Towing an FJ40 with a towbar (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought a '69 FJ40 and I need to find a way to bring it home. It's about 90 miles away and it runs fine, but I can't find a buddy to make the trip with me, so towing may be my only option. Does anyone have any experience with one of those towbars that U-Haul rents? Would I do any damage to the FJ40? The route is almost all highway (55 mph), not very hilly, if that matters. And the tow vehicle is a '97 Wrangler with the straight 6 and 5 speed.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Marc

Here's the best advice you'll ever receive on this subject: Rent a trailer. The 40 is as heavy or heavier than the wrangler. That's a definite no-no. Not worth possibly losing both vehicles on a downhill ride...towbars are okay if you were pulling with, say, an F350, better yet, rent a truck and trailer that are up to the job...

Congradulations on your "new" 69!

Next... Do not tow your cruiser with your jeep. Your jeep is NOT rated to haul
your cruizer!

The Wrangler Unlimited has a towing capability of 3,500 lbs., which is 1,500 lbs. more than the standard Wrangler. The net vechile weight of a FJ40 is approximatly 3500 lbs. If you trailer it, you need to consider the weight of the trailer as well.

Either hire a professional or find a truck that can haul that much. You could flat tow your 40 but you need to ensure that it is road worthy (tires, diff's, suspension) are all up to snuff.

When I hauled my 68, I hired a professional hauler that had proper insurance. Good luck.

I'd keep looking around for a "friend" to help you. Is there a local cruiser club near you? You'd be surprised by what total strangers, that are cruiser-heads, will do to help.

That said, even if you had a bigger tow vehicle, flat towing a 40 can be a pain in the ass. The few times I've done it, every time I turned a corner, it turned the other direction.

Dan

Just say no

I've towed my 40 with my 80 using one of those U-haul car dollies. I would never do it with a Wrangler.

agreed, keep looking for a friend youll find one. find one with a big truck.

I'm sorta getting the impression that using a towbar may not be such a good idea....

Seriously, thanks for all the responses. It's obvious to me (now) that the towbar isn't a very good idea, so I'll keep looking for another driver to help me out.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Marc

Marc,

Are you still in Lacrosse, WI? What direction is the cruiser from Lacrosse? North?
I maybe able to help.....I am at 54740.
You can e-mail me at FJ40love at gmail.com.

:cheers:

I would pull the jeep with the cruiser before I would the oposite. 90 miles just catch a bus and drive the cruiser home.

cruiserwanted said:
Are you still in Lacrosse, WI? What direction is the cruiser from Lacrosse? North?
I maybe able to help.....I am at 54740.
Still in La Crosse, but the cruiser's near Marshfield, so it's pretty far out of your way.

mallred said:
I would pull the jeep with the cruiser before I would the oposite. 90 miles just catch a bus and drive the cruiser home.
Unfortunately, the long distance bus service around here only runs in 2 directions, and neither of them is the right one.

My wife suggested I ask my daughter to help me out :doh: so hopefully her schedule's not too full this weekend. And the PO is willing to meet me about 60 miles from here, which will also help. One way or another, we'll get it done.

Thanks for all the advice. I do appreciate it.

Marc

Actually if you know you can trust the cruiser it would not be too bad for me. I would cut straight over to 94 from Marshfield and than head up while you would head down........Let me know. I have this week and next week off. Good Luck. Get some pics when you get her so we can all see and enjoy. :cheers:

When I first bought my Cruiser, it hadn't run much at all in years and it isn't exactly what you would call in "good" shape. I had to pick it up drive it for the first time about 200 miles in the middle of the night to get home not knowing any history of the rig at all. It was a crash course in getting familiar with the rig.

The 40 performed perfectly and I got home safe and sound. I even ran about 70mph for half the time. You just can't beat a Toyota :cheers:

I would drive the 40 back way before I tried to tow it with a Wrangler unless you plan on running 45mph the whole way. The 40 probably out weighs the Wrangler and will "push" its rear end out on a curve if you are not VERY careful.

mcstrand said:
I'm sorta getting the impression that using a towbar may not be such a good idea....

Marc

the tow bars not the bad idea its the towing vehicle :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom