Towing Question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty much stock right now with the exception of a 2.5" OME lift. I have an older 1988 Grady White Seafarer 226 which with a full tank of fuel and engine probably weights close to 5,000 lbs not counting the trailer. I usually tow this with my Ford 150 4x4. I know that the specs for towing for my LC is 5,000 lbs. Has anybody towed anything that weighed this much with their truck?

For 12 years, I've been towing a Grady White 192 with my previously stock 94 FZJ80. With trailer and gas it hits 5000lbs, and I've never had a problem.

I'd imagine you're at least 1500lbs heavier than I am. I think the route and distance will determine if you're going to have problems. If it's flat and short you're probably OK.

Do you still have 31" tires? If you've gone bigger, that will add to the problem.

Yep, still have 31" tires but will be going to 33" soon. I guess it's cutting it pretty close. I'd probably be better off keeping it on the old Ford. I know the LC has a lot of low end tourque and I really keep the PU just for towing and emergencies. Oh well would have been nice to be able to have an econo box for a DD rather than the LC. I would have that much more to spend on mods.

towing with a 97 80 series

I have towed for years with a 97 80 series wagon, It is supercharged which helps out in the power area. I use a weight distribution hitch to take the load. My load is a 16 foot car carrier that weights 1800 pounds empty and a modified 76 FJ40 crawler. I usally carry extra parts, camping gear, tools and the family. The rig tows really nice even in the mountains of VA,NJ and PA. It surprises many 80 owners when I pulll up with that much in Tow. Many of my trips are 7 to 12 hours long each way at interstate speeds. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom