Towing difference Tundra/Sequoia? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone on here had a fair amount of seat time towing with a late model Tundra and a Sequoia? Comparison thoughts? I know a number of guys that tow with Tundra's and they all love them but wondering if the 2nd gen Sequoia is also a decent tow vehicle. Im looking at decent used Sequoia's, 2013-2015 under 75k miles.

Depends on what you are towing.
How much weight ? With my 2015 tundra with the 5.7 I tow a two horse trailer, with horses obviously, and a landscape trailer with a gross weight of 2700 pounds. Don’t even know the trailer is there. The horse trailer has brakes and the new, one week old landscape trailer is getting brakes installed in a week or so. Not to be legal but to save wear on the Tundra and to aid in a panic stop.

A Sequioa would probably do OK with those weights but in the upper limits of weight capacity I doubt it.

Last edited:
That’s a lot of weight for any SUV to be safe.

How far and how often matters. In my landscaping business we figure ablut 2/3 of the vehicles capacity just for wear and tear purposes. The stuff isn’t going cross country but it runs almost every day.

Stopping is key, so brakes and a platform like a Tundra are nice to have.

Well I ended up bringing home a nice used 200 Series Land Cruiser.

2010 with 35k miles.
Not good pics but pics. I did get to look it over inside with it washed and dried before taking it out in the rain.
2010 LC Front wet.jpg
2010 LC Pass wet.jpg

So since I never even was considering 200 - level $$$$ when I wanted a 5.7/3UR - is the 200 a solid rear axle like the Tundra, or IRS like the Sequoia?

Either way, if you’re talking 7K max tow, (and esp if the trailer has brakes) - seems like you’re well within the “hardly notice it back there” -range.

So since I never even was considering 200 - level $$$$ when I wanted a 5.7/3UR - is the 200 a solid rear axle like the Tundra, or IRS like the Sequoia?

Either way, if you’re talking 7K max tow, (and esp if the trailer has brakes) - seems like you’re well within the “hardly notice it back there” -range.

It’s a solid rear axle and 8,500# tow captivity.

It’s a solid rear axle and 8,500# tow captivity.

I have both 2nd Gen sequoia and LC200. For towing, I like the sequoia more than LC. The tow haul mode help when going uphill or downhill. Both rig is capable of towing 8000+ lbs. It's just the sequoia has better gearing and gear shifting mode that help towing.

I have 2008 Tundra with towing package, and tow Tractor and travel trailer regularly at max #8,500. My father in law has 2013 LC200 and I've towed enclosed trailer with it at #5,000 and it is more difficult without the tow/haul mode, with the LC you basically have to tow in the shift mode/4th gear to be comfortable.

For regular towing the tundra is best...

Kabota.jpg

FWIW I tow a 5,500 lb dry weight travel trailer with our 2008 Platinum (AHC) Sequoia at higher altitude - it's probably 900# more when loaded. I'm very happy with how it tows - it's stable and has enough power. I use "tow/haul" mode and manually shift as needed when climbing passes. The limits are largely the payload capacity (+1200#) and a smaller gas tank than the Tundra (we can travel about 150-180 mi / tank...that's a very rough guesstimate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom