Towing with a lifted 100 or 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My budget is around 30-35k so I'm either looking for a unicorn 100 or a mid-range 200. My question is around towing. I have a light camper (2500lbs) and the 100 was really great towing it, even into Frisco once. A lot of the vehicles I'm coming across are lifted. From a towing perspective, should I avoid anything that has been lifted? Is it a non-factor? Any suspension mods that should be avoided?

I mostly lurk on this list, but this community has been invaluable to me and we couldn't have enjoyed this rig anymore. Looking forward to the next one!

20200407_173545.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
30-35k for ANY 100 series is leaving lots of cash on the table. Low mileage isn't near that valuable.

200 series, no diggity, no doubt.

We tow with our 100, but if I was blowing 35k I'd be towing with a 200. Or an f150 with the ecoboost.

Last edited:

200 series, no diggity, no doubt.

We tow with our 100, but if I was blowing 35k I'd be towing with a 200. Or an f150 with the ecoboost.
Nah, the F250 diesel with 900+ lb-ft. of torque. That's the towing ticket. They can be had in the price range with "some" miles.

The major issues with lifted vehicles and towing are sagging due to rear spring rates and reduction of towing capability due to the need for a long drop hitch. The first one can be overcome with airbags, if it becomes an issue between spring rates with everyday livability and a preventing sagging rear when towing. The second won't be an issue unless you buy a 12" lifted 100 series that needs a 16" drop hitch to tow your trailer.

If you want the most grunt, buy a 200. A 4.7 won't be able to match the 5.7 for outright pulling power.

Nah, the F250 diesel with 900+ lb-ft. of torque. That's the towing ticket. They can be had in the price range with "some" miles.

With the weights that we tow I have preferred the gassers, but there are definitely some deals out there on the diesels if you're into them.

Wait for the 300 at this point.
The issue on the budget is the required upgrades. If I buy one that has already had the work done to match my banged up 100, roof rack, sliders, tires, etc.....that quickly puts me outside of my budget in many cases. Especially with a grocery getter 200. I did my searches before posting and there is a lot about towing with a stock 100/200 but there doesn't seem to be consensus on whether a lifted vehicle I buy from someone else will be "tow ready" and stable.
With the weights that we tow I have preferred the gassers, but there are definitely some deals out there on the diesels if you're into them.
Thanks, all. I did some searching on old threads as well. I'm going to seek out a non-lifted vehicle and see what I come up with. The sliders, tires, and roof rack add up quickly so trying to find a 200 in that range that either has them or I'll go with a 100 and leave myself some extra cash for extras. On the Ford comment, I have three kids and need the room for carpooling (assuming that is a thing again someday!). They're pretty spacious, I know, but shoving one kid into the third row is more of a relief than the extra towing power and stability :) - - - thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom