Towing a 40 with an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

phishtaco

Cincinnati
Threads
Anybody do this? Trailor, dolly, flat tow? How well does the 80 handle the weight? I'm just thinking ahead. Idid try a search also :D

Thanks for the help!

I towed my 40 with my 80 quite few times and it wasn't to big of a deal. There was 0 tongue weight 'cause i was using a tow bar so that wasn't an issue, but, you had to be on your toes when it came to stopping with the auto and all that weight pushing it didn't like to stop real well. It wasn't scary though. Having the full time four wheel drive helped a lot on curvy roads where the 40 used to push my T100's back end around, that didn't happen once.

What i did hate was the fricken' road from SLC to Green River. The 40 on 36" tsl's trying to find it's line behind me in the dark. I couldn't feel it too much, but, the headlights on the car behind me would flash from the left to right mirror all the way. Made me motion sick.

I tow mine on an 18ft trailer. Stopping is an issue, so be careful. I would suggest getting a trailer with one of the axles having a brake and also get a brake controller. I have thought about selling my trailer and getting a smaller one that weights less.

If you are towing in hilly areas do not expect to just run up the the hills. It will labor.

HTH,

Flat towed my 40 with no worries. Well, actually did worry a tad, but only when I realized I had forgotten it was back there and I looked at my GPS which read like 90MPH. :whoops: :D

Does anyone have experience towing in low range on the pavement to save the wear and tear on the torque convertor? I can see using it on some steep hills if the speed remains below 35MPH. Of course this is with the center diff lock disabled.

Not really practical because you don't have shift on the fly capability. Pulling my boat out of a steep ramp yes.

I routinely tow at about 25-35 mph when crossing the highest passes with our 6000lb boat. That's at about 90% throttle. I wouldn't stop to shift into low and can't see it being something you'd likely ever run into a need for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom