Towing Capacity? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum so first off thanks for the good info. I'm about to plunge into this LC world for the first time and looking at an 06' LC/LX. I'd prefer buying a used one (save mucho $$) but one issue is towing. The new V8 in the LC/LX has a rated capacity of 6500 lbs. Others on in this forum have suggested that earlier model LC/LX's also have a 6500 lb towing capacity. Everything I've seen on specs for '05 and prior LC/LX's is that the max towing is 5000 lbs.

While the 5000lbs may work for my boat, it's close enough that I'd worry about grade climes and just stressing the vehicle too much.

Does the AHC provide load leveling when towing?

Any insight would be appreciated.
:cheers:

Welcome:
I would think that normally the towing limit is more a function of suspension, brakes, etc for safety than engine for power.
If there is not enough power, you just go a bit slower. I doubt you would notice a huge difference.

Thanks for the reply. I'm presuming a stock vehicle.. I suppose if I got a used one I could modify the suspension but I'm trying to ascertain if that is necessary. Just doing a google search the tow capacity on pre-'06 LCs is stated in several "auto sites" as 6500. I was under the impression it was only 5000. Anyone have a pre-'06 100 and can look in their service manual? Thanks.

I have recently done several long haul trips towing w/ my 100 (after ditching my newer Dodge CTD because I hated how uncomfortable it was). I have a stock 99 100 series with 33" tyres & a flatbed trailer w/ E-brakes all around...here are my thoughts:

Towing a total of 5,500lbs - Sacramento to Moab

Quite comfortable, particularly on the flater sections...suspension & brake wise the truck was fine and handled the load with no problems. I felt totally in control at all times. It did labor up the long hills, particularly from Provo - Price Utah...a VERY LONG steep grade. The slowest speeds were still 50+ MPH...not bad at all.

Towing a total of 7,500 Lbs - Sacramento to Fresno

Felt sketchy...this is a flat drive with really no hills to speak of. The problem towing this much weight is the suspension is just not built to handle it. Power lags off the line and hills are a bear. Basically IMHO, I think this kind of load exceeds the limits of this rig.

I think with a newer TLC (more HP), you will be very happy towing so long as you don't exceed 6000 lbs very often. I will still tow 7,500 lbs when I have to, I'm just glad it will only be once or twice a year.....but 5,500 lbs, no problem

my .02

e9999, Hoser, and Dieselbigot, thanks for the replys. very helpful. I didn't realize the LX had an on bumper hitch... what a waste (been looking mostly at LCs). I also didn't realize there was a tranny difference between the LC and LX post '03.. Looks like i've got some more thinking to do.

Again, thank you. This was very helpful. :cheers:

-Liberius

Liberius said:
I also didn't realize there was a tranny difference between the LC and LX post '03.. Looks like i've got some more thinking to do.

Again, thank you. This was very helpful. :cheers:

-Liberius

Can you please elaborate on the this... I was under the impression that the engine and tranny were identical on both the LX and LC. I do know that the tranny went to a 5 speed in 03, but this applied to both the LX and LC.

CTapia

re: tranny difference.

My misread of Dieselbigot's post which stated "go with the 03+ LX since it has the 5 speed and AHC". I presumed by the statement that only the LX had the 5 speed, but in looking into it, I think you are correct. Tranny same, but the LX has the AHC. Sorry to confuse you.

-Liberius

I just looked at an 2003 LC and it had the in bumper hitch with the cover that hides it and makes it look like a normal bumper.

Kanab, that's interesting. This was a U.S. cruiser, correct? I wonder what the window sticker said--was the in-bumper hitch optional or standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom