Towing with an FZJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a lot of reading on here about towing and never found a really good thread about what these rigs can comfortably tow.

I read posts that said to never tow with one because it can't get out of it's own way, to people who towed 10k ++ lbs.

I'm sharing my experiences to help anyone searching in the futures. I hope other people will post their set up and how well it tows (or doesn't).

My LX is mechanically stock with an OME stock height springs and 285/75 Goodyears.

I towed a 2200lb pop up trailer a few times a summer for the last couple years. I live in NW Montana and towed locally and a few trips to northern Idaho. Some good grades.
Trailer had electric brakes and I added a brake controller to the LX.
I pulled most grades in 2nd at high RPM. My technique is to down shift before the grade and hit it a higher RPM. This typically allows me to pull at 55-60 mph. If I didn't have a run at a grade it would slow significantly and not accelerate.
Braking was good.
Tracking wasn't great. I always felt like the trailer was bobbing around a bit.
I think the heavy OME springs help stabilize the load.

This spring I bought a boat. 19' Supra Sunsport on a tandem trailer with surge brakes. Weighs around 4000lb, probably a bit more. I was very concerned the LX wouldn't be able to handle it. I was looking at 100 Series and Tundras while I was waiting to pick it up.

Got the boat in Boise, ID and towed it home on 2 lane roads via Missoula, MT. Some good grades on that route. The LX pulled it just as well as the 2200lb popup. Better in some ways. I was really surprised and impressed.
It wasn't any slower on grade than with the lighter popup. It tracks much better with the tandem axles and stops fine with the surge brakes. No need for a replacement tow rig. Happy day.

I've towed the boat to the local lake a hand full of times this spring. Does fine, no issues on the ramp.

Not much drag with either the pop up or the boat. That could make a difference. After my experience with the boat I wouldn't hesitate to get a 4k-5k camper.

Cell phone pic of LX and boat.

LX%20and%20Supra_zpstcynzjix.jpg

I pull a Kawasaki teryx on a 12ft trailer pretty easy and it'll pull a 16ft trailer with a small 25hp tractor on it pretty good but I wouldn't put a whole lot more. I'm running stock gears and 255/85/16 toyos

Did you go up the white bird grade on 95 with that or did you cut over to 93?

I do not.

My cooling system was refreshed a couple years ago. New rad, modded fan, water pump, hoses, etc.

I also drain/fill the trans every 2 years.

I've been towing my 20 foot Ranger for several years in my 94. I have not had issues either yet. Also towing on a tandem axle with surge brakes. Although I haven't towed on too many steep grades because I don't have to go too far. Sorry for the crappy picture.

image.png

I towed our 20 foot bay boat, it was labored but no issues with cooling. Just plan your down/up hills accordingly and you will be fine. Sounds like you maintain the truck well, big help there...

FB_IMG_1465102037675.jpg

Rented this a few years ago...was very slow going up the hill

Was on a soft gravel ramp this weekend. Trailer tires dug in to almost the axle on the way in.
Friends we were with had seen vehicles unable to pull their boats out there with out getting strapped to another vehicle.

Put the LX in 4 low to pull the boat out. Pulled up the ramp just off idle with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom