Towing w/a 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much can i really tow with my rig having stock suspension and 200k on the clock? I'm planning on towing a 2nd gen 4runner to move it about 20 miles.should i just borrow my friends Cummins Dodge and get it over with?:doh:

John:D

LMAO

I guess i just posted in the wrong forum no wonder i could not find it in the 60's hey it still have a 4runner in the post.i hope the moderator could move it. sorry for the confusion. :eek:

John

No problem... Just balance the trailer so you don't put to much down force on the tail end of the 60. If you are going to flat tow it, pull the drive shafts.

Make sure you have SOME tongue weight on the trailer or else the "tail will wag the dog". Not fun. Your 60 should have no trouble pulling that load 20 miles. As long as it is not all uphill. Even than it will pull it. Just not very fast. Have fun and tow safely.

brakes, or lack thereof, are the biggest issue.... and i see you're in the east bay so i'd stick to surface streets. 880 would be scary towing

I would borrow the dodge as then there is no doubt that it will work and you'll be safe.

Ahh, naw, 20 miles, no problem- I towed my cruiser home with a 1st gen Montero!

Do agree about the brakes, though- either give yourself LOTS of room, or get trailer brakes.
They're worth more than anything else, short of good trailer geometry...

t

If you can borrow the Cummins, do it. It is a much better, safer tow rig.

I tow my ae86 on an 18 foot tandem axle car hauler around the city all the time. It doesn't get over 80km/h on the highway on the flattest ground, but it does fine in the city when I can keep it in third. I'm sure with the 2f you wouldn't have an huge issue towing. I've also flat towed a 1985 Toyota Pickup across the city, an Envoy, and an old f350 15kms out of the bush.

My cruiser is a BJ60, so it's making 82hp. Add on top of that it's SOA, 35''s, and with the 3/8th bumpers front and rear, full size spare and all the storage s*** in the truck I'm pretty sure the truck itself is breaking 6000lbs.

Here is a photo I snapped last spring heading to a shop with the car. I had my old phone back then so it looks like a watercolor painting.:D:
3d828cd9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

For all your suggestions,just found out that i didn't have any wiring for the trailer maybe it's a good idea not to tow for now.will be borrowing the Cummins when the time comes maybe this Sunday.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom