Towing my new fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I am new to the forum, but was hoping someone here has experience with towing their fj40 that may help me. I intend to purchase a 69 with SBC already installed. It has a tow bar also and I need to get it home from LA to San Diego (@150 miles). So my questions is, can I tow it with my 97 Ford Ranger 2wd truck? My plan is to disconnect both drive lines and double check that both diffs have fluid and tow it home. I also have the option of renting a 3/4 ton truck, but was hoping to save a couple hundred bucks by towing it with my ranger.

I towed my BJ40 on a Uhaul tow dolly with our 2013 4Runner from Memphis to Austin. Pulled fine but breaking was the main issue. Not terrible but I had to make sure I gave myself plenty of space.
I see plenty of dude's heading south with old Tacomas and Nissans flat towing one or even two behind them! Always looks sketchy.

Welcome,

I'd be concerned with the weight of your ranger. It's probably lighter than the fj40, which would be bad. The 40 might push you all over the place.

Your planned course of action will not injure your new old cruiser.

As others have said, it's a heavy bitch so make sure your Ranger is up to it. FWIW, I towed mine for a few miles behind a Datsun 240Z. I was young and dumb, and it was scary.

I would not tow an FJ40 that far behind a Ranger. It can tow it, but it's what happens in an emergency that changes the game. No trailer brakes, either since it's being flat-towed.

I used to flat tow my rig and never unhooked drivelines. As for the Ranger, I flat towed with a F250 SD so Not sure on that combo but it flat towed just fine. Also the SBC is lighter than the stock engine and if it’s topless or a rag top your Ranger might work fine for the short distance IMO, but be careful with no tow brakes.

I have 96 Ranger and pulled all kind of things with it,but never 40 But I believe it will pull it...If you want so save some money,rent U-haul tow dolly( do not tell them what you will be pulling-tell them some light car etc..) -it is safer for maybe rent 65,-$ ...for only 150 miles I would not even disconnect driveshafts..I have seen somewhere that you should leave the TCase in 2 WD not in Neutral because it is not greasing well inside of TC or disconnect the driveshaft...Ranger will pull it just drive slow-I mean about 50 max....This is what I would do ,but not telling you you should do it this way...Be carefull...

Thanks to everyone for piping in. A guestimate on the Ranger weight is 3400-3700LBS, and google says the FJ stock is 3263. The one I am getting has the SBC and no top so I am guessing it could come in at 3000 or less. Based on those numbers I think I might just give it a shot. If all else fails I can park the cruiser somewhere and come back with the bigger truck the next day.

I'm sure you will see me back on here often now that I have this new toy.
My first Fj was a '75 with a SBC that I owned back in the 80's (should have never sold it) so I am excited to get back into the game.
First big project is front disc conversion. Any members in the San Diego, CA area that want to get in on the action? Let me know I will take all the help I can get.

I have 96 Ranger and pulled all kind of things with it,but never 40 But I believe it will pull it...If you want so save some money,rent U-haul tow dolly( do not tell them what you will be pulling-tell them some light car etc..) -it is safer for maybe rent 65,-$ ...for only 150 miles I would not even disconnect driveshafts..I have seen somewhere that you should leave the TCase in 2 WD not in Neutral because it is not greasing well inside of TC or disconnect the driveshaft...Ranger will pull it just drive slow-I mean about 50 max....This is what I would do ,but not telling you you should do it this way...Be carefull...

You are suggesting that the Ranger should be good towing the trailer? Isn't the trailer/FJ combined even more weight or does the trailer brakes offset the extra weight?
Sorry, you said tow dolly, not tow trailer. I see! I think I will try it as a flat tow and if I run in to problems I can always go to uhaul and get a dolly. Thanks for the ideas.

I live in your county. Here is your answer. No...... not with that truck.

Rent a full size truck and get a UHaul car trailer or you will be sorry.

The minimum I tow with is the family Ford Expedition 5.4 or Our Tundra 5.7 and rent a Uhaul car trailer.
Uhaul will not rent you a car trailer if you show up with a small pickup.

Why do I push Uhaul?.......their trailers are heavy and track very well. It's all about safety.

Or.......spend the extra money and have it delivered.

Back under my rock I go.

You are suggesting that the Ranger should be good towing the trailer? Isn't the trailer/FJ combined even more weight or does the trailer brakes offset the extra weight?
Sorry, you said tow dolly, not tow trailer. I see! I think I will try it as a flat tow and if I run in to problems I can always go to uhaul and get a dolly. Thanks for the ideas.
I have been towing with my Ranger loaded trailer with concrete and construction materials,rocks etc.for 10 years...But I am not sure if I would tow the FJ 40 on the trailer with it-most likely not..I only would on the dolly and go really slow all the way...Also depends if you got hills -we do not have hills where I live...if you want to pull without dolly-older 40s do not have locking steering wheel so it would be a little chalange and more dangerous...

Go with the u-haul advice. A 40 fits fine on a u-haul trailer but rent or borrow a tow vehicle.
B9C52E15-3E8A-4114-BD44-0435DF561EEF.jpeg

Damn! All you naysayers have now convinced me to pony up and go the full size tow rig with a trailer route. I knew all along it was safer, but was hoping to save a buck.

Again thanks to all for your inputs. Happy Trails!

I'll mention one thing then I'll stop. Saving a buck can cost you unimaginable amounts of grief and possibly a lawsuit.
Once you get past the Marine base on the 5, you hit hills. The most important item on a vehicle in SoCal ?..........BRAKES
That is where your plans would have taken you sideways into a hell you don't want.

I'll mention one thing then I'll stop. Saving a buck can cost you unimaginable amounts of grief and possibly a lawsuit.
Once you get past the Marine base on the 5, you hit hills. The most important item on a vehicle in SoCal ?..........BRAKES
That is where your plans would have taken you sideways into a hell you don't want.

This. Seriously. A couple hundred in cruiser bucks is like piss into the pacific

Oh, and welcome :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom