Towing with a FJ-40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have done a search in the forums about this subject but havn't found anything on limits. I have a '69 with a freshly rebuilt .040 F, 38mm Weber, chevy distributor, header, new clutch and rebuilt 3 speed and new brakes. I was wondering if anybody knew what the towing capacity is of a factory '69 era. I am not so much worried about safety, I have read all the cautions on that and will turn back if I don't feel safe. But what can the truck handle? Will I fry the clutch? Will I ever get out of second? When I lived in CO I was always downshifting to get through the passes, but that was also before all of the mods. BTW the trailer is a 21ft, 5000 lb camper, with load leveling and sway bar.

If I remember correctly my 69' 40 has a tow rating of about 2000lbs and I dont think I would want to push that limit. My 60 has a rating of 5000lbs and like Tonkota I dont think I would tow a trailer that big with my 60 even though its rated for it.

I'm just thinking ahead, but do you think I could tow a pair of snowmobiles behind a '40? They shouldn't be that heavy and any trailer for that won't be too long...

I'm just thinking ahead, but do you think I could tow a pair of snowmobiles behind a '40?

The issue is trailer weight, I would do 1,500 pounds with one of mine but I would get a harbor freight trailer and set it up for towing with the FJ40, you're going to be hard pressed there weight wise.. But if you account for better springs, tires and motors then what the 40 was rated at new you could pull more however still have a 90inch wb to deal with making what the rig is able to pull and what it can pull safely two very different things..

I have pulled a 2300 lb trailer for a couple of thousand miles. It was a bit of a strain, but never felt squirrely. I will say my rear springs sagged after that, but CCOT's CDS springs have that history anyway. I think there is a lever effect with a short wheel base vehicle that is accentuated by a long trailer. I would not be inclined to pull more of a load than that 2300lbs, but after all, it is a tractor motor/farm implement. You should be able to pull something! Just don't be in a hurry!

i pull a 12' quad hauler(it was a two place sled trailer), that might go 1200#s. i would'nt want to go more weight then that. 33"s&4:10's + hills=slow BUT there.

I have a 327 with auto in my 71. I used to pull a 3K lbs travel trailer. It was not very stable because of the short wheelbase. With the V8 and auto, I did have the power. Had the trailer brakes quit on me (controller), and it had its way with me on a downhill (drum brakes sucked trying to stop 7500 lbs!)

I pull my '17 ft driftboat with my 40, but I also have 4 wheel discs. Which makes a huge difference for stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom