Towing 80 on car carrier

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to tow the FZJ80'down to
Baja on a car trailer because it will be more comfortable in the Armada and less wear and tear on The LC. It's currently on the trailer but I'm not happy with my straps for the front and back. I've always heard for long distance towing go around the axles. But between breathers and brake lines I can't seem to get a good and safe diagonal pull using the axles. How do others strap or chain their 80 on a trailer?

I picked up some axle straps from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. The flat rings will thread through spring perches and between axle/ brake lines.

So I should try and thread my axle straps on the outside of the spring perches front and rear like the areas indicated in these pics? As you can see in the bottom picture I currently have the strap around the front control arms behind the front axle.

IMG_2839 1-edit.jpg
IMG_2836-edit.jpg

Towed mine with tire straps a few weeks ago on a 7 hour trip... no issues whatsoever, didn't move at all.

Bigezvol - did you use those up/over type straps or did you use a strap through the wheel and back to the ring/hook?

So I should try and thread my axle straps on the outside of the spring perches front and rear like the areas indicated in these pics? As you can see in the bottom picture I currently have the strap around the front control arms behind the front axle.

View attachment 1027058 View attachment 1027059

For the two pics, I strap mine where the red circles are. I have thousands and thousands of miles like this. Not sure what you are doing in the bottom right, maybe going around the LCA? That won't cut it IMO. relocate.

Oh, make sure you cross them too so the straps make a X. Front and back like this

IMG_3194.JPG

Oh, btw, that was when I got my truck. This is how it is now. Gotta have some cruiser shots :)

IMG_4185.JPG

Thanks Arcteryx. As I mentioned in the picture post - in the lower right I have the axle straps around the front control arms directly behind the axles. I'll reroute between the spring perch and knuckle when I get home.

Why not use the factory loops on the front and back of the frame?

Why not use the factory loops on the front and back of the frame?

That loads the suspension and you run the risk of hitting a bump, compressing the suspension which would leave slack on the straps. It's ok for short trips or small loads but I'm towing over 1000 miles and want it secure.

Thanks all. Took another look and got the front squared away. The rear was a different story and only got one around the axle. The driver rear just had no space with the hardlines for brakes, ABS, and emergency brake cable so I strapped to both recovery hooks; 5 straps in all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom