Towing Heavy with 3FE and 4:88's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally got to test out the HEAVY towing ability with the 3FE and the 4:88's with the 32" tires... UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I have a 3y/o Chaparral Deck Boat that weighs about 4500lbs empty, with a double axle trailer weighing 1500lbs. The trailer has the newer surge brakes that work very well. If you haven't used them before, and if your only familiar with the old style surge brakes, then you won't understand that there isn't a comparison in performance. The newer surge brakes will stop on a dime, even with the FJ80's marginal brakes.

I've towed this with a Ford Super Crew F-150 HD with the 5.4L V-8, dual cold air intake, dual exhaust all the way back, computer chip programmer, super unleaded fuel, stock gears 6" lift , and 35" tires.

The Cruiser has 32" tires, 4:88's, 3FE 4.0L, with adv. timing, super unleaded fuel, and that's it...

I filled the tank of the cruiser, filled the 62 gallon tank on the boat (Ford hasn't ever towed it up this same hill with a fully loaded boat), and the performance was exactly the same...

1st gear through the same very long (about a football field in length and then some), very steep hill, from a standing start. Crested the steep part and into second the rest of the way up.

I know the Ford with the 4:56 gears that it needed would have done a better job, but I was pleased with the Cruiser's ability. I really wondered if it could do it. Not to mention that the Cruiser has 185,000 miles, and the ford had only 75,000 miles on the clock.

I got to drive about 30 miles of country roads with the boat in tow, and the ride wasn't bad at all. I kept it out of over-drive, and ran about 45 MPH with no problems pulling the hills, even with the A/C on. Only thing I didn't get to do was run the interstate. I think it would do fine with a few changes to the cruiser, suspension for one.

When I was getting ready to pull the hill at the Marina, I had a friend that lives there ready with his diesel Dodge Dually to tow me up if I got stuck. Plus, I still had Slow Range if needed to use it (pretty straight up hill).

I only have to climb out of this marina once a year, as I keep the boat in a slip there. Going down wasn't a problem at all, but I just had to test it going back up. Couldn't wait till the fall to find out how she would do. In the future, i will prob. take a couple 100 mile round trip rides to another beautiful lake north of us. I'll wait till I get the other towing necessities completed though.

I will be adding a tranny cooler with a fan, temp gage for tranny too. The suspension will be getting redone before Fall as well. I'll do the Heavy OME. This trailer is set-up nicely, with a very even load, and fairly light tounge weight.

Just wanted to let you all know that the 3FE is truly a Tractor!!

AND... My Girl's loved riding down to our Cabin sittin' on the tailgate with their Daddy. Many times they rode in the back of the p-up, they thought they were missing out with the Cruiser. This road, by the way, is a dirt road that goes back to our Cabin. There are only 4 houses back there, and it's got an old farm gate to keep people out. After this weekend they finally agreed that they liked the Cruiser better than my Ford Super Crew. That took about 6 months to accomplish.

I also changed the battery to an Optima, and added some new outside window molding/seals to the old girl. Wind noise on the interstate is down quite a lot.

Here are some pics

CIMG1102.jpg

CIMG1105.jpg

Last edited:
:lol:i like the tracter comment.:cool:cool you just made up my mind. ive been putting off getting a camper because nothing else to pull it with, now i will get one:grinpimp:.now just to get those gear sets in:cheers:thanks for rthe writeup

Gears really make all the difference towing with the 3FE. Really, in just ever day driving they've made a huge difference. Oh and get one of those new trailer hitches that you can raise and lower with a 3/8 drive wrench. That will help you level out the load.

Gears really make all the difference towing with the 3FE. Really, in just ever day driving they've made a huge difference.
ya sence your first writeup on the gears ive been really wanting them, i get the springs and gears in the fall:Dthe dam mountains are killing this poor 62:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom