Towing with FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reviewing the forum and several searches, I am looking for input on towing with my 40. I bought it and want to see what I need to add to the setup.

Trailer 16 foot enclosed with 3 karts (avg 200lbs each) or 5x12 open trailer, same payload max 1,000lbs plus trailer.

73-built 283/TBI, SM420, stock t-case, 4 inch HFS Springs, Shackles, 35-BFG AT on FJC steels. FJ60 power disc F and monte carlo disc R. Power steering. Would like to add a 2 inch receiver mounted to the frame like my 80 and 100. I know I can tow with those, but AWD it not the best option. I live in Denver and it is all city towing. Plus it is much cooler to show up at a race track in a 40!

THANKS!

Attachments

• Cruisers.pdf
    569.3 KB · Views: 205
My computer says your pdf is damaged.

I would think that you will not have any problem towing what you outlined. Brakes would have been the weak link, but you have addressed that issue. Your main issue will be getting the hitch ball low enough so the trailer sits level.

Pic, take 2

Pic, take 2

Attachments

• Cruiser Fam.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 229
A drop hitch will get it low enough, braking and stability would be the biggest concern. Short wheel base vehicles are not good tow vehicles, especially a trailer that is longer then the tow vehicle. Just take it slow and you will be fine. Test drive it with those brakes first, 35 inch tires and the extra wait might be ok, but you will know once you start towing it.

stock drive train with well over 200k. Trailer weighs around 1600
33's no trouble except in the snow;)
IMG_1157 (Large).jpg

I've had a 16' enclosed and a 5x12 landscaping trailer.

The 16' was almost 2500 lbs empty... Add 1000 lbs of cargo and it'll be close to the weight of your 40, and a big sail to boot (less than ideal).

The open trailer was 1500 lbs. It was a dream to tow. I wouldn't think twice about to wind it with 1000 lbs of cargo. I hauled many loads of sand (1/2 yard) in it without any problems.

I'd take the tandem axle 5x12' over a small utility trailer any day... The tent trailer I towed was scary when loaded.:D

Using factory cast hitch... Roughly 1" thick... Don't know the rating.

Last edited:
My computer says your pdf is damaged.

My computer says I'm Damaged:banana:

Anyway I am quite intrested in this as I want to tow heavy trailers 4000 lbs for quick short distances.

I was wondering why short vehicles are no good for towing?
semi's are quite short compared to the rig they tow about 1/4 of the length or in Oz about 1/20???
I have heard a rumour about Landrover:eek: Conversions in the UK where you can get air brakes fitted and tow up to 3500Kgs or around 7700lbs and this on short wheelbase vehicles.
I am sure there must be a way to tow massive loads safely but I don't know how!!! Any truckers have any ideas???

Cheers and think of all the heaps we have towed about:steer:

"I am sure there must be a way to tow massive loads safely but I don't know how!!! Any truckers have any ideas???"

Get a massive truck :cheers:

D'oh

Fell into that one

Just remembered you have to upgrade the suspension on the landy as well

Anyway I am quite intrested in this as I want to tow heavy trailers 4000 lbs for quick short distances.

I am sure there must be a way to tow massive loads safely but I don't know how!!! Any truckers have any ideas???

Rent a truck.

I was wondering why short vehicles are no good for towing?
semi's are quite short compared to the rig they tow about 1/4 of the length or in Oz about 1/20???

The load is connected directly over the massively overbuilt axles, tires and brakes. You could reproduce this in an fj40, but it would then be good for nothing else, as a big rig is.

Short wheelbase vehicles will spin or jacknife much faster and easier than a long wheelbase vehicle. Makes them more dificult to control. Just like a car going 180 mph is more dificult to control than one going 20 mph.

Sorry didn't want to Hi-jack this thread, but,

I was only wondering.:beer::beer:

I don't want to tow the max that I can build a 40 to tow.
That would be a semi.
I was only talking about towing a bitmore than is normal for most vehicles (around 1500kg or 3300lbs in the UK) and we're not talking f250 and full size suv's.

I'm sure the safest way is to get the trailer right for the job, and loaded properly

any way acoleFJ80 I would not even worry about 1000lbs on a trailer.

After all A 40 weighs around 3470 lbs and a few tow these around on an old school heavy trailer in another 40

Thanks for the input all! Now I need to measure the frame and find a 2 inch receiver to bolt up. Skipping the bolt on option to the rear cross member.

On a heavier load I strongly recommend a weight distribution hitch. It moves the weight from being directly on the ball of the rig and distributes it throughout the whole frame of the vehicle. It can really help with that wagging you get when your trailer starts pushing you down a hill. Loading the trailer properly and trailer brakes are also essential. You can buy these hitches at most trailer/rv supply stores and many places online. Mine came with my camper and I love it.
I would not use my 40 for hauling anything too heavy though. We had a young man killed here in our small town here when he was pulling a trailer too big for his rig. He was just moving it a short distance but there was a small hill and the trailer started pushing his rig and caused him to jack knife. It was very sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom