Towing a FJ40 home. New to this side of town.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bww.com
Hey Guys,

My first time ever on this side of the forum, I usually am at the 80 pages. Since I just bought a 40 I'll be spending alot of time here too. Okay now for my question.

I went on the Uhaul.com website to see if I can rent an auto trailer from them, I put on the options that I have a FZJ80 that will tow it. It came back with it saying the 80 did not weigh enough to tow the 40??? Just by the looks of it the 40 does not weigh that much. The 80 series can to a freakin boat exceeding 5000lbs. Could the Uhaul website think the 40 weighs the same as the 80? How much does the FJ40 weigh in stock form? It can't be 3 tons.

Rent a trailer from a rental outfit other than Uhaul, and go get your truck.

If you do not have an electric brake controller in your tow rig, I would do that, or make sure that the trailer you are renting has surge brakes.

Be cautious towing your 40 behind your 80. This is not something that I would do, but I know others that do, and it seems to work.

How 'stock' is 'stock'?

3600 lbs min....

If they ask what you are towing, tell them that you are bringing home furnature, and go get your truck.

Good luck!

-Steve

Just tell them your towin a corrolla or somethin like that. Their website is weird.

If the rig has oversized tires try to get the wider version. I think it's the all orange one. My 40 with 35 MTRs fit on the wider one with room to spare.

This 40 I'm gettin has the stock skinnies.

Not the best choice but will work.

how far do you ahve to tow?

Woody towed my 60 on a trailer with his 80 ;)

(but 10 miles max tho)

I'd say about 200 miles.

You do not know anyone with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton that would do this for you?

If you do, I would pull the favor or pay, before using the 80....but that is just me...I tow with a '96 CumminsDodge dually 4x4...or a '96 Volvo WA54...

I just towed a mild modified Fj40 with my stock fj60 for about 150 miles. I rented a uhaul (I used the honda line). I went about 55 to 60 the whole way and it worked just fine. I would keep distance from other cars and you should be fine.

Remeber, you will be heavy and that you are taking a risk. But hey life is a big risk.
Good luck
Ted

You could also use a tow dolley instead of the trailer, it would be less weight behind the 80. I towed my FJ40 across country with the tow dolley with no problems at all. If you have to go through Uhaul(I've been screwed over by those losers way too many times to recommend them), as others have said, bull**** them, they don't seem to know their heads from their a$$es about towing

U-haul wouldn't rent us a car trailer at all unless we had a 3/4 ton or larger truck with a frame mounted hitch. We rented it with a 3/4 ton, hauled 1 Toy PU the first day, and then used a heavy 1/2 ton the next to move my 76 cruiser (frame/body only).

The local rental yard wanted $65 for 4 hours, U-haul was $75 for 48 hours. Rented in one city, returned 175 miles away in another city

Note: my 71 cruiser with hard top and V8 weighs just over 4K lbs

Gus said:
You could also use a tow dolley instead of the trailer, it would be less weight behind the 80. I towed my FJ40 across country with the tow dolley with no problems at all.
Wait, I thought FJ40's are 4WD vehicles so all 4 wheels need to be off the ground?

DigitalKnight86 said:
Gus said:
You could also use a tow dolley instead of the trailer, it would be less weight behind the 80. I towed my FJ40 across country with the tow dolley with no problems at all.
Wait, I thought FJ40's are 4WD vehicles so all 4 wheels need to be off the ground?
4WD but not AWD like your 80. To tow that far rent a dolly and then pull the rear drive shaft off the 40 for the ride home. Lock the front hubs and put the t-case in 4WD to move the 40 around while the rear shaft is out. I've done it with a 60, which sucked, but your 80 should tow fine. Just leave plenty of room to stop and don't even THINK about trying to back up with a loaded tow dolly.

Nick

Zebra,

I'm going to go with your suggestion, just because it makes a lot of sense. Once I get it home I'll take pics of my new FJ40. Won't be until next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom