected and in 5th gear with the S5 range selected.

Seems like 266-301F would be "yellow" and 302F+ would be "red". How you set up your gauge warning ranges is of course up to you.

Side note: Here's a slightly old screenshot of my default dashboard. (I've updated my ranges so the numbers end in 0s now). GPS speed is nice since oversized tires put my 5% under on the speedo. Nevermind the gear - 1-6 shows up correctly, but P/R/N are weird. 14th gear is apparently parked.

View attachment 2602792

Thanks for sharing this information. . .very helpful. The TC lockup PID is called "Status of the Lockup".

Are you aware of a PID that shows whether the transmission is in "D" or "S"? I've looked at all the PIDs and nothing is obvious.

Which PID shows the instant fuel economy? I've tried a couple to no avail.

Also, for my vehicle (2019), the TC Temp fluctuates quite a bit, and shows values that can't be correct (like 20 degrees when it's 80 here in Tampa).

My current layout. The TC lock indicator is nested with the gear display.

930DF45D-E277-487C-A771-A8DED39B26C6.png

Last edited:
“Status of the Lock Up” in ODBLink (using the same MX+ listed above).

Thanks for posting the temps and lockup information, @linuxgod . I have witnessed TC lockup in 4th and 2nd. 4th was in D, 2nd was with the Transfer Case in Low, I’m pretty sure (was a while ago). With the 2nd gear one, TC temps dropped (long steep slow uphill grade).

I’ve tried, and haven’t figured out how to get GPS speed working on my 20. :(

Min sensor temp -40F

View attachment 2602792

For your gear display, try “Status of the Shift Status...”. I haven’t seen anything strange using that PID.

“Status of the Lock Up” in ODBLink (using the same MX+ listed above).

Thanks for posting the temps and lockup information, @linuxgod . I have witnessed TC lockup in 4th and 2nd. 4th was in D, 2nd was with the Transfer Case in Low, I’m pretty sure (was a while ago). With the 2nd gear one, TC temps dropped (long steep slow uphill grade).

I’ve tried, and haven’t figured out how to get GPS speed working on my 20. :(

Go to the GPS section of the PID menu and try “GPS Speed”.

Go to the GPS section of the PID menu and try “GPS Speed”.
Yeah it's not a Toyota PID, it's a generic OBD Fusion. GPS->GPS Speed

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this information. . .very helpful. The TC lockup PID is called "Status of the Lockup".

Are you aware of a PID that shows whether the transmission is in "D" or "S"? I've looked at all the PIDs and nothing is obvious.

Which PID shows the instant fuel economy? I've tried a couple to no avail.

Also, for my vehicle (2019), the TC Temp fluctuates quite a bit, and shows values that can't be correct (like 20 degrees when it's 80 here in Tampa).

My current layout. The TC lock indicator is nested with the gear display.

View attachment 2602871
Fuel->Instant fuel economy. It's not an SAE or Toyota PID

@catastrofe Which PID are you using for GPS speed? - posts crossed in the ether... I’ll look into it. Thanks!

Curious what the ATF degradation is?

@catastrofe Which PID are you using for GPS speed? - posts crossed in the ether... I’ll look into it. Thanks!

Curious what the ATF degradation is?

ATF degradation is supposed to indicate the condition of your transmission fluid. There’s not much info available, but I believe it increases based on ATF being excessively hot.

@Hants how do you change the ring color to show the TC is locked/unlocked?

I did something similar. Shrunk the gear dial to fit inside the ring.

Very cool guys. Wonder if there's any ability to export the dashboards you guys have put together for others to use?

For your gear display, try “Status of the Shift Status...”. I haven’t seen anything strange using that PID.
I see "Status of the Shift Status / Lo or Hi". Seems like that's saying 4Lo or 4Hi, not torque converter locked/unlocked?

FWIW I vaguely recall @cruiseroutfit not worrying about transmission temperature in Monica until they exceed 250F. I know they have supplemental cooling in addition to stock but it’s a good reference.

Interestingly enough, Toyota STOPPED including the aux transmission cooler on all Tundras in 2019. Not even an option. A downgrade to me, personally that I’m glad did not carryover to the Cruiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom