Towing with a 1983 bj60 3b diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I pulled a 10 x 5 across the other way from Quebec to BC with my BJ42 with a 3B in it. It was slow going up hills and a lot of heat on the engine but it will get you there. Many times in second gear to go up on the highway and fifth gear was mostly just along for the ride

Good luck

I think it has more to do with weight or air restriction. it is not too powerful of a machine. I pull a trailer all the time. but it weighs about 3 to 4 thousand pounds and sucks. if you are only pulling a thousand pounds and nothing sticks out beyond the truck it should be fine.

but speed requires HP. You can do alot to keep the truck running in the powerband but if you have alot of wind, or create your wind by speed you still need the horspower to maintain speed.

Depends on the load in that trailer... Fortunately those uhauls are pretty short, probably no taller than your wagon. Just a long slow trip. I would think about your brakes too. 60 brakes are mediocre at best and attach a trailer without brakes and just don't plan on a panic stop or stopping in general.

Tony

you are lucky, you are heading down hill with a tail wind ... till you hit the shield if you go through Canada.

me, if i was doing the tow i would head down over the border at Minot North Dakota and then the I94 across. nice and flat and still down hill. Quebec, if you cross back over will have some decent hills to contend with. i would stay south.

easy on the hills and for gods sake install a pyro and after market water temp gauge before you head out.

plus fuel in the States is cheaper than in Canada.

be careful right now about going through fargo or anywhere near the red river. alot of the area is flooding and roads are closing. I94 is nice and smooth. rolly in MN. but you still need to cross the red river. the forcast is also for rain.

As a former Uhaul employee of two summers, I can tell you that all Uhaul trailers have intertia accuated brakes. As your truck slows down, the change in inertia will cause the trailer brakes to engage, thus saving your brakes and slowing the trailer down. Thats how the system works, I'm not saying it works well though. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom