Towing - enclosed trailer + Can Am X3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wondering how well these guys will tow say 3500-4000#

I know its within capacity just wondering abut practicality. Anything done to specifically address this? Trans Coolers etc.

We tow a trailer that weighs that much. With good trailer brakes the truck does just fine. The big drawback is the engine. Woefully underpowered if you find yourself towing at altitude up steep grades. Like wide open throttle can yield 20mph kind of bad. Just bought a 200 to take over towing duties. I will sorely miss the 100 when she goes.

We tow a trailer that weighs that much. With good trailer brakes the truck does just fine. The big drawback is the engine. Woefully underpowered if you find yourself towing at altitude up steep grades. Like wide open throttle can yield 20mph kind of bad. Just bought a 200 to take over towing duties. I will sorely miss the 100 when she goes.
We have 2X 2019 F250's and 2020 Ram 2500 at work so if I need to tow hard or far I can take one of those. Most of the towing would run from sea level to the desert or maybe towards Big Bear. Mostly out to the desert where its pretty flat. Just wanted to see if I needed to upgrade anything.

We have 2X 2019 F250's and 2020 Ram 2500 at work so if I need to tow hard or far I can take one of those. Most of the towing would run from sea level to the desert or maybe towards Big Bear. Mostly out to the desert where its pretty flat. Just wanted to see if I needed to upgrade anything.
Ah, gotcha. No, your 100 will do great!

Wondering how well these guys will tow say 3500-4000#

I know its within capacity just wondering abut practicality. Anything done to specifically address this? Trans Coolers etc.
The 100 has a transmission cooler. Just make sure your maintenance is up to date with fluids, brakes, etc, and that your radiator fins aren't plugged up with dead bugs and mud.

A trans oil temp gauge is handy to know how easy to take it climbing hills. Scangauge can be set up to show ATF Temp, not sure if it works for all years, some posts here about how to do it.

I'll chime in here as I just bought a 6x12 vnose enclosed trailer for my track bikes. and have done ~1000 miles so far with the trailer. The weight isn't an issue, it's the aerodynamics. The truck struggles more towing the empty enclosed trailer that is 6' tall inside the box (1300#) than it does towing my autocross car on an open trailer (4500#).

While the truck will tow the weight just fine, it's definitely not ideal as the engine struggles with the aerodynamic drag. My experience on the highway at 65-70 basically results in the truck driving along in 3rd/4th gear depending on the grade. I'm sure some of that is my larger and heavier tires but the truck does not happily cruise along in 5th gear on the highway.

A scangauge is required in my opinion when towing that much weight to monitor trans temps. The truck itself doesn't need to be upgraded but make sure your brakes are good. Personally, if I had a f150/250 available to tow with, I'd use that in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I'll chime in here as I just bought a 6x12 vnose enclosed trailer for my track bikes. and have done ~1000 miles so far with the trailer. The weight isn't an issue, it's the aerodynamics. The truck struggles more towing the empty enclosed trailer that is 6' tall inside the box (1300#) than it does towing my autocross car on an open trailer (4500#).

While the truck will tow the weight just fine, it's definitely not ideal as the engine struggles with the aerodynamic drag. My experience on the highway at 65-70 basically results in the truck driving along in 3rd/4th gear depending on the grade. I'm sure some of that is my larger and heavier tires but the truck does not happily cruise along in 5th gear on the highway.

A scangauge is required in my opinion when towing that much weight to monitor trans temps. The truck itself doesn't need to be upgraded but make sure your brakes are good. Personally, if I had a f150/250 available to tow with, I'd use that in a heartbeat.
the fords and dodge won’t always be available as they are our event haulers and we have a flatbed trailer as well. Hell we’ve also got 2 sprinter 4x4’s which can’t be any worse just want to make sure i won’t roach anything if i need to drag the car behind this.

Just monitor your tranny temps and don't be in a rush. It should be OK. The 4spd seems happiest between 60-65 when towing, either drafting a semi or not, on level ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom