Towing / Weight Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, so here's the deal. I have a buyer for one of my 40s that will not be coming to Utah with me. I am just trying to see if it can safely be hauled on this trailer.

The trailer max cargo load is 2500 lbs.

The 40 consists of the following and the weights I am guessing on.
Frame -400 lbs
Complete axles - 500 lbs
Body tub - 400 lbs
Complete Windshield frame - 40 lbs
Complete Hardtop - 300 lbs
Hood - 50 lbs
Fenders - 40 lbs
Roll bar - 60 lbs

No engine, transmission, transfer case, doors, or seats.

Cruiser fits fine on the trailer just concerned on the weight and small trailer single axle wheels.

17 hour haul to Colorado. What do you all think?

20220904_111613.jpg

I think I'd flat tow it ahead of putting it on a light 2 wheel trailer. FWIW, when I flat towed a FJ62 with no engine, tranny or transfer, it scaled at 3330 lbs.

That’s a long ride to to be wondering If it’s going to make it. Rent a car hauler , relax and enjoy the ride.
@1969FJ
Was hoping to let the buyer use my trailer because it eventually needs to come to my place in Utah which is only 6 hours from his place in CO

The old 2 birds, 1 stone thingy

Second that. Not on that trailer. Highly recommend 6 or 8 lug tandem axle trailer with e brake. Uhaul or Penske will have them. 40s are heavy!

Second that. Not on that trailer. Highly recommend 6 or 8 lug tandem axle trailer with e brake. Uhaul or Penske will have them. 40s are heavy!
Based on what's here I am still under 2500 lbs. However, I know what you're saying. It seems an odd way to do it but I don't know why it seems odd :hmm:

Based on what's here I am still under 2500 lbs. However, I know what you're saying. It seems an odd way to do it but I don't know why it seems odd :hmm:

I have seen many a small wheel, single axle trailer have extreme wheel issues at high speed and the outcome was bad. I understand what you want to do but most on here realize the possible issues with that light trailer. Perhaps if you stay off the interstates and keep speed well down risk will lessen.

Risk/Benefit analysis: Risks are that the buyer borrows your trailer and has a catastrophic incident destroying the 40, the trailer and possibly causing serious injury or damage to himself, or others. You wind up in court. The benefit is you might get your trailer to Utah in one piece. I'd say the risks far outweigh the benefit.

Years ago I learned the problem of trailering on a single axle trailer and the weight exceeded the towing vehicle. My vote is to error on the side of two axle trailer.

I am not a fan of those small tire trailers personally. I think their intended use is primarily for snow sports toys? I saw them all over the North East US while living there, you never see them in the south west US. The reason I don't like them is wheel bearing speed. The smaller the diameter of the tire, the smaller the circumference and the less distance travelled per revolution. Those bearings (and tires) could be spinning twice as fast as a regular car hauler trailer bearing travelling down the freeway. I'm sure its a great little trailer for hauling stuff around, but no way no how would I load it near its max capacity and set out on a long road trip at freeway speeds. My 0.02.

For safety of others I vote no. Didn't mention the tow vehicle which is safety for the tower. I can see bearings over heating and failing with tiny tires. Loaded to the max and RPM much higher with small tires just asking for trouble. Always see numerous tent trailers sitting on the side of the road with the axle stripped down past the bearing. See plenty of lifted trucks towing a tent trailer 85 MPH down the freeway which probably the reason see so many on the side of the road.

Pulled a single axle travel trailer across the continent many times.
The axle was rated for the trailer weight with fourteen inch rims, full sized bearings and electric brakes.
Kept the bearings packed and maintenance regularly and in the 18 years I had that trailer I never had a problem.
Every stop I felt the hubs to see it they were getting hot.
My car carrier has duel axles and I am sure I have over loaded it in the past.
In my travels have seen several trailers with a lunched axle.
One of the common statements was I haven't used it for several years.
There are a lot of factors in towing.
Hitch rating, vehicle capacity, trailer capacity. load distribution to name four of the most important.
Spending a little extra $ for a decent trailer now could save a lot of $ later on.

I've done some stupid stuff thru the years, more so many years ago when I was younger and invinsable.
never did anything like that tho
there will be too much weight up high and it will be very squirrly going down the road.
big NO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom