Towing with a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about telling us what you are looking to pull...

small box trailer with some furniture no probs with 33's... 30 ft research boat once (still on 33's), sagged the already sagged springs, but no probs otherwise. 2f is torquy as hell.

2300 lb camper/trailer in a 71 FJ40 with an F engine. Managed to hit 73 mph max on the freeway. Get trailer brakes if you're going to handle anything big.

my 76 fj40 with a 2f 35"s and 3.70 gears hauling a sled trailer with 2 snowmobiles on it. its a bit scary at highway speed (probably the short wheel base) :cheers:

74 FJ40 with the F engine and 34's. pulling a pop-up camper about 1200 lbs, slow on the hills, but then it's slow on the hills without the trailer!

I have pulled a heavy duty trailer with a #18 trackhoe behind my '78 FJ40. The trip was about 15 miles in mountains. The trackhoe was probably 3000 lbs. I took it slow, 45 or so, bcause it was probably a max out but the 40 did very well. It always impresses me what those machines are capable of.

I used to regularly pull a 21-foot sailboat to Mexico from Arizona with my '73 FJ40, stock. About 3500 pounds for the combination of boat and trailer. But just last week I pulled a U-cart concrete trailer 45 miles out to my house in the sticks, including up one steep dirt hill. The rental people said the yard of concrete and trailer weighs about 5300 pounds. Again, no problems, although I now have four-wheel disk brakes, which is a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom