1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing gone wrong photos

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Ratpuke, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ratpuke

Ratpuke SILVER Star

Once upon a time I saw a picture of a heap with the tow strap sitting on the hood - after it went through the back window, driver's seat and front windshield. Anyone know the picture and if so, where I could find it again?

Thanks

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

This ain't that picture, but it's a towing-gone-wrong story...my first trip to Moab (in '02) this was at Slick Rock Campground, after talking to the owner, it was being towed there, stiff-hitched (so flat towing), gusts of wind were bouncing it around a bunch, then a big gust kicked it sideways enough that the super-soft suspension on the jxxp kicked back, then again, and again, and poof, darn near sideways, then ripped clean from the truck (owner claimed it ripped a class IV hitch off the truck), and rolled many, many times. Nobody was hurt as it was just being flat-towed, but mother was it jacked, really nothing salvagable, maybe the axles and the engine, but frame was like a pretzel...

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I was not happy to get pulled out of a big mudhole this weekend with a tow strap with hooks. A simple pull got nowhere so the driver started snatching. I was hunkered down in my seat praying the hooks would hold.

4. Ratpuke

Ratpuke SILVER Star

Here's a similar picture

But it's not the one I was looking for...

5. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

I would rather stay stuck than trust a strap with hooks. I still don't understand why they make those things.

Fly Rod

6. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

I use one with loops @ the ends, I also cary large bolt shackles