Towing Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am moving back to Colorado from Michigan this next week (thank goodness). I have a single axle trailer that I am pulling a couple couches and the normal life stuff packed in it. Other than the obvious put most heavy stuff in the front, is there anything else I should think of while towing back home?

Like- putting more in the trailer than the truck? I know the LX says it can pull over 5000 lbs but even dry the truck feels it back there

Thanks all

IMG_3657.JPG

Looks like a good set up ! I am not sure what the recommended weight distribution is but I like having my heavier items just forward the axle and have a good spare for the trailer, keeping most items in trailer locked up out of sight. It also looks like your towing level and that is the other big thing , I run a huge drop hitch to get a level tow on my trailer.

wish I could move out there instead I will be headed to the dump !

bU1wWX__JhPZaY9wCxCTnhdrjyn9lwUw9PRdRjqtCb_IVJRizMN_6kR2NdEsf70bQdcV2F9-oxqY4uqaka4FOmfP6aF91ABqCIb1WcErar5lY4Yy7amIDlwj5vaIDJx-Gv9SDD1KlJK3qc5e7NNpxeMlE2g244B9jlwbwbrM4lMIVVU20deVmjT8JxSjlKgdH13T8XVhe8jB67h7iHts1NPOfUvLR4MR1efDsRpDmMCnKvjgXjRB3N87j5o95EzOI1nfzqL7ZksCvMtT3zEf-TRLmlhs37Pl1dPg5z10z6ssYyVydCd3xcWRCCsHNqfkH9u5QiB10-07ub9oArDWW1GmMJufJmIJUILRWXrje4OEc1BqySwbBHyeu2wwCUH1lvXxL8jfVrl2vePwYv6CElnPsXT55ScBzcs3hv7_DoXWl8pnvXP873xI6IPp2biuiWJD_nxuhDMIQPVfgma5tMtWKSn5pOUPJbo7fRWQ20Sf-BJJRjNFpugeJSeb8tzLQYzpsPNHG5BgTGrS7OXFp6-0--Nr-YvIcklJ-wyooSUKnWlu0-1uJbeM6jpaEABqDrYxGmI08thVWh8md3dY6Mu0kGUiJ8bFIZGP5hk6rGacuJwHlGOIWw=w373-h662-no

Looks like a good set up ! I am not sure what the recommended weight distribution is but I like having my heavier items just forward the axle and have a good spare for the trailer, keeping most items in trailer locked up out of sight. It also looks like your towing level and that is the other big thing , I run a huge drop hitch to get a level tow on my trailer.

wish I could move out there instead I will be headed to the dump !

bU1wWX__JhPZaY9wCxCTnhdrjyn9lwUw9PRdRjqtCb_IVJRizMN_6kR2NdEsf70bQdcV2F9-oxqY4uqaka4FOmfP6aF91ABqCIb1WcErar5lY4Yy7amIDlwj5vaIDJx-Gv9SDD1KlJK3qc5e7NNpxeMlE2g244B9jlwbwbrM4lMIVVU20deVmjT8JxSjlKgdH13T8XVhe8jB67h7iHts1NPOfUvLR4MR1efDsRpDmMCnKvjgXjRB3N87j5o95EzOI1nfzqL7ZksCvMtT3zEf-TRLmlhs37Pl1dPg5z10z6ssYyVydCd3xcWRCCsHNqfkH9u5QiB10-07ub9oArDWW1GmMJufJmIJUILRWXrje4OEc1BqySwbBHyeu2wwCUH1lvXxL8jfVrl2vePwYv6CElnPsXT55ScBzcs3hv7_DoXWl8pnvXP873xI6IPp2biuiWJD_nxuhDMIQPVfgma5tMtWKSn5pOUPJbo7fRWQ20Sf-BJJRjNFpugeJSeb8tzLQYzpsPNHG5BgTGrS7OXFp6-0--Nr-YvIcklJ-wyooSUKnWlu0-1uJbeM6jpaEABqDrYxGmI08thVWh8md3dY6Mu0kGUiJ8bFIZGP5hk6rGacuJwHlGOIWw=w373-h662-no
I have really soft springs (wasn't my ideal choice but the guy put them in) so it seems to sag more than I would like, but overall is it ok that it does?

I pull a trailer like that all the time, locally, with my LX. Never more than 1000# in it (so, total weight maybe 2500#)?? Mine is a 7x12 V-nose, and DOES have electric brakes. I can absolutely feel my trailer back there, and the truck wants to run in 3rd up all the hills. For any long distance towing, I use my Suburban. I'd recommend taking it slow, loading the trailer evenly (making sure you've got the correct amount of tongue weight), and I'm hoping it has brakes:)

I pull a trailer like that all the time, locally, with my LX. Never more than 1000# in it (so, total weight maybe 2500#)?? Mine is a 7x12 V-nose, and DOES have electric brakes. I can absolutely feel my trailer back there, and the truck wants to run in 3rd up all the hills. For any long distance towing, I use my Suburban. I'd recommend taking it slow, loading the trailer evenly (making sure you've got the correct amount of tongue weight), and I'm hoping it has brakes:)
No trailer brakes haha definitely going to approach lights and traffic a little slower. Good thing I'm not in a hurry to get out there!

I need you guys to talk sense in to me. I have 1200 miles coming up in the next two days. The trailer tongue jack hits the ground on big bumps, the trailer feels very heavy but the motor is pulling it fine. Should I just take off the tongue jack?

IMG_3788.JPG

Tongue jacks usually flip up out of the way. If yours does not, probably a good idea to remove it or be careful around bumps.

I can't quite make out the picture but flip over the ball mount (and obviously remove and rotate the ball so it's right side up). I did this on my 5,000 lb boat setup to help level the trailer out. I think your drop mount is too low.

I can't quite make out the picture but flip over the ball mount (and obviously remove and rotate the ball so it's right side up). I did this on my 5,000 lb boat setup to help level the trailer out. I think your drop mount is too low.
I finally made it home last night! Thank you all for your help. I ended up grabbing a new hitch with a two inch rise instead of the 4 inch drop I had before. Also to note, the guy I bought the trailer from on Craigslist said that the tires were good to go. After a 45 minute drive with 2000 lbs in the trailer I thought to check the tire pressure to make sure. They were at 10 lbs (!!!!!!!!!). So I pumped them up to 50 where they should be and it rode like a dream. Never underestimate tire pressure people. Between the hitch and the tires the LX made the 1300 mile trip with NO problems! Going to take her for a wash today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom